• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Cricket Trivia - 'SJS format'

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
willb88 said:
What would happen if the batsman hit the ball back to the bowler from his crease, the bowler threw the ball back to the stumps and the batsmen jumped out of the way and whilst he was in the air the ball hit the stumps,, would he be out or not out?

(A general cricket question, that actually needs cricket knowledge to answer rather than being able to search the internet.)
If he had already grounded himself or the bat (behind the crease) before jumping he would be not out ! If he had not grounded but jumped and was in the air he would be out.

willb88

Cricket Spectator
Correct!!!

Not the hardest of questions, but the way I think this game should be played. Quick questions, quick answers that need cricket knowledge, better than all these "number" questions or questions that everyone has to search the web for the answers because that is not cricket knowledge.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
willb88 said:
Not the hardest of questions, but the way I think this game should be played. Quick questions, quick answers that need cricket knowledge, better than all these "number" questions or questions that everyone has to search the web for the answers because that is not cricket knowledge.
Fair Enough ! We do occasionally get some questions intermingled occasionally of this nature !

But I take your point and we will endeavour to include this type of questions more often .

OK here's a question of similar nature -

The batsman had his bat broken by a fast delivery and the broken piece knocks off the bail while the ball is caught !!

What's your decision? :D

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
Is it a dead ball?
Nope ! :)

Willb88 one of the reasons we use the number questions, Mate, is apart from the fun its also an easy way of post boosting !! (ie to increase post numbers :laugh: :laugh: )

Last edited:

willb88

Cricket Spectator
oops already said that.
The number questions I don't mind if they are cricket knowledge ones, but the stupid ones get me, that nobody knows and have to search for the questions should make us rely on our knowledge rather than internet searching skills, which was one of the aims of the starter of this thread.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
willb88 said:
Would it be dead ball because the equipment of the batsman broke before being caught?
I said no before, because the decision given then {at the Test in 1921} was 'out caught' .[Batsman A.Ducat (England) bowler - EA McDonald]

I guess now it would be deemed dead. So you are correct.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Can we revert to this one or do you have any question in mind ?
(Will take your point on board - re-future questions)

Question

A unique Test Match !

willb88

Cricket Spectator
That's a bit vague isn't it, there could be thousands of answers for that. Like players to play one test match, therefore unique. Test Mtach venues to only hold one test match etc etc, how 'bout a clue Jason

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
willb88 said:
What would happen if the batsman hit the ball back to the bowler from his crease, the bowler threw the ball back to the stumps and the batsmen jumped out of the way and whilst he was in the air the ball hit the stumps,, would he be out or not out?

(A general cricket question, that actually needs cricket knowledge to answer rather than being able to search the internet.)
Happened in an East Devon U13 game last summer (except it was mid-wicket, not the bowler, and at the striker's end). Cue confused square-leg umpire (me) - but I did get it right in the end!

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
JASON said:
Can we revert to this one or do you have any question in mind ?
(Will take your point on board - re-future questions)

Question

A unique Test Match !
Free George Davis? (The abanonded England-Australia Test of 1973 (?) followed a defaced pitch)

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
willb88 said:
That's a bit vague isn't it, there could be thousands of answers for that. Like players to play one test match, therefore unique. Test Mtach venues to only hold one test match etc etc, how 'bout a clue Jason
If you follow this format you will find the original question starts vague . Its upto the others to figure out the answer ,over 20 questions for which the questioner can answer yes or no . (Believe me it always starts vague and by asking the right question you can always figure out the answer in due course )

To make things easy, I will give a Hint right away !!

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Question

A unique Test Match !

Neil Pickup said:
Free George Davis? (The abanonded England-Australia Test of 1973 (?) followed a defaced pitch)
Q 1 was it the abandoned Test Match of 1973 (due to defaced pitch by campaigners wanting George Davis freed) ? No
membersstand said:
I think there was only one test with 4-ball overs..
Q 2 Was it the only test with 4 ball overs ? No

Hint 1 - Its uniqueness comes from the players involved in it ! :) :p

Last edited: