• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is Australias most feared batsmen

Australia would most miss which batter at the moment

• Hayden

Votes: 23 37.1%
  • Langer

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Ponting

Votes: 11 17.7%
  • Martyn

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Gilly

Votes: 16 25.8%
  • Clarke

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Lehmann

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BoyBrumby

Englishman
deeps said:
twould have to be gilly....as much as i dislike symonds, he should be on that list
It's a really tough call, but I think I agree with Deeps. To have a guy like him coming in at seven must be so daunting for the oppo. On the rare occasions the top six fail he can still take the game away from them.

I've always thought it was a tad over cautious playing him at seven with six other batters. I know you can't argue with results (and Australia's have been ok-ish for a while now! :D ) but I think playing four bowlers may be shortening the careers of their seamers. Come the Ashes only Lee is gonna be the right side of 30. Dizzy has always had a tendency to break down & McGrath is only no coming back to his best form after the ankle spur.

deeps

International 12th Man
marc71178 said:
Why does he have to?
i didn't say he "HAS" to be, i said he "SHOULD" be...why? because he can decimate a bowling attack in a matter of overs. Much more dangerous than some of those people on those list ,like langer and lehmann who rarely rip apart a bowling attack.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Eclipse said:
If we where talking stricktly ODI's then he would be.
He wouldn't be my most feared in ODI's.

I'd still fear what the openers and number 3 a lot more, because if they get going then your team is in serious danger, but if you can blunt them then you do actually have more of a chance of competing.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Opening game of the World Cup.

Australia 4 for 87 after 20 overs.

They end up on 310 after the Symondsinator smashes 143.

Frankly he WOULD be my most feared in ODIs.

twctopcat

International Regular
Definitely Ponting and Martyn in tests. Hayden will be bounced out and Langer is still susceptible to the swinging ball. With Ponting and Martyn though it isn't so easy.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
LongHopCassidy said:
They end up on 310 after the Symondsinator smashes 143.

Frankly he WOULD be my most feared in ODIs.

2 tons in his ODI career - nowhere near as worrying as the top 3.

deeps

International 12th Man
2 tonnes in the past year or two. I told you, i'm not his biggest fan, infact i hate the guy. But dangerous he is. he has also improved hundredfold ever since ponting took over the captaincy.... Check his averages etc. since the start of the world cup

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I voted for Gilly. If you had asked me who was the best Aussie batter or the most consistent Aussie batter, my answer might have been different. But man, as an Indian, I am always chewing my nails whenever Gilly is at the crease. His presence makes me more nervous than any of the other Aussie batsmen. Perhaps, it is due to the fact that he scores so quickly and takes away the game so fast.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
deeps said:
2 tonnes in the past year or two. I told you, i'm not his biggest fan, infact i hate the guy.

I still fear someone who's been doing it for years more than one season.

The old adage about form and class.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
the symonds & clarke partnership and game finishing power would be about as scary as any other in the ODI's

deeps

International 12th Man
symonds has always been dangerous. as is shahid afridi. dangerous means they are feared.

u never know when these two will be on song, and if they are, good luck to the bowlers, because they'll be spending alot of time waiting for the ball to be retreieved from miles outside the stadium.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
twctopcat said:
Definitely Ponting and Martyn in tests. Hayden will be bounced out and Langer is still susceptible to the swinging ball. With Ponting and Martyn though it isn't so easy.
i can't wait to see england bounce out matthew hayden...no wonder you've struggled for the last 15 years.

neways, i reckon gilly, simply because at his position, he can save an innings, or top it off. no other number 7 in the world has the capability of gilchrist. and the scary thing is, that he doesn't really have form slumps. he's just consistently inconsistent

deeps

International 12th Man
gilly is one of thooose batsman... he can have scores like :

20,10,7,15,7,251,6,9,34 etc. He can come up with a gem when he's not in form

a massive zebra

International Captain
Hayden is the most consistently destructive batsman without a doubt, although Ponting is all class and on recent form so is Martyn. I can't believe Gilchrist is the second most popular vote - on recent form he wouldn't come close to making the Australian side as a batsman.