• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Words between Yousuf Youhana n Irfan Pathan

Shounak

Banned
"Lloyd announced that Yousuf Youhana and Irfan Pathan had also been found guilty of breaching ICC's code of conduct. The two exchanged a few words in the 35th over, for which Youhana was fined 75% of his match fee and Pathan was fined 50%."

Unfortunately I couldn't see the match. Anyone know what happened? Anything significant or significantly entertaining?

Dar

School Boy/Girl Captain
They shouldn't have been fined, it was just a bit of banter, like Merv Hughes said thats how the game should be played, with feeling.

As for Ganguly, i can't understand his supension, surely the reason for the slow rate was mainly down to Salman Butts massive delay when he got injured? Its seems shocking to ban him for two test matches for that

Hit4Six

U19 Debutant
as pathan walked down the pitch after he bowled he nudged passed youhana and then turned and nudged passed him again, in response youhana replied by tapping him with his bat made the match so much more interesting given the amount of delays

TendulkarFan

School Boy/Girl Captain
Dar said:
They shouldn't have been fined, it was just a bit of banter, like Merv Hughes said thats how the game should be played, with feeling.

As for Ganguly, i can't understand his supension, surely the reason for the slow rate was mainly down to Salman Butts massive delay when he got injured? Its seems shocking to ban him for two test matches for that
I can't understand this either for the same reason you mentioned. Throw in the ball change delays and you can clearly make the case that India's over-rate wasn't nearly as bad as this suspension makes it look.

Having said that, the only negative I see out of this is that Dravid's batting may get negatively impacted again as he has to double up as a captain. I don't see Dravid as any worse a captain than Ganguly. Ganguly certainly won't be missed as a middle-order batsman. Kaif is a good replacement.

deeps

International 12th Man
that is the harshest suspension if ever there was one! ball having to be wiped every ball, so many ball changes, injured batsman, runner coming on and off etc etc. agree, the match took forever

i think it may have to do with the fact that ganguls dind't even try to speed up the game. However, i totaly disagree wtih ODI's and test matches being mixed here..if he faulted in an ODI, he should be suspended for 2 odi's not test matches

2 tests is very harsh as it stands

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Its harsh, but I think he got suspended because its his second time in 12 months. Unfortunate because he misses the whole damn series.

Dravid will have to captain again, although they are appealing the decision.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
deeps said:
i totaly disagree wtih ODI's and test matches being mixed here..if he faulted in an ODI, he should be suspended for 2 odi's not test matches
That's interesting. What happened if Ganguly was a ODI player only? Would that mean they would suspend him from 2 tests, but he could play the next ODI? Just say for example Andrew Symonds was captaining Australia in ODIs (example people, quiet) but doesn't play tests. What would happen there? Do they just suspend you from the next international match, or do they look at what you are likely to play in?

viktor

State Vice-Captain
I'm guessing it would be the next games you play in.
Coming back to Ganguly, its high time somebaody punished him for the over rate; he is almost always over the alloted time. Now that they have gone and done it, I hope the ICC remains consistent.

deeps

International 12th Man
pathan seems to have a massive ego now.and i'm not the only one that's noticed it

ego's should not be allowed on a team regardless of how good a player they are

PAKMAN

State 12th Man
deeps said:
pathan seems to have a massive ego now.and i'm not the only one that's noticed it

well said son

Bouncer

State Regular
deeps said:

My comment is going to sound Harsh...but its true that he doesnt have too much a Ego problem...its mostly him being inexperience he is fairly new to indo-pak cricket...so his Emotions are higher than other Indian Players, plus all the hype that he gets from indian media...makes him feel little more of himself than what he actually is.....

Give him a yr or two and he will realize that In India pak games, he is bound to lose more often than win....this will make him sleep better......and he will be more sensable person like Other Indian greats like Sachin Gavaskar and Kapil.

Shounak

Banned
I didn't realise this would turn into a Pathan bashing post but here I go. He's nothing like Patel, he's got raw talent and good addition into the Indian team. His pace, accuracy n that huge amount of swing he generates can't be overlooked by selectors and aren't. He doesn't require the support of politicians to make the team.

