• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Darrell Hair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warne is god

U19 12th Man
Let us now remember that great day when Darryl Hair had the guts to stand up to the ICCD (International Cricket Council of Di**heads) and no-ball Murali for throwing it. No umpire has had the balls to do it since and I feel that Darryl Hair deserves to be knighted for his services to Cricket. He was the umpire with enough courage to no-ball Murali. It seems very much like Arpartied in that as soon as you show one sign of being different the people in charge pounce on you. Ie. In the movie "Cry Freedom", a movie based in Arpatied South Africa the journalist Donald Woods began supporting the Black movement. His career was ruined and he was forced to leave the country.

Darryl Hair had the courage to do what he believed was right. He was sacked from international cricket and now struggles to umpire a game in Australia. Why? Because he did what was right and no balled a chucker. Let us hope that there are more umpires like Darryl Hair that no-ball Murali and other chuckers around the world.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Warne is god said:
It seems very much like Arpartied in that as soon as you show one sign of being different the people in charge pounce on you. Ie. In the movie "Cry Freedom", a movie based in Arpatied South Africa the journalist Donald Woods began supporting the Black movement. His career was ruined and he was forced to leave the country.

Darryl Hair had the courage to do what he believed was right. He was sacked from international cricket and now struggles to umpire a game in Australia. Why? Because he did what was right and no balled a chucker. Let us hope that there are more umpires like Darryl Hair that no-ball Murali and other chuckers around the world.
While I have some understanding for Hair's position, comparing a cricket umpire (who, so far as I know, is currently on the International Panel) to a civil rights activist who fled a country upon threat of death has to be the height of tastelessness - and I'm sure that Hair would agree.

Andre

International Regular
Warne is god said:
No umpire has had the balls to do it since and I feel that Darryl Hair deserves to be knighted for his services to Cricket. He was the umpire with enough courage to no-ball Murali.
Ross Emerson had the balls to do it in 1999, unfortunately, he just didn't have the marbles to deal with the consequences and it ended his career...

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Andre said:
Ross Emerson had the balls to do it in 1999, unfortunately, he just didn't have the marbles to deal with the consequences and it ended his career...
Well Daryl Hair has a bit more going for him; he is an excellent umpire, controversy aside.

Andre

International Regular
Warne is god said:
Actually, he was head of the NSW cricket umpires association until last year, where he resigned because of his move to England - for lifestyle purposes. He hasn't been ran out of the country, as you seem to suggest.

The reason he struggles to umpire a game in Australia is for the simple reason of neutral umpires. He is also on the international panel, officiating in a number of the England - West Indies Test matches this winter from memory and I'm sure he would have controlled more internationals since then.

You've gone more than a little over the top - I dare say you're just trying to stir up the pot here, because some of the suggestions are absurd. Cricket is only a game, remember.

Andre

International Regular
Mr Casson said:
Well Daryl Hair has a bit more going for him; he is an excellent umpire, controversy aside.
Absolutely - I dare say Hair, Rudi and Taufel are the best umpires in the world by a fairly comfortable margin at this point in time.

Oh, and as for why people haven't been called for chucking - there are now processes in place in which umpires report the actions to the match referees to avoid the calling mid-match.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Andre said:
Absolutely - I dare say Hair, Rudi and Taufel are the best umpires in the world by a fairly comfortable margin at this point in time.

Oh, and as for why people haven't been called for chucking - there are now processes in place in which umpires report the actions to the match referees to avoid the calling mid-match.
You're right about Rudi Koertzen. He's come a long way from a few years ago when everyone was calling for his head. Just goes to show that umpires form is as cyclic as players.

kasra

Cricket Spectator
Andre said:
Ross Emerson was a cheat! He was the one who no-balled Murali's leg spinner's. Anyone with a little cricket knowledge knows that the leg spin comes from the back of the hand and cannot be thrown, but he unashamedly called them, proving that his calls were pre-meditated. Thats is cheating pure and simple! Imagine deciding to give someone lbw before the ball is bowled. Good riddance!

As for Hair, he was an awful biased umpire! He always gave the benefit of the doubt to Australia, not to the batsman.

Waughney

International Debutant
Warne is god said:
Let us now remember that great day when Darryl Hair had the guts to stand up to the ICCD (International Cricket Council of Di**heads) and no-ball Murali for throwing it. No umpire has had the balls to do it since and I feel that Darryl Hair deserves to be knighted for his services to Cricket. He was the umpire with enough courage to no-ball Murali. It seems very much like Arpartied in that as soon as you show one sign of being different the people in charge pounce on you. Ie. In the movie "Cry Freedom", a movie based in Arpatied South Africa the journalist Donald Woods began supporting the Black movement. His career was ruined and he was forced to leave the country.

:wacko:

deeps

International 12th Man
kasra said:
Ross Emerson was a cheat! He was the one who no-balled Murali's leg spinner's. Anyone with a little cricket knowledge knows that the leg spin comes from the back of the hand and cannot be thrown,

yes, but murali is different....he cannot straighten his arm, even when bowlig a leggy,so it still appears he's chucking

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
I thought Darryl Hair was one of the best umpires around. Probably still is with all the crappy decisions getting handed out.

He should have never got hassled about no-balling Murali. He was just doing his job.

Craig

World Traveller
Warne is god said:

Talk about an over the top post.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
kasra said:
Ross Emerson was a cheat! He was the one who no-balled Murali's leg spinner's. Anyone with a little cricket knowledge knows that the leg spin comes from the back of the hand and cannot be thrown, but he unashamedly called them, proving that his calls were pre-meditated. Thats is cheating pure and simple! Imagine deciding to give someone lbw before the ball is bowled. Good riddance!

As for Hair, he was an awful biased umpire! He always gave the benefit of the doubt to Australia, not to the batsman.
I really can't believe I've just read this.
Not possible to chuck a leg-break? Where did that come from? You can chuck anything!
Yes, Ross Emerson is an idiot but Darrell Hair has always been an Umpire of exceptional integrity in my book, and was right to call Murali when he did, even if proved wrong in hindsight. Fortunately, no-one has broken the protocal designed to stop this crazy idea of chucking calls being made on the spontaneous whim - except Emerson in 1999 - but in 1996 it was still the right thing to do.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente

In firm agreement with this.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Some call him a racist, but I don't agree. He was a top class idiot. The example was the Ovalgate.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Some call him a racist, but I don't agree. He was a top class idiot. The example was the Ovalgate.
Really? Still with this?

I'm no fan of Hair, but when he warned Pakistan of the consequences of them not reappearing and they still failed to show it seems fairly obvious where the blame lies.

Status
Not open for further replies.