• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Cricket Trivia - 'SJS format'

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
This is the 10,000 the post on this thread.

An absolute first for any thread accept the two official tour threads of Australia's last two series against India and England.

I wish Jason who started this thread was here too.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
  • In the 1891-92 season he bowled with either hand in an attempt to get rid if Giffen during his massive 271.
  • He was a brilliant cover point fielder
  • He was a fairly skillful occasional keeper
  • In 1890 he lost the second keeper's spot to Burns, who later admitted that he had never kept wickets in any class of the game in his entire life !
  • In 1896 after being named he was replaced by Alf Johns, supposedly because of a knee injury which he denied.
  • His reputation as a 'rough diamond' may have been the real reason for his exclusion.
  • The 160 pounds he got after suing ACC, he used to visit England where he played a few games for MCC as a member of the Lord's Cricket Ground.

Last edited:

archie mac

International Coach
  • In the 1891-92 season he bowled with either hand in an attempt to get rid if Giffen during his massive 271.
  • He was a brilliant cover point fielder
  • He was a fairly skillful occasional keeper
  • In 1890 he lost the second keeper's spot to Burns, who later admitted that he had never kept wickets in any class of the game in his entire life !
  • In 1896 after being named he was replaced by Alf Johns, supposedly because of a knee injury which he denied.
  • His reputation as a 'rough diamond' may have been the real reason for his exclusion.
  • The 160 pounds he got after suing ACC, he used to visit England where he played a few games for MCC as a member of the Lord's Cricket Ground.

On the money:cool:

Your turn mate:)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
did he die in the war?
I dont know if he died fighting but the year of his death does indicate that it was during the war.

PS please go back an see there is a slight modification in the original question. It now reads...

Who is this 'legend' ?
:)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I dont know if he died fighting but the year of his death does indicate that it was during the war.

PS please go back an see there is a slight modification in the original question. It now reads...

Who is this 'legend' ?
:)
OK. He died in France so I guess he must have been fighting there.

archie mac

International Coach
We left the ground before the start of play to have our photo taken, when we came back to the ground, still dressed in our whites and team blazers, the steward refused to let us back in as we did not have our passes.

As captain I explained that we had left them in our clothes in the dressing room, but to no avail, as it was almost time for play to start, I was a little worried

No wonder XXXXX did what he did to get in

Who is the captain?
Who is XXXX and what did he do?
What ground are we at?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
We left the ground before the start of play to have our photo taken, when we came back to the ground, still dressed in our whites and team blazers, the steward refused to let us back in as we did not have our passes.

As captain I explained that we had left them in our clothes in the dressing room, but to no avail, as it was almost time for play to start, I was a little worried

No wonder XXXXX did what he did to get in

Who is the captain?
Who is XXXX and what did he do?
What ground are we at?
I don't have the faintest idea but I am going to try anyway.

An English Ground ?

If Yes, Lord's?