• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Cricket Trivia - 'SJS format'

stumpski

International Captain
No ... but you're sort of on the right lines with the 'most wickets' part.

The important thing is why these superlatives are unlikely to be bettered.

stumpski

International Captain
No, it's because today's bowlers have no opportunity to do so - they operate under different conditions.

Incidentally, Briggs took his record at the very last opportunity - and the other two wouldn't have had much longer.

stumpski

International Captain
Did Sarfraz operate on matting wickets? I suppose he may have done, early in his career. Where's Mr S, I think he might have got this by now.

OK here's a clue, because you're not on the right lines yet. All these records were set overseas - that is, outside England. And the last could not have ever been set in England - except in 1939.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Oh right so beat figures recorded for 4 and 5 ball overs presumably though without getting up from the computer I wouldn't like to say which is which!

stumpski

International Captain
Johnny Briggs, 8-11 v South Africa at Cape Town, 1888-89. The last Test ever played with four ball overs.

George Lohmann, 8-7 v South Africa, Port Elizabeth, 1895-96.

Sarfraz Nawaz, 9-86 v Australia, Melbourne, 1978-79. Only one more Test was played with eight ball overs after this.

As you say, the best Test bowling analyses for four, five and eight ball overs.

Last edited:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Fred I'm sorry to say that I'm going to have to drop out for now. Tired from banging my head against a particularly obstinate brick wall on other threads, I hear the call of bed.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Is it something they did on the cricket field ?

If yes, is it something to be proud of ?

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

I cant easily answer that yes or no - it is to do with batting though

Possibly but a neutral point really

SJS

Hall of Fame Member

I cant easily answer that yes or no - it is to do with batting though

Possibly but a neutral point really
Is it to do with batting order ?