• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in Namibia and Zimbabwe

Langeveldt

Soutie
Not long now..

Big bit in the telegraph today bigging Namibia's cause up, they have a better chance of upsetting England than Zimbabwe at the moment. Apparently there is a lot of purpose down there.. And remembering the last time the two met it took an incredible run out to save England's skin.. AJ Burger on the riot. England should romp home, but it's all food for thought..

Good for them.. If there is going to be any good come out of this tour, it will be at the beginning with the two one day matches. Hope for a good contest (certainly better than the rout predicted in Zimbabwe, which has been spoken about enough IMO)

Anyway, my change in avatar is a shot back to the old days of cricketweb, when everyone had their favourite non test nation as their avatars!

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Langeveldt said:
when everyone had their favourite non test nation as their avatars!
I'll stick to Nemi. She's pretty and it saves me the bother of digging up the logo of the NCB (which from memory beats the FA's when it comes to blandness)...

Oh, and England to beat Namibia by 120-odd runs.

Joao_Quinto

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Langeveldt said:
hahaha.. You guys never miss an oppertunity :).. Booger Orf and go moan about the Mumbai wicket :)
Dont mind if I do...

So why not have England have a crack on it batting second against India? :p

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Joao_Quinto said:
Dont mind if I do...

So why not have England have a crack on it batting second against India? :p
England have already chased down far more challenging targets in the last 2 years. Australia now have the pathetic batting collapse scout badge instead of England, congratulations you've earned it.

I hope Anderson does well in the series instead of Gough - who's just past it. Would be nice if the new batsmen do well so someone can take Solanki's place in the full strength side too.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If England lose any game it will be one of the biggest upsets of all-time.
But Namibia's recent destruction of Zimbabwe "A" (alias half the Zimbabwean first-XI) suggests they're at least as good as the first-team Zimbabwe.
Hopefully the tour will provide no political problems and we won't get Vaughan and Solanki or any other substandard player getting a huge statistical boost, rather an average of 35-or-so and a sparing of embarrasment.
Oh, and hopefully Gough will get 15 wickets at 2.5-an-over or so, just to annoy his detractors. And hopefully (sorry to say it, nothing against the two personally) Hondo and Panyangara will go around the park without getting any wickets.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
Big bit in the telegraph today bigging Namibia's cause up, they have a better chance of upsetting England than Zimbabwe at the moment. Apparently there is a lot of purpose down there.. And remembering the last time the two met it took an incredible run out to save England's skin.. AJ Burger on the riot. England should romp home, but it's all food for thought..

Good for them.. If there is going to be any good come out of this tour, it will be at the beginning with the two one day matches. Hope for a good contest (certainly better than the rout predicted in Zimbabwe, which has been spoken about enough IMO)
Jan-Berrie Burger looks a good player, it'd be nice to see him getting some more consistent exposure to medium-level cricket (ie South African First-Class\List-A-one-day scene), not totally sure about the rest. Gerrie Snyman seems to have a few admirers - apparently he's got a very good action and he doesn't look as wayward as some of the Namibians.
Daniel Keulder won glowing opinions during the England-Namibia game but doesn't appear to have done much in his other limited chances. Be nice to see him make something a bit more of himself.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Yeh Danie Keulder and Burger are the mainstays of the batting. Riaan Walters hit a beautiful 100 against the Zimbabweans, (but was dropped a lot admittedly and I'm still not convinced about him)..

Not sure if Rudi van Vuuren is still around, but he and Burton van Rooi can bowl nicely, and they have quite a few decent all rounders (esp. Deon Kotze)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
SKY don't dare go near Zimbabwe, but that series is being covered on SETA (Sony TV). I'm not lining Mugabe's pockets.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Neil Pickup said:
SKY don't dare go near Zimbabwe, but that series is being covered on SETA (Sony TV). I'm not lining Mugabe's pockets.
I already have done (Have no less than four Zimbabwe ODI shirts)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm not even totally certain if the Namibia games are ODIs (and the only non-Top-Level game I've ever heard of Sky covering is the Australia "A" game at Hobart on Ashes tours), CricInfo haven't mentioned them, I only know about them because they've been on Ceefax ever since they published the tour schedule.
As for the Zimbabwe games, Sky "have no intention" of covering them and I don't blame them - either for not wanting to send their employees into very possible danger or wanting to have to film the happenings in a country in such a terrible state - including the possible abuse of cameramen who try to film what Mad Bob's secret-policemen don't want shown to The World (even though everyone knows about it and no-one who can act to stop it will because they're far more concerned about supposed sponsors of terrorism).