Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kaluwitharana calls it a day!

School Boy/Girl Captain

Kaluwitharana calls it a day!

I don't think I saw a thread for this topic so here goes. If one was created earlier, my apologies.

http://usa.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/C...09NOV2004.html

I, and I think many others as well, will always remember Kaluwitharana as one of the two guys (another being Jayasuriya) who changed the face of the one-day game. There are many of those those who excel in the game they play and then there are a few of those who change the game they play. Kalu belongs to the latter category. It was electrifying watching him and Jayasuriya murder opponents within the first 15 overs.

Farewell Romesh! It was as much of a treat as a terror to see you bat.

A good cricketer to watch. His exploits with Jayasurya at top of the order is well know obviously, I personally liked some of his innings which he played under pressure, particularly in Australia. A good servant of SL, should have played more matches if it was not for Sangakarra. I still remember Kalu hitting Mcgrath to every corner in Australia. He and Jaya hammered almost every bowler in 1996 WC. Poor Manoj Prabhakar was dropped after that match against India and never got picked again.

The famous wording from the great Bradman: "One should retire when people ask WHY rather than WHY NOT"

International Captain Buddhmaster's Avatar
    Being a big fan of Sangakkara i never really cared about Kaluwitharana but he was a good player and best of luck to him.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bapu Rao Swami
    Poor Manoj Prabhakar was dropped after that match against India and never got picked again.
    Probably because he reaction to being dropped was to retire!
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

I will always remember Kalu and Jaisuriya's assault on Prabhakar. Poor Prabhakar started bowling off spin after that.

A good cricketer to watch. His exploits with Jayasurya at top of the order is well know obviously, I personally liked some of his innings which he played under pressure, particularly in Australia. A good servant of SL, should have played more matches if it was not for Sangakarra. I still remember Kalu hitting Mcgrath to every corner in Australia. He and Jaya hammered almost every bowler in 1996 WC. Poor Manoj Prabhakar was dropped after that match against India and never got picked again.

The famous wording from the great Bradman: "One should retire when people ask WHY rather than WHY NOT"

If Kalu did hammer bowlers in the 1996, he didn't do it for very long - his highest score against a test country was 26 IIRC! Actually Jaya only produced 2 decent innings against test coutries in that tournament as well, despite the prevalent mythology about the whole thing. Maybe Kalu did better elsewhere. Good luck to him anyway.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wpdavid
    If Kalu did hammer bowlers in the 1996, he didn't do it for very long - his highest score against a test country was 26 IIRC! Actually Jaya only produced 2 decent innings against test coutries in that tournament as well, despite the prevalent mythology about the whole thing. Maybe Kalu did better elsewhere. Good luck to him anyway.
    Mostly it was his approach at the top of the order that was revolutionary. He was basically unheralded as a batsmen (apart from his ability to slog the ball) and was placed as a pinch hitter at the top of the order from around the Sri Lankan tour of Australia in the 1995-96 summer. The ODI tournament in Australia that year was classic, and was the first time I can remember regularly seeing scores in excess of 100 after 15 overs in a one day match. After that series every country began to rethink their approach to one day cricket, and lo and behold by the 1996 world cup Mark Waugh had been placed at the top of the batting order when previously it had been the same opening pair as in tests with Slater and Taylor, and after Taylor was dropped from the one day team Gilchrist began opening as well.

It wasn't actually in the 1996 world cup that Kalu made his mark, the Sri Lankan win there was simply the end result of what began during the Australian tour a few months earlier, and he was a big part of that.

Anyway, the scorecards from that Australian tour can be found here: http://www.howstat.com/cricket/Stati...eriesCode=0390

Note that in the first few matches he bats down the order, but from the 9th game on he opens and has a series of big scores.

Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    Mostly it was his approach at the top of the order that was revolutionary. He was basically unheralded as a batsmen (apart from his ability to slog the ball) and was placed as a pinch hitter at the top of the order from around the Sri Lankan tour of Australia in the 1995-96 summer. The ODI tournament in Australia that year was classic, and was the first time I can remember regularly seeing scores in excess of 100 after 15 overs in a one day match. After that series every country began to rethink their approach to one day cricket, and lo and behold by the 1996 world cup Mark Waugh had been placed at the top of the batting order when previously it had been the same opening pair as in tests with Slater and Taylor, and after Taylor was dropped from the one day team Gilchrist began opening as well.

It wasn't actually in the 1996 world cup that Kalu made his mark, the Sri Lankan win there was simply the end result of what began during the Australian tour a few months earlier, and he was a big part of that.

Anyway, the scorecards from that Australian tour can be found here: http://www.howstat.com/cricket/Stati...eriesCode=0390

Note that in the first few matches he bats down the order, but from the 9th game on he opens and has a series of big scores.
    Thanks for that. I was unaware of the Aus tour prior to the WC, so I always wondered what all the fuss was about. And now I know. Actually, having looked at the cards, Waugh is opening in the last few games of that series, so Aus were obviouusly quick learners! That tour may well be Kalu's finest hour, as he seemed pretty inconsistent apart from it.
    Last edited by wpdavid; 10-11-2004 at 11:41 AM.

Pinball Champion!
    Cracking player.. Seemed a decent bloke too, definitely good behind the timbers.. Shame the average wasn't higher, but putting entertainment before batting average isnt necessarily a bad thing...
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    yup! good luck to kalu! nice bloke and great cricketer! his average may not say much but he was there to do a job for his team and in order to perfom his duty it meant having to take risks and throw his wicket away too.

It was Kalu and Sanath Jayasuriya, who changed the SL approach (and the rest of the world's approach) to ODI cricket and generated confidence in the rest of the Team (along with obviously Ranatunga and Aravinda) by starting their assault early on some of the bowling attacks at that time which had up until then held a psychological advantage over the Sri Lankans.

I remember Kalu's assault on McGrath in a Match after which McGrath's figures were 9.4 overs -0 maidens - 76 runs - 1 wicket.

I doubt McGrath ever got such a brutal attack of his bowling even in ODI's. Kalu ended up getting three Man of the Match awards in that VB series IIRC.

I am reminded of Barry Richards's comments on Kalu, he was asked to comment on Kalu's batting and this is what he said , "Kalu only knows 2 ways to play, Attack and more Attack".

Kalu will always be rembered by SL fans with the nostalgic memories of the 96 world cup, when SL regarded as a serious underdog and rank outsider at odds of 66-1, came through to win the greatest prize in World Cricket, the World Cup !! (And as Wisden put it - Cinderella (SL) had finally come to the party and was drinking Champagne !! )
    Last edited by JASON; 10-11-2004 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt
    Cracking player.. Seemed a decent bloke too, definitely good behind the timbers.. Shame the average wasn't higher, but putting entertainment before batting average isnt necessarily a bad thing...
    Totally agree. Best of luck to him. His impact of cricket will hopefully not be forgotten.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by wpdavid
    yes amazing isnt it? cricinfo calls him 'world cup winner' when he averaged 12 in 96, so that really is strange.
    Tendulkar = the most overated player EVER!!
    Beckham = the most overated footballer EVER!!
    Vassell = the biggest disgrace since rikki clarke!!

i dont know if thats applicable to kalu given that he retired after not being selected as part of the training squad.......

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    Probably because he reaction to being dropped was to retire!
    what a pity too, he was a fairly effective ODI bowler with an excellent yorker, and was capable of swinging the ball both ways.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information