• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kaluwitharana calls it a day!

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
actually the most brutal attack on mcgrath ever happened in the carlton and united series 00-01 at sydney when abdur razzaq hammered him for 5 fours in one over. mcgrath at one stage had figures of 5-0-61-0 !!
except that Razzaq lasted one over and made only 40 whereas Kalu made 70 something. You seem to have some problem in giving credit where it is due.

tooextracool

International Coach
Sanz said:
You clearly have not seen Kalu play in 1995-96 season. He was explosive and he did win the world cup in 1996 for Sri Lanka. I dont understand what is so strange here. :wacko:
what does this have to do with anything? have i categorically denied that kalu failed in the 95-96 season? averaging 12 with a highest score of 26 is not success and definetly does not qualify as 'world cup winner'

tooextracool

International Coach
Sanz said:
except that Razzaq lasted one over and made only 40 whereas Kalu made 70 something. You seem to have some problem in giving credit where it is due.
you seem to have a problem reading, because
a) nowhere have i not given credit to kalu
b) i was clearly referring to the mcgrath not getting a more brutal beating bit, if 5-0-61-0 is not more brutal then pray please explain to me what qualifies as more brutal?

tooextracool

International Coach
Legglancer said:
Well its beyond argument that the architects of the "over the top" method in the 1 st 15 overs was definitely Sri Lanka ..... Arjuna Ranatunga's Idea. The likes of Greatbach no doubt tried it before but without much success.
are you kidding me? not only was greatbatch the first batsman to actually implement it, but he also managed to do it more successfully than jayasuriya did. greatbatch averaged 45 in wc 92, while jayasuriya as brilliant as he was only averaged 37. and that is despite the fact that greatbatch played better bowlers.
certainly anyone who says that the likes of greatbatch tried it without much success has no idea what hes talking about.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Legglancer said:
Well its beyond argument that the architects of the "over the top" method in the 1 st 15 overs was definitely Sri Lanka ..... Arjuna Ranatunga's Idea. The likes of Greatbach no doubt tried it before but without much success. The diffrence is the Srilankans Had a plan where even if the opening batsman do not score many runs they put caution to the wind and launch the sri lanken scoring like a SkyRocket ..... and it worked against England And India in the 1996 wc. Jayasurya scored 90 against england in 40 balls and atherton was clueless as to what was going on, against India Sri Lanka Scored there 1st 100 in something like 8 overs thereby demoralising the oppersition.
Yes, Jaya came off in those 2 games, but that was about it. most of their significant games in the 1996 WC they needed the middle order to rebuild after the openers had gone cheaply. It might be interesting to look at the scoring rates of those batting at 3, 4 & 5 in those games.

Legglancer

State Regular
tooextracool said:
are you kidding me? not only was greatbatch the first batsman to actually implement it, but he also managed to do it more successfully than jayasuriya did. greatbatch averaged 45 in wc 92, while jayasuriya as brilliant as he was only averaged 37. and that is despite the fact that greatbatch played better bowlers.
certainly anyone who says that the likes of greatbatch tried it without much success has no idea what hes talking about.
OK maybe I was not very clear in my previous post .....

It is an accepted fact that Jayasuriya and Kaluwitarna changed the the way a batting side approchers their innings ...... if anyone thinks otherwise they are in a world of their own. Perhaps if NZ won the 1992 WC greatbach may have started the revolution.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
tooextracool said:
what does this have to do with anything? have i categorically denied that kalu failed in the 95-96 season? averaging 12 with a highest score of 26 is not success and definetly does not qualify as 'world cup winner'
He was a regular for Sri Lanka in the 1996 team.

The 1996 team won the World Cup.

Hence Kalu is a World Cup Winner.

It's not complicated.

tooextracool

International Coach
Neil Pickup said:
He was a regular for Sri Lanka in the 1996 team.

The 1996 team won the World Cup.

Hence Kalu is a World Cup Winner.

