• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Cricket Trivia - 'SJS format'

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
If that is correct, no great deal for my guessing it since it was done purely by a process of elimination.:)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
He (X) was the mainspring of our plan. We put a man at leg slip and I (Y) parked myself virtually on Bradman's bat, just a yard or so away at short leg. I knew I had no hope of cathcing him there, but our objective was to force him to play the shot a bit more finely than he normally would, and hope that the ball would do enough to give us a chance at leg-slip. In the event, X's first ball was a screamer, which ripped through the Bradman defence that had so thwarted the world's bowlers and cauht him on the pads, dead in front.

Up went the appeal. 'Not Out' came the response. X was distraught. 'Y, he was out!' he pleaded as he came back for the next delivery. Inclined as I was to offer enthusiastic agreement, I could do little else but try to keep his mind on the job. 'Forget what we had planned' I said, 'Forget the last ball, work on the next.'

Down came X again. Bradman shaped to flick him away as we had thought, the ball kicked on him and flew to the fine leg slip and the great man was gone. It was an eerie feeling. You can make a thousand plans on the cricket field and have none of them work. And here we had Bradman for nought, according to a scenario almost identical to that worked out in Z's office.

'Well we can dream about that 300' I said to Bradman as he headed back to the pavillion. It was a fairly cheeky thing to say and it did me no credit. The eyes burnt back at me. At the right moment those Bradman eyes carried as much power as those flourishing cover drives.

....As I left the field I was accosted by a mountain of a man who grabbed me by the shoulders and hoisted me off the ground as though I were a bag of chaff.​

Who are X, Y and Z in the above written by Y, of course.

Last edited:

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
This is about the "Hutton-Bedser trap" that got Bradman on three successive innings in the 1948 series. Norman Yardley was involved.

X is obviously Alec Bedser. The catcher was Len Hutton (is that not part of the question ?) at short fineleg/short backward square leg. I would guess that Z is Yardley. Not sure about the writer. Guessing Compton as the narrator who stood at square leg

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
This is about the "Hutton-Bedser trap" that got Bradman on three successive innings in the 1948 series. Norman Yardley was involved.

X is obviously Alec Bedser. The catcher was Len Hutton (is that not part of the question ?) at short fineleg/short backward square leg. I would guess that Z is Yardley. Not sure about the writer. Guessing Compton as the narrator who stood at square leg
Thats a lot of guesses really. One about X, one about Y and one about Z. But we will be kind and treat it as one and the answer my dear Sree is NO. :)

You know me well enough not to ask the obvious I thought.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Is this taking place in a first class match, rather than a test?

If so, is it in 1936 for South Australia?
Yes and No.

X = Bob Hynes?
Y = Alan McGilvray?
Very well done indeed.

YES and YES :)

Is Z the coach of the side?
No
No coaches in those days, I think it might be Monty Noble the sole selector of NSW in those times:) But I could be wrong:wacko:
Monty Noble is correct.

It was from the book I am just finishing reading, The Game Is Not The Same - Alan McGilvary (as told to Taskar Norman). Lovely insights on Bradman in this book and amusing details on how the early Tests in England were broadcast 'live' from commentators sitting in Australia.

Your turn Somerset.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Good question, wouldn't have got Z without archiemac's assistance. ;)

I am currently the only player to have achieved this feat for my side. Who am I and what is my feat?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Good question, wouldn't have got Z without archiemac's assistance. ;)

I am currently the only player to have achieved this feat for my side. Who am I and what is my feat?
  1. Is it a feat on field of play?
  2. If yes, is it batting related?
  3. Is it in an international?
  4. If yes, is it a Test match?