• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Cricket Trivia - 'SJS format'

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
Q 4 Is the cricketer C B Fry ? Yes

Congratulations !! :) :) Now then, Who was the Controversial Political figure he advised, What's the record ?
Hitler

PS and yes , he held the world long jump record too

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
SJS said:
Hitler

PS and yes , he held the world long jump record too
Correct . Well done. :) :) :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Hitler sent for him for advice during the building-up of the Youth Movement in Germany. He was a deputy for the Indian delegation to the first, third, and fourth Assemblies of the League of Nations.

He put up a world’s long jump record of 23 ft. 5in. in 1892 which stood for twenty-one years.

Until he was no-balled for throwing by Phillips — who also called Mold at Old Trafford — Fry was a good fast bowler who took six wickets for 78 in the University match, opened the Gentlemen’s bowling against the Players at The Oval, and took five wickets. Twice he performed the hat-trick at Lord’s.

In his writings, Fry recalled how Jim Phillips, an Australian heavyweight slow bowler turned umpire, was sent to Hove specially to "no-ball" him.

"A bright move," commented Fry, "because, of course, I rolled up my sleeve above my elbow and bowled with my arm as rigidly straight as a poker. The great Jim, sighting himself as a strong umpire, was not deterred. Large as an elephant, he bluffly no-balled me nine times running. It was a farce and the Sussex authorities and players were angry.

"However, I bowled often afterwards unscathed, even in Gentlemen v. Players’ at Lord’s and in a Test Match."

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
Correct . Well done. :) :) :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Hitler sent for him for advice during the building-up of the Youth Movement in Germany. He was a deputy for the Indian delegation to the first, third, and fourth Assemblies of the League of Nations.

He put up a world’s long jump record of 23 ft. 5in. in 1892 which stood for twenty-one years.

Until he was no-balled for throwing by Phillips — who also called Mold at Old Trafford — Fry was a good fast bowler who took six wickets for 78 in the University match, opened the Gentlemen’s bowling against the Players at The Oval, and took five wickets. Twice he performed the hat-trick at Lord’s.

In his writings, Fry recalled how Jim Phillips, an Australian heavyweight slow bowler turned umpire, was sent to Hove specially to "no-ball" him.

"A bright move," commented Fry, "because, of course, I rolled up my sleeve above my elbow and bowled with my arm as rigidly straight as a poker. The great Jim, sighting himself as a strong umpire, was not deterred. Large as an elephant, he bluffly no-balled me nine times running. It was a farce and the Sussex authorities and players were angry.

"However, I bowled often afterwards unscathed, even in Gentlemen v. Players’ at Lord’s and in a Test Match."

If ever their was a cricketer more remarkable than Don Bradman , it was CB Fry. He was really a 'superman' !

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Australia,
S. Africa,
S Africa,
England,
S Africa,
W Indies,
S Africa,
India,
NZLand,
NZLand,
England,
NZLand,
Zimbabwe,
Zimbabwe .

What's this above list ??

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Tapioca said:
Jason, see this thread : http://trackfield.brinkster.net/RecProg_All.asp?RecCode=WR&EventCode=MF3&Gender=M The story of '21 years' is an urban legend :)
May be. :) :) But this says 7.17 metres was the record, (and whats more it says Fry only repeated the record jump of 7.17 metres rather than set the record himself), whereas in cricinfo profile the record is quoted as 23feet 5 inches !! :unsure: :unsure: So my guess is they may not be talking of the same record (or the same event)!! (BTW is 7.17 metres = 23 feet 5 inches ? )

Last edited:

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
Last edited: