• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Cricket Trivia - 'SJS format'

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That's eleven questions so I believe I'm supposed to give a hint - our man is one of an elite group of 25 - although that has no relevance to his wife's comment

Jarquis

Debuted after WW2.
Best known as a batsman.
Under 40 when the comment was made.
Member of an elite group of 25.
Is English.

Is he still currently playing??

Last edited:

Jarquis

Is Fertang's question dead in the water?

This isn't SJS style, but wasn't sure if it deserved a thread all on its own.
Basically, in this month's issue of The Wisden Cricket there's a large quiz that I thought I'd share with you all.

2009 Remembered
  1. Which ground provided the unusual sight in a Test match of a bowler starting his run-up from inside the penalty area? ARG
  2. Which former Gloucestershire cricketer, dismissed for 111 when scoring his maided first class century, died in 2009? Sir Derrick Bailey
  3. Possible future participation in which activity prevented Andrew Flintoff from signing an England contract according to his agent Chubby Chandler? Bungee jumping.
  4. Which Test cricketer called it a day in first-class cricket after losing his off stump to a complete novice(though he was clearly batting on a substandard surface)? Michael Vaughan
  5. What first occurred in the 2009 Wisden Cricketer's Almanack? Female as one of the 5 cricketers of the year.
  6. What 75-year Test hoodoo was finally broken? England beating Australia at Lords.
  7. Which studious partnership was blamed by many for England's defeat by West Indies in the Twenty20 World Cup? Duckworth Lewis
  8. Which double-agent grafted his way past one of Don Bradman's records? Justin Langer
  9. Which son of a former England Test wicketkeeper, on his first-class debut, was thrown the gauntlets in the second innings and took four catches out of the 6 wickets to fall? Johnathan Bairstow
  10. Which "new Ian Botham" ended up as the new Norman Stanley Fletcher? Chris Lewis

There are another 32 questions split across 5 more sections. Though I didn't want to type them all up incase nobody was interested in answering them.

I don't have the answers myself but thought that there may be some discussion around one or two of the questions and/or answers.

Last edited:

Jarquis

I think 4 is Michael Vaughan, think I remember something about his son bowling him out in the front room.

8 would be Justin Langer and number of FC runs for an Aussie? Though I don't get the double-agent reference?

Edit : I also think I know number 2 but only because he featured in the obituaries section of the magazine. Not certain he was dismissed for 111 on debut, though I know he made a century on debut. If it's who I think it is 111 is quite an apt number ;)

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
8 would be Justin Langer and number of FC runs for an Aussie? Though I don't get the double-agent reference?
Was playing for Somerset when he delivered a dossier on us to yer crims ahead of the Ashes.

& 10) Is Chris Lewis, surely? Can't be too many ex-New Bothams staying at Her Maj's pleasure.

EDIT: 9) - Pretty sure David Bairstow's (RIP :() son is playing FC cricket now, so he'd be my guess.

Last edited:

Jarquis

Was playing for Somerset when he delivered a dossier on us to yer crims ahead of the Ashes.

& 10) Is Chris Lewis, surely? Can't be too many ex-New Bothams staying at Her Maj's pleasure.

EDIT: 9) - Pretty sure David Bairstow's (RIP :() son is playing FC cricket now, so he'd be my guess.
10 - Makes sense

9 - Sure enough, he was given the gloves rather than Brophy in Somerset's second dig and took 4 catches : Yorkshire v Somerset at Leeds, Jun 11-14, 2009 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com

fredfertang

5 is a lady as one of the five cricketers of the year

.......................... and no Burgey I dont mean son of Chris

Jarquis

SO just number 2 and 3 left, I alluded to who number 2 might be above. As for number 3, it's not something as obvious as some T20 competition is it?

Last edited: