• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Cricket Trivia - 'SJS format'

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What was the game in question?
Wikipedia just says a 'non first-class match', someone who has a CricketArchive sub may be able to get it. That's where L&L got the question from too, the 'Second XI' term giving it away - we didn't have formal 2nd XIs in the manner of the A team back then, but sometimes gathered up teams to tour NZ, we didn't play a test against them between the retrospectively declared one in 1946 and 1973. In this case there was tour of SA on (in '49-'50) so you could call it a second team.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Richie Benaud mentions this performance in the piece he wrote to honour Davidson in the Wisden Cricketer of the Year 1962 .... though he did describe the 157 not out as being 160 not out.
The section in question reads, "New Zealand tourists tell of the match at Wairarapa where he took all ten wickets for 29 and then made a brilliant 160 not out to complete he day."
Wikipedia mentions this performance as being for a 2nd XI and gives his innings as 157 not out.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Which cricketer, while batting at the lowest position, scored over half of his teams completed Test innings total ?

geordie613

Cricket Spectator
I'd guess South Africa, actually. Both the Bachers (Ali & Adam) are Jewish & (although he didn't play tests he did play international cricket in the form of ODIs) so is Dale Benkenstein. There maybe others I'm not aware of.

I don't know of any English cricketers of Jewish extraction, which is pretty surprising really.
There is actually one England test player who was Jewish although he only discovered his heritage later in life. Fred Trueman was Jewish.