• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Cricket Trivia - 'SJS format'

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Ok Archie is not going to attempt I think :)

Here is the answer.

In the first ever test match in 1877, in England's second innings, Blackham became the first wicket keeper to effect a stumping. Left arm bowler Thomas Kendall became the first bowler to have a batsman stumped and Alfred Shah had the dubious honour of being the first victim.

Kendall took 7 for 55 in that innings which remained a home record for an Aistralian bowler till Spofforth broke it with 7 for 44 in 1883.

Its your turn Archie, whether you like it or not. :dry:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
It matters not, but surely 'Bert' as mentioned by Archie would have been Bert Oldfield, not Jack Blackham.
Well spotted mate.

I think I had made up my mind that Sean was onto it and was just playing the fool as tapi used to do. So I didn't even bother to notice the 'Bert' in that post. Just goes to show how strong perceptions can be.

stumpski

International Captain
Yes, and no.

He is in good company btw - Steve Waugh, Michael Vaughan and Graham Gooch also have this in common.

stumpski

International Captain
Correct - it was for MCC v Kent at Lord's in 1857. Obviously pre-dates Wisden (and Lillywhites?) so as far as I know there's no surviving match report - it could be in the Times archives, perhaps, to explain how this came about.

'Handled the ball' has been a far more common mode of dismissal then 'hit the ball twice' and 'obstructing the field' over the years, and it seems to be getting more regular. Nobody has been dismissed for hitting the ball twice in England since 1906.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Correct - it was for MCC v Kent at Lord's in 1857. Obviously pre-dates Wisden (and Lillywhites?) so as far as I know there's no surviving match report - it could be in the Times archives, perhaps, to explain how this came about.

'Handled the ball' has been a far more common mode of dismissal then 'hit the ball twice' and 'obstructing the field' over the years, and it seems to be getting more regular. Nobody has been dismissed for hitting the ball twice in England since 1906.

Hit the ball twice is really more of a preventative rule than anything else to stop batsman going after it after they've already hit it and belting it to the boundary. It's hard to imagine how anyone could be stupid enough to be out that way.