• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Cricket Trivia - 'SJS format'

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
The Baconator said:
Is it a record he would be proud of?
Q12 Is it a record he would be proud of ? Yes

"Pelham Francis Warner was born on the island of Trinidad in the West Indies on October 2, 1873, and he died on January 30, 1963.

He often used to relate that his first recollections of cricket were of batting on a marble gallery at his home, The Hall, Port of Spain, Trinidad, to the bowling of a black boy who rejoiced in the name of Killebree (Humming Bird). At thirteen and a half he came to England, but before that he had three years at Harrison College, Barbados, and at thirteen had gained a place in the first XI.

The whole course of his life was altered by Lord Hawke’s invitation to tour the West Indies, and on January 13, 1897, he began the first of many journeys across the seas. As it happened the opening match was against Trinidad and he had the distinction of scoring 119, the first hundred that had ever been scored in the Island in an important match. Scores of black men rushed across the ground at the end of his innings shouting out "I taught you, Mr. Pelham. You play well, Sir; we are proud of you." :laugh: :laugh:

In 1932–33 he went to Australia as joint manager with R.C.N. Palairet of the M.C.C. team captained by D.R. Jardine. Bodyline cast a shadow over the tour. He was completely opposed to this type of bowling; indeed he had objected to it as long ago as 1910 when W.B. Burns bowled it for a few overs for Worcestershire against Middlesex at Lord’s, but he never allowed his opposition to interfere with his admiration for Jardine as a man and as a leader.

History has of course proved that Sir Pelham was right, and in 1937 his outstanding services to cricket, both on and off the field, were recognised by a knighthood.

He told me he was fearful that the great honour of being President of M.C.C. might elude him for as he often said "I’m a delicate old dog and will not be here much longer." It is therefore not difficult to picture his delight, and relief, when on May 3, 1950, he was nominated President by H.R.H. the Duke of Edinburgh.

In point of fact His Royal Highness was unable to be present, and Lord Cornwallis, President in 1947, presided in his absence. When he began to make the announcement he got no farther than "Sir Pel—" when there was an unprecedented scene, the cheering which followed lasting for several minutes. It was indeed an unforgettable moment.

In 1958 a new grandstand built at Lord’s was named after him."

Exerpts from Body line series -

One of the most reported incidents of this famous series was when Sir Pelham Warner(the England Team Manager) entered the Australian dressing room with Mr Palairet to speak with the Australian captain, Bill Woodfull. Today, over 70 years after the event, we are still not certain as to who leaked the story of this 'private' meeting between the two camps. In his book 'Cricket between the wars', Warner insinuates that 'a professional member of the Australian Press and member of the Australian Eleven was present at the time, and the next day the story was blazoned all over the newspapers'. It is clear from this, that Warner blamed Jack Fingleton for the leak as he was the only professional journalist present.

Another extract and the famous quote by Bill Woodfull -
When Bert Oldfield, always a popular figure with spectators, had to be carried to the pavillion, knocked unconscious with a fast, rising ball, the indignation of spectators was at boiling point. Maurice Tate, who was not playing for England, told me, 'Bill, I'm getting out of here. Somebody is going to get seriously hurt, and the people will start a riot.' I felt sure some hotheads in the crowd would jump the rails and try to assault the English cricketers, but, thank Heaven, it did not come to that.
'Plum' Warner, in an effort to do the right thing, looked into the Australian dressing room which, by this time, resembled a casualty clearing station, and expressed his regret for the injuries caused by the tourists' fast bowling. He received a snub which made front page news all over the world, when Woodfull told him, 'I don't want to speak to you, Mr Warner. There are two teams out there and one is playing cricket. If these tactics are persevered with, it may be better if I do not play the game. Good afternoon.'

Last edited:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Question

Holder of a unique batting record (not on his own), Was regarded as one of the most gentlemen of cricketers !! Was honoured by a stand at a famous ground named after him! :)

Who is he ? What is the record ?
:)

Q1 Was he an Englishman? Yes
Q2 Was he an opener ? yes
Q3 Did he make his Debut before WWII ? Yes
Q4 Is that record to do with Test Cricket ? yes
Q5 Was it a partnership/s related record ? No
Q6 Did he make his debut before WW I ? Yes
Q7 Jack Hobbs ? No
Q8 WG ? No
Q9 Is it a dismissal related record ? No
Q10 Was it a gate or stand that was named after him ? (Even though it was not a question in correct format ) answered as Stand
Q11- SJS - Pelham Warner ? Yes - What's the record ?
Q12 Is it a record that he would be proud of ? Yes

Last edited:

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Is the record when, along with J.Douglas, 232 was scored before lunch against four very recognised Surrey bowlers in a County match?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Somerset said:
Is the record when, along with J.Douglas, 232 was scored before lunch against four very recognised Surrey bowlers in a County match?
Q13 Is the record when, along with J.Douglas, 232 was scored before lunch against four very recognised Surrey bowlers in a County match ? No ( please read above - it was a Test Match record !!

Hint No 2 - Sympathy Clue to Somerset -Its a record only achievable by batsmen in certain positions . ;)

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
JASON said:
Q13 Is the record when, along with J.Douglas, 232 was scored before lunch against four very recognised Surrey bowlers in a County match ? No ( please read above - it was a Test Match record !!

Hint No 2 - Sympathy Clue to Somerset -Its a record only achievable by batsmen in certain positions . ;)
Lol, I should've read the questions better! I was certain that it would be the record, considering how quickly the runs are usually scored in one session.

Hmmm...not sure now, I'll have a look around.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Somerset said:
Carry his bat through the innings on debut? (Against South Africa in 1899)

You are getting very good at this Mate, Well done !! Only Dr.J.E. (Jack) Barrett (of Australia) in 1890 at Lords ( 67 n.o out of 176) has done it other than Sir Pelham Warner (who made 132 not out in a score of 237 at Johannesburg in 1899) - The record is Carrying the bat through in an innings on debut as correctly stated by you .

Your turn to post question. :)

Last edited:

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
JASON said:
You are getting very good at this Mate, Well done !! Only Dr.J.E. (Jack) Barrett (of Australia) in 1890 at Lords ( 67 n.o out of 176) has done it other than Sir Pelham Warner (who made 132 not out in a score of 237 at Johannesburg in 1899) - The record is Carrying the bat in an innings on debut as correctly stated by you .

Your turn to post question. :)
Thanks Jason! :happy:

In the 1960s I set a record for my country that still stands today. Who am I and what is my country record?