• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Cricket Trivia - 'SJS format'

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
CRICKET QUESTION # 1 A cricketing great, there is something peculiar about my name ? Who am I and whats the peculiarity about my name.
Q1 Is he a great Batsman from the past ? YES
Q2 Did he play for a southern hemisphere team? ....NO
Q3 Did he play international cricket for England?....NO
Q4 Is he from the subcontinent?....YES
Q5. Is he from India? ... YES
Q6: Did he ever open the innings for India?....YES
Q7 is it Farokh Engineer...NO
Q8 is his name peculiar because he was actually an engineer...No (naturally)
Q 9 Did he play for Karnataka in Ranji Trophy....NO
Q 10 Was his career cut short by a Charlie Griffith delivery resulting in life threatening head injury and requiring multiple surgery ?......NO

FIRST HINT : He was from Bombay.
Q11 Is the peculiarity about his name to do with a girl's name (his first name I mean)?…..NO
Q12 Did he score 65 and 67 no on debut (in Tests) ?....NO
Q 13 Was the peculiarity with the name to do with a world famous musician?....NO
Q14 and Q15 : am i vijay merchant? for the following reason?

Like when Marathi novelist N.S. Phadke happened to meet Vijay Merchant around the time Kamalatai Phadke was expecting. Phadke reportedly said to Merchant, "During the coming Kanpur test if I get a don and you score a double century, I’II name him Vijay."

The rest was naming history: The Phadke household got a son, Vijay Merchant did score a double century, and Kamalatai’s son did get named Vijay. ….NO( Answering your post in totality)

SECOND HINT : Part of the last answer is correct :naughty:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
Q14 did he make his Test debut agaist England at Lords in 1946 ?

BTW No hints yet !! (Any others online [Bryce, Jnr] want to ask question feel free)
YES

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
deeps said:
i know! i'm sunil gavaskar! (y)

However, way back, at the time of Sunil Gavaskar’s own christening, he had had his mother in a fix, as chronicled by Minal Gavasker in her biography of her son "putra Vhava Aisa."

A relative of Minal’s in-laws’ side suggested the boy be named "Maroti." Granted, it was a good name, a God’s name, but somehow Minal Gavaskar found it difficult to conjure ‘Maroti Manohar Gavaskar" for her son. Deep in a quandary, she happened to spot one of her aunts who was a teacher and importuned her to suggest a name that wouldn’t let down her in-laws’ people and be at the same time, a modern-sounding one. The aunt came up with Sunil and the boy didn’t go down in history as "Maroti Manohar Gavaskar."

his real name is maroti manohar gavaskar
NO. And now you are definitely BANNED

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Of course its Vinoo Mankad !! I am not sure about the peculiarity WRT the name. But his real name was Mulvantrai Himmatlal Mankad, Vinoo being his schoolboy nick name IIRC.

SJS is that the peculiarity ?

Last edited:

deeps

International 12th Man
i dont think people should be banned if they come up with an answer, and a decent reason why.... i mean, both my guesses fitted the bill.... in a way, tis slightly ambigious, and for that reason, if the answer supplied fits the question, it shld not be reason for banning.

if it was a wild stab, yes, if not, no

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
CRICKET QUESTION # 1 A cricketing great, there is something peculiar about my name ? Who am I and whats the peculiarity about my name.
Q 10 Was his career cut short by a Charlie Griffith delivery resulting in life threatening head injury and requiring multiple surgery ?......NO

Q11 Is the peculiarity about his name to do with a girl's name (his first name I mean)?…..NO
Q 13 Was the peculiarity with the name to do with a world famous musician?....NO

Like when Marathi novelist N.S. Phadke happened to meet Vijay Merchant around the time Kamalatai Phadke was expecting. Phadke reportedly said to Merchant, "During the coming Kanpur test if I get a don and you score a double century, I’II name him Vijay."

The rest was naming history: The Phadke household got a son, Vijay Merchant did score a double century, and Kamalatai’s son did get named Vijay. ….NO( Answering your post in totality)

SECOND HINT : Part of the last answer is correct
Q16. did he make his Test debut agaist England at Lords in 1946 ?...YES
Q17.

bryce said:
did he average 71.64 :-O in his first class career ?
Q17. did he average 71.64 :-O in his first class career…..YES
Q18. and 19. i know! i'm sunil gavaskar! (y)….NO(You are not and u r definitely banned )
:ban: :nono: :furious:

Kidding !!

ONLY ONE TURN LEFT After one more query we need the complete answer !!

PS BRYCE You didnt run away fast enough that last time :naughty: :naughty:

Last edited:

bryce

International Regular
i'm confused :wacko: you said 'yes' that he made his test debut in 1946 at lords(vinoo mankad) and you said 'yes' to him also averaging 71.64 in first class cricket(vijay merchant), since merchant made his test debut in 1933/34 and mankad averaged about half that in first class cricket i don't know what to think.....

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
bryce said:
i'm confused :wacko: you said 'yes' that he made his test debut in 1946 at lords(vinoo mankad) and you said 'yes' to him also averaging 71.64 in first class cricket(vijay merchant), since merchant made his test debut in 1933/34 and mankad averaged about half that in first class cricket i don't know what to think.....
Bryce I think I'm banned from this question now for making a wrong answer!! Your answer is probably the correct one!!

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
SJS said:

SECOND HINT : Part of the last answer is correct
Q16. did he make his Test debut agaist England at Lords in 1946 ?...YES
Q17.

Q17. did he average 71.64 :-O in his first class career…..YES
Q18. and 19. i know! i'm sunil gavaskar! (y)….NO(You are not and u r definitely banned )
:ban: :nono: :furious:

Kidding !!

ONLY ONE TURN LEFT After one more query we need the complete answer !!

PS BRYCE You didnt run away fast enough that last time :naughty: :naughty:
Q20. was the mankad named after him ?..NO

Plus you guys made another guess at Mankad. But we will forget that. Any one wants anothe try before we go into the tie breaker ?? :p

STUPID STUPID ME !!
Old age is catching up. Or its my dogs bothering me to take them for their evening walk. Whatever !!

No he did not make his debut at Lords in 1946.

Yes it was Merchant. I am too far for you guys ton hurl your laptops at me.

So why dont you just go ahead and tell what was peculiar about his name :sleep:

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
Was it because Vijay Merchant's real name is Vijay Thackersey
YESSS
I sneak out from the rear doors with my labradors. :crutch:

BTW, do you know why he was called Merchant and not Thackersey ?
I wont blame you foor not answering nor ban you for giving wrong answers which I couldnt tell from right ones anyway :p :p