• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is Australias most feared bowler?

Australia's most feared bowler is...

• McGrath

Votes: 16 53.3%
  • Lee

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Warne

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Gillespie

Votes: 6 20.0%

• Total voters

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
McGrath and Warne together - can't split them - then Gillespie.

Most international batsmen are probably more afraid of Ashley Giles than Brett Lee.

twctopcat

International Regular
Lee, hahahaha. Should have put kasprowicz in their instead, damn fine bowler. Or even Brad Williams, ok so i'm joking.

Sudeep

International Captain
While I voted for McGrath, I agree with Neil. Together McGrath and Warne are the most dangerous bowling combination ever...

twctopcat

International Regular
Sudeep said:
While I voted for McGrath, I agree with Neil. Together McGrath and Warne are the most dangerous bowling combination ever...
Hmmm, good idea for a thread there, best combination ever.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As a West Indian I'd say McGrath of yesteryear. Currently I'd pick Gillespie though. He's an amazingly potent bowler who I'd rate among the top 5 in the world.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The main thing that's changed WR McGrath is batsmen have used the misled thought that he's lost something to decrease the fear of him - and hence decrease his potency on even, non-seaming wickets.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Taking them all at their peak, I'd have said Warne, for largely psychological reasons. Most likely to tie you up in knots or rip you out when you're set. And also because I think the majority of bats out there absolutely despise the thought of falling to him.

On current form I'll still go with Warne, but it's pretty close between he and McGrath, and it occasionally rotates between them.

There are times when Gillespie is on fire, and seems unplayable, but it very much comes in spurts where he's concerned (which is not to say that he's mediocre the rest of the time).

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
got to be gillespie at the moment, i didnt rate him when he first came through in the mid ninties, now hes probably one of the worlds top 2 or 3 bowlers....

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
The titles of these threads confound me somewhat. Shouldn't Australia's "most feared" batsman/bowler be the one they are most afraid of?

Edit: I now understand... It means "the bowler Australia has who is the most feared by other nations". Whoops, my bad, hehe.

Eclipse

International Debutant
I voted Gillespie because on a flat track he is the one bowler who will continue to ask questions to the batsman.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Eclipse said:
I voted Gillespie because on a flat track he is the one bowler who will continue to ask questions to the batsman.
I assume you mean with the ball rather than the mouth?