Secondly, his attitude. His aggression is a positive bonus to the Indian team. He doesn't take crap from people, despite their standing. I'm not suggesting emulating someone like Matty Hayden or McGrath, but the abillity to stand up to these players is something that India needs. If you were watching the cricket here in Australia then you'd see Pathan constantly getting into little tiff's with Hayden, not many other Indian players would. The players with this desirable mindset are Ganguly, Kaif n Bhaji.

The last thing India needs is some little wimp afraid of his own shadow. Did anyone watch Warne telling Patel "Don't be a little smartarse, when the bowlers ready you get ready" or something like that. Patel looked like he was going to wet his nappies right there.

Pathan, like Ganguly is a player that can probably be kept in because of his attitude and temperament. Whilst detested by some and flipped of as "ego and ****iness" are beneficial to the team. Especially a now ailing team such as India.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Shounak said:
I didn't realise this would turn into a Pathan bashing post but here I go. He's nothing like Patel, he's got raw talent and good addition into the Indian team. His pace, accuracy n that huge amount of swing he generates can't be overlooked by selectors and aren't. He doesn't require the support of politicians to make the team.

Secondly, his attitude. His aggression is a positive bonus to the Indian team. He doesn't take crap from people, despite their standing. I'm not suggesting emulating someone like Matty Hayden or McGrath, but the abillity to stand up to these players is something that India needs. If you were watching the cricket here in Australia then you'd see Pathan constantly getting into little tiff's with Hayden, not many other Indian players would. The players with this desirable mindset are Ganguly, Kaif n Bhaji.

The last thing India needs is some little wimp afraid of his own shadow. Did anyone watch Warne telling Patel "Don't be a little smartarse, when the bowlers ready you get ready" or something like that. Patel looked like he was going to wet his nappies right there.

Pathan, like Ganguly is a player that can probably be kept in because of his attitude and temperament. Whilst detested by some and flipped of as "ego and ****iness" are beneficial to the team. Especially a now ailing team such as India
By the Patel comparison, I mean he's another 19-year-old who has promised a lot but delivered a little, and is also getting too ****y for the benefit of the team. Agreed he's potentially a more productive player than Parthiv- in bowling and in batting, but the results have shown otherwise. His Test match batting average and bowling average won't have him in the opposition's playing XI, and given the unpredictable nature of ODI's, he has succeeded to some extent, while Harmison, a far better bowler, has not. Nobody is denying that he has the talent, and unlike most other players in the Indian team, power, but he has to make good use of it.

But that will not happen by trying to look tough or sound aggressive. In the process, he loses his concentration. After that tiff with Hayden, the big Queenslander scored a powerful century, the Aussies made a big total and Pathan conceded too many runs to stop them. Sledging is not good for subcontinental or Carribean players. Definitely not agaisnt the Aussies. Sangakkara started bad-mouthing the batsmen and also started making laughable keeping mistakes. Tino Best gave Hayden a verbal and ended up going for over 170 runs at 5 an over, wicketless. Shahid Afridi sledged Sachin Tendulkar and ended up with terrible bowling figures. All of their teams had a torrid time. The same has happened to the Indians as well. Rather than get into a tiff with Hayden, Pathan should concentrate on is bowling. Image is nothing. Performance is everything.

deeps

International 12th Man
standing up for yourself is one thing, showing utter disrespect is another. he had a tiff with marto in the past series, where marto seemed to have done nothing. And sledging some1 with 100 next to thier name in the way he does. He thinks he's better than everyone.

He has loads of talent, but needs to tuck away that ever-growing ego of his. The "idolising" of him has gotten to him. Only great players and great people wont let it get to them. Sachin Tendulkar is a classic example. People literally worship him, and yet he will show respect for the opposition when deserved. Dravid is another good example. he stands up for himself, when glared at, he will look straight back at the bowler etc. But he still has respect for the opposition. He doesn't have the mentality that he is better than the bowler, whomever the bowler is

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Arjun said:
By the Patel comparison, I mean he's another 19-year-old who has promised a lot but delivered a little, and is also getting too ****y for the benefit of the team. .
REALLY !!
What did they give him the best emerging cricketer award for....I wonder :sleep: