• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Cricket Trivia - 'SJS format'

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Hi Everyone,

This is a new rapid fire type cricket trivia thread, being started to encourage active participation of more cricket web members on line. It will be based on the SJS format and the following posts by SJS explains the format.

SJS said:
What I have in mind is that instead of running after search engines or trying to get the answer by hitting in the dark, we allow everyone to ask questions from the QM. The condition being that the questions are answerable in YES or NO or NOT APPLICABLE.

This will increase the genuine participation of everyone. We need to, of course limit the number of such 'information-eliciting' questions, anything from 10 to 15 or 20.

If after the questions limit has been exhausted, the QM reveals the answer and asks the next question.

The questions can be much more vague and still one can get to them.

The only problem is that, the QM has to be available for answering the queries but I feel we should give it a try .
SJS said:
I suggest queries for each question are numbered by the query poser and also what ever has been 'discovered' towards the answer is repeated.
Example :
QM : One of the worlds greatest fielders of his time ??

Query : Q1-Is he white ?

QM : Answer 1 : No. (One of the worlds greatest fielders of his time -not white)

Query : Is he Black ?

QO : Ans 2. Yes (One of the worlds greatest fielders of his time-Black)
and so on. This is important for obvious reasons.

I think we can start with twenty queries and change the number AND modify other rules (with agreement of course) if required as we go along.

Howzat :)

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
LongHopCassidy said:
I think if you guess wrongly (the actual name or statistic) you should be eliminated from the thread.
Thats a good suggestion. So instead of just shooting blindly you are requested to try and zero in and shoot only when sure !!

HINTS
After 10 Queries, the QM is obliged to provide one hint.
After another 5 queries ..a second hint
After 20 queries are over, he has to provide one hint after every try till someone guesses (Maximum 25 queries in all.

In any event if no guess till the 20th Query, the QM retains the TITLE and asks the next QUESTION

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Okay. Here is the First Question

CRICKET QUESTION # 1 A cricketing great, there is something peculiar about my name ? Who am I and whats the peculiarity about my name.

Last edited:

Sudeep

International Captain
LongHopCassidy said:
I think if you guess wrongly (the actual name or statistic) you should be eliminated from the thread.
Eliminated for that particular question, right?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Sudeep said:
Eliminated for that particular question, right?
YES Of Course :p

Although it may be too harsh but it is really to prevent people from taking blind shots. I mean if a question has just 15 possible answers, someone may just try shooting them one after the othre :p :p :p

An exaggeration just to make the point :D

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
Q1 Is he a great Batsman from the past ?
CRICKET QUESTION # 1 A cricketing great, there is something peculiar about my name ? Who am I and whats the peculiarity about my name.
Q1 Is he a great Batsman from the past ? ....YES

PS: Again your question could have been problematic. If he was a batsman but not from the past or from the past and not a batsman, I would have been forced to say NO because the question as a whole deserves that answer.

Similarly if he is a great all rounder from the past who is a great batsman in his own right I would still be obliged to answer your question as YES.

In both cases you could end up drawing slightly mixed conclusions. So its very imortant to have clear questions and a question should not be asking two(or more) pieces of info at the same time since it will make answering less precise.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Slats4ever said:
Did he play for a southern hemisphere team?
Q1 Is he a great Batsman from the past ? ....YES

Q2 Did he play for a southern hemisphere team?....NO

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Slats4ever said:
Did he play international cricket for England?
Q1 Is he a great Batsman from the past ? YES
Q2 Did he play for a southern hemisphere team? ....NO

Q3 Did he play international cricket for England?....NO

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
SJS said:
Is he from the subcontinent?....YES

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
SJS said:

Q4 Is he from the subcontinent?....YES

Q5. Is he from India? ... YES
Q5. Is he from India? ... YES

bryce

International Regular
since i'm not really playing this game i'll take a wild stab...
is it Farokh Engineer and is his name peculiar because he was actually an engineer ?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
bryce said:
since i'm not really playing this game i'll take a wild stab...
is it Farokh Engineer and is his name peculiar because he was actually an engineer ?
Q7 is it Farokh Engineer...NO
Q8 is his name peculiar because he was actually an engineer...No (naturally)

PS; I think its pretty harsh to ban for a guess. For the time being we will penalise by treating a wild guess(if wrong) as two queries. :p

You may continue to participate in this question :happy:

Last edited: