• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

If you could change anything about cricket -

tooextracool

International Coach
they can and do show video replays of many balls during the game particularly in australia. sometimes its blatantly obvious on the replay that the umpire made a poor decision. its gotten to the point where bowlers actually wait after certain deliveries just to see the replay on the screen as to why the batsman was given out/not out.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
So why do you have to wait till its 100% accurate? Snickometer, 3rd umpire replays and other devices are still more accurate than on field umpires. If you can pass on tricky decisions to the 3rd umpire, and he still can't get it, then the benefit of the doubt goes to the batsman and it's 'not out'. There's nothing wrong with that.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
You can't recall a batsman like that - completely undermines the umpire.
I think that umpires would prefer to be saved from making an embarassing mistake rather than shown up the next day as an incompetent umpire.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
But that suggestion does exactly that.

I think the run out in the current Test shows technology is not infallible.

Can you imagine if that had happened in the recent India Australia series?

Well i would legitimised chucking!

There are a number of bowlers these days who clearly chucks, they get reported by umpires, after which they alters their action slightly and then they come back and continue to chucks.

The S's of Pakistan are clear example of them.

If we can't stop chucking then why don't we just allow them openly to chuks? :@

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
You're walking along a road when you come to a T-junction.

To the left is a burning flame pit. To the right, the road continues.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
tooextracool said:
yes but we'd much rather have umpires make wrong decisions that can potentially change matches....

err i said 'more obvious' ones, by which i mean the ones that are obvious using technology, yet not so obvious without.
Personally, I think we should just accept the umpires decision and get on with it...

Craig

World Traveller
Change the law that allows the batsman to run in front of the stumps when the fielder is taking a shy at the stumps, and change it to that if the batsman does it, the batsman is given out, 'obstructed field'. They knew the risks in taking a risky single and it is their own fault if they get run out (unless it is a brilliant bit of fielding).

Thoughts?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
But if it's the most direct root to take (which is a straight line) - surely that discriminates against the batsman?

KennyD

International Vice-Captain
I reckon this game would be better, if it didn't have a wicket keeper!

^silly point :p

tooextracool

International Coach
Son Of Coco said:
Personally, I think we should just accept the umpires decision and get on with it...
thats never going to happen, you and i know it. and personally i think that it certainly is unfair for any team to get 2-3 poor decisions against them, because those decision can and have really affected the results of many close games.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Craig said:
Change the law that allows the batsman to run in front of the stumps when the fielder is taking a shy at the stumps, and change it to that if the batsman does it, the batsman is given out, 'obstructed field'. They knew the risks in taking a risky single and it is their own fault if they get run out (unless it is a brilliant bit of fielding).

Thoughts?
So the batsman instead of looking in the dirsection of the crease to which he is running should be looking at the ball (which may involve running backwards if the ball is behind him) all the time and keep doing a Fred Astair depending on what the fielder decides to do with the ball to avoid being given out obstructing the field :-O

Craig

World Traveller
But doesn't that usually happen when running between the wickets, looking at the line of the ball?

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
But if it's the most direct root to take (which is a straight line) - surely that discriminates against the batsman?
Wouldn't that involve running down the middle of the wicket which would get a telling off by the umpire?

What I'm talking about is batsmen running down the wicket, then changing paths to cover the stumps. That is what I'm talking about.