• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Cricket Trivia - 'SJS format'

bagapath

International Captain
was it the record for 5 wickets in an innings of a test match held by syd barnes (24 fivefers) and broken by ian botham?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Nine - spread over five series.

Code:
1876-77 in Australia 	 2 	 
1878-79 in Australia 	 1 	
1880       in England 	 1 	
1881-82 in Australia	 4 	
1882       in England 	 1
Sorry I forgot the three triangular series test matches of 1912. So its 12.

Last edited:

bagapath

International Captain
That took 71 years (April 1914 to June 1985) and not 73 :) But it well might be that
SJS! I don’t know whose 5fer record barnes broke to become the no.1 on the list. May be loahmann or spofforth or bobby peel. Whoever it was, barnes would have done it much before he retired in 1914, going by the huge difference between his 24 hauls and practically no one next to him. So botham probably broke a record that was 80 or more years in barnes’ name. does this logic hold true for the 10 wicket hauls record also?

Lilian Thomson! I am glad u r not feeling guilty. All I can say is you are one lucky “whatever thompson called bradman”

bagapath

International Captain
out of 316 tests between england and australia the first nine took place before the birth of ashes. one test in 1882 was played without involving ashes. three matches took place between them in the 1912 triangular (with SA being the third team). There were 3 tests played after the kerry packer schism was brought to an end with ashes not at stake. there were also a centenary test each in both countries sometime in the 70s. and one bicentenary test. so 19 must be the answer

after deducting these 19 tests from the 316 between the teams, about 297 tests have been played for ashes, i would say.

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
out of 316 tests between england and australia the first nine took place before the birth of ashes. one test in 1882 was played without involving ashes. three matches took place between them in the 1912 triangular (with SA being the third team). There were 3 tests played after the kerry packer schism was brought to an end with ashes not at stake. there were also a centenary test each in both countries sometime in the 70s. and one bicentenary test. so 19 must be the answer

after deducting these 19 tests from the 316 between the teams, about 297 tests have been played for ashes, i would say.
No.