• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Cricket Trivia - 'SJS format'

indie2

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I'm a cricket ground. Although I have hosted international matches, the event I'm best remembered for did not take place in one of them.

Where am I and what was the famous event?

Q1 Am I a test ground ? No

Q2 Was the famous event a match in a different sport? No

Q3. Was the famous event something other than a sporting event ? No

Q4 Is the ground in England? No

Q5. Is it in South Asia ? No

Q6. Is it in Africa ? No

Q7. Is it in a test playing country ? Yes

Note: Maybe my use of the word 'event' in the Q is misleading, its more of an achievement. Sorry if that confused.

Q8. Is it in Australia ? No

Q9. Is it in NEW ZEALAND ? No

So. Its not Engnd, not Australia, not NZLand, not in South Asia(Pakistan India and SriLamka and Bangla Desh), not in Africa(SAfrica and Zimbabwe) but is in a test playing country and the only one left is WIndies and its a lot of countries !!

[NOT A QUESTION!!]

Q10. Does the name of the country start with G ? No

First hint: The answers given so far may appear to be contractictory -- you will need to think laterally to establish where I am.

Q11 Did the achievement take place in a first-class match?

Yes

Q12. was it an individual achievement?

Yes

Q13. Is it Phillips Mindoo Park St Lucia

No

Q14. Did this achievement take place recently - say the 90s or later (specifically)?

No

Q15. Does the individual involved play international game for WI

The pedantic answer is NO, but I'll help and say Yes he DID.

Next hint: the cricketing achievement was a batting achievement by one of the all-time legends of the game.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Thinking laterally here, Is it the 6 sixes that Sir Gary Sobers hit off one over at Swansea, which although part of a Test playing country is not part of England and may fit the bill for this question ? (Otherwise more hints may be needed - to prevent this thread from going static and dead !! :) :) )

indie2

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
JASON said:
Thinking laterally here, Is it the 6 sixes that Sir Gary Sobers hit off one over at Swansea, which although part of a Test playing country is not part of England and may fit the bill for this question ? (Otherwise more hints may be needed - to prevent this thread from going static and dead !! :) :) )
100% correct!!! [man, I'm releived someone got it, I thought I'd killed the thread]

Over to you...

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
cric_manic said:
W.Hadlee was never out in single figures but i dont think he played over 13 years
Sorry Mate, I didn't see your post earlier!!

You have cracked the jackpot right away !! Well done !! :clapping: :clapping:

Walter Arnold Hadlee it was !! His career did last 13 years, because he didn't play between 1937 and 1945 (or it seems NZ didn't play a single Test between these years - quite possibly because of World War 2 ).
Here's the Cricinfo profile on WA Hadlee the patriarch of the Hadlee clan .

A tall and bespectacled batsmen, Walter Hadlee was able to defend or attack with equal skill as the occasion demanded, with a classic off-drive his trademark shot. He played 11 Tests for New Zealand either side of the war, captaining a weak side at the end of the 1940s with a quiet authority on the field and tremendous popularity off it. In 1937 in England, he scored 1225 runs at 29.87, with the highlight a breezy 93 in his second Test at Old Trafford; when he returned in 1949 he made 1439 runs at 35.97. His consistency was underlined by the fact that although he scored only the one Test hundred, he was never dismissed in single figures. His only century came against England at Christchurch. When he retired he became a leading administrator, and took great pride that his three sons – Richard, Dayle and Barry, all played for New Zealand.
Martin Williamson

Over to you for next question !! :newyear:

Last edited:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
cric_manic said:
QUESTION

who has taken 5 wickets and scored a century on test debut

a very easy question for you
Bruce Taylor (NZ) V India, 5-8 March 1965, Calcutta (or Kolkatta as its called now) - 105 and 0 n.o , 5/86

I am going to the movies now .(Tuesday cheap Flicks :D .Will post question on return in 3 hours time) :)

Last edited:

bryce

International Regular
Jason is late :huh:
i've been dying to get one right i have been on a bad drought so i will try my best to wait for him to get back.