• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

IS Moh Sami a Better(Much better)VErsion of Ata-Ur-Rehman?

Bouncer

State Regular
This has been bugging me sice the India series earlier this yr....he seems to have few things similar to Ata, who mostly just seem to bang the ball on ground, mostly short of a good length and was very predictable...same is with sami who mosty seems to put the ball a little fuller than Ata but has been becoming predictable day by day...both Sami and Ata have kindaa similar action with just not w whole lot of back and Mid body being involved in their run-ups and delivery actions....both just seem to run in and bowl with using their shoulders and less of beding of their backs.....

So is sami just a Better Version of Ata, what do u guys think?

KishanTeli

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
To be honest, i didnt see Rehman bowl much, but I do think that Sami is slightly over-rated. He just doesn't seem to use his brain when he bowls (i've only seen him play against India though, Tests and ODI's which has been quite often lately). Obviously, with his pace he is likely to bowl some unplayable deliveries (which lead to wickets) but I feel he lacks consistency in his line and length and gives away too many '4-balls'.

This guy has a test bowling average of over 45, and his ER in ODI's is 4.87 which are both way too high IMO.

I can recall on a couple of occasions Rameez Raja saying he thinks he is over-rated as well.

Maybe i'm being harsh? Is his role just to bowl as fast as possible?

http://uk.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/PLAYERS/PAK/M/MOHAMMAD_SAMI_07010776/

Mecnun

U19 Debutant
Sami has been disappointing and I have been an advocate of dropping him from the team.. I actually think he lacks grey matter. He just bowls quick, no variety, no experimentation no thought or plan is evident from what I have seen of him so far. It is a shame really because I think he could be really good...Hope Bob Chacha works on him..

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Ata-ur-Rehman was terrible. The lesser said of him, the better.

Pakistan is lucky to have Mohammad Sami. He has a lot of talent, and power, to make an impact, but as someone pointed out, he doesn't use it well. This is where the catain and coach play a key role. Rather than use him as an old-ball bowler, with which he can do little useful, he has to be taught some good tricks of new-ball bowling. If he can get seam movement at the pace at which he bowls, he can be a very productive player for the team, and far more than that pie-throwing medium-pacer who now opens the bowling in ODI's for Pakistan.

KishanTeli

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I can only remember Sami bowling well once, and that was the second ODI between Pakistan and India in Pakistan. He was getting alot of reverse swing and actually thinking about where he is going to bowl.

I think it was the game when India were chasing 320 odd (?) and just came up short after Sachin had scored 143 (?). Can't be bothered to check.

Buddhmaster

International Captain
I've never known wat was so good about Sami. He's really nothing special. Too unpredictable and doesn't do enough damage.

Choora

State Regular
PAKMAN said:
GOOD QUESTION :D

Sami is a nightmare for his own team's captain, and a dream for opponent team captain! What a messed up bowler this guy is.

Atta was worse though.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Arjun said:
Ata-ur-Rehman was terrible. The lesser said of him, the better.

Pakistan is lucky to have Mohammad Sami. He has a lot of talent, and power, to make an impact, but as someone pointed out, he doesn't use it well. This is where the catain and coach play a key role. Rather than use him as an old-ball bowler, with which he can do little useful, he has to be taught some good tricks of new-ball bowling. If he can get seam movement at the pace at which he bowls, he can be a very productive player for the team, and far more than that pie-throwing medium-pacer who now opens the bowling in ODI's for Pakistan.
sorry to say, but every bowler at test level needs to be able to take a wicket with an old ball - you'll only ever get 7 overs max where the ball is "new"

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He also toured England in 1996, and provided respite from Wasim, Waqar and, above all, Mushtaq.

Beleg

International Regular
I rather like Mohammad Sami. He is a hard-worker, does not shy of being the work-horse and can ball for long-hours unchanged. And he can be pretty devestating on his day. His figures against NZ are a proof of that. But on the other hand I agree with those who complain about his consistency. I guess his main problem is that he doesn't seem to have mastered the art of reverse-swing, which at his pace effectively renders him useless against master batsmen on flat pitches that we get now a days.

And comparing him to Ata-ur-Rahman is a friggin' disgrace.