It's not complicated.
'world cup winner' sounds more like he did something significant in that wc, when he was probably one of their worst players......

tooextracool

International Coach
Legglancer said:
OK maybe I was not very clear in my previous post .....

It is an accepted fact that Jayasuriya and Kaluwitarna changed the the way a batting side approchers their innings ...... if anyone thinks otherwise they are in a world of their own. Perhaps if NZ won the 1992 WC greatbach may have started the revolution.
yes in that case you are right.
however i find it hard to understand why more teams didnt try the greatbatch approach earlier on given how successfully it worked during the 92 wc, and that was with a side with only 1 world class player.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
tooextracool said:
'world cup winner' sounds more like he did something significant in that wc, when he was probably one of their worst players......
The name Franck Leboeuf springs to mind here.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
tooextracool said:
however i find it hard to understand why more teams didnt try the greatbatch approach earlier on given how successfully it worked during the 92 wc, and that was with a side with only 1 world class player.
I actually question how successful and relevant it really was.

I just looked at the score cards, and only once did he exceed a 100 S/R, and that was in a game when the target was such that the approach wasn't as critical.

In fact, the team's highest score came when he failed.

tooextracool

International Coach
marc71178 said:
I actually question how successful and relevant it really was.

I just looked at the score cards, and only once did he exceed a 100 S/R, and that was in a game when the target was such that the approach wasn't as critical.

In fact, the team's highest score came when he failed.
yes because the greatbatch approach was to hammer in the first 15 and then bat as long as possible. jayasuriyas approach was just to hammer everything out of the park irrespective of which over it was. nonetheless it must be said that greatbatch's scoring rate was quite high in that era, because openers then usually tried to see out the new ball rather than score runs against it. one must also remember the conditions in which greatbatch batted in, he didnt get the flat wickets that jayasuriya got, in fact the ball usually seamed around a bit with the new ball, and he certainly didnt get the rubbish bowlers that jayasuriya did either. so in those conditions he did quite a brilliant job.
as far as how successful it was, it certainly helped them vs WI, against india and against SA. so i think it worked quite successfully.

Last edited:

Legglancer

State Regular
tooextracool said:
Well I dont agree with your asessment at all ...... Kalu did what he was asked to do .... and that was to go after the bowler fearlessly. Attack at any cost .... by this approach the opponants were already psychologically affected. case in point : in sri lanka's first group match against India at Delhi Tendulkar played a brilliant match winning innings with Azaruddin and India were quite happy as Sri lanka had not played any matchers Due to the Aus/WI boycott. But Sanath and Kalu came out blazing and eventhough kalu scored only 26 in 16 balls he changed the game in such a little time. The fanatic Indian supporters were dumbfounded and for the 1st time in the match there was a pin drop silence throghout Feroze Shah.

One cannot also diminish Kalu's keeping prowess during the 1996 wc. During the Semi Final against India Sri Lanka could only comeup with a modest 250 at Eden Gardens and India were comfortably Cruseing at 98/1 when Kalu Pulled one out of the bag and brilliantly stumped Tendulkar .... the rest is history.
All being said I am a bit partial to Kalu because of his smile ..... Lets give the man his due ! :D

tooextracool

International Coach
Legglancer said:
Well I dont agree with your asessment at all ...... Kalu did what he was asked to do .... and that was to go after the bowler fearlessly. Attack at any cost .... by this approach the opponants were already psychologically affected. case in point : in sri lanka's first group match against India at Delhi Tendulkar played a brilliant match winning innings with Azaruddin and India were quite happy as Sri lanka had not played any matchers Due to the Aus/WI boycott. But Sanath and Kalu came out blazing and eventhough kalu scored only 26 in 16 balls he changed the game in such a little time. The fanatic Indian supporters were dumbfounded and for the 1st time in the match there was a pin drop silence throghout Feroze Shah.

One cannot also diminish Kalu's keeping prowess during the 1996 wc. During the Semi Final against India Sri Lanka could only comeup with a modest 250 at Eden Gardens and India were comfortably Cruseing at 98/1 when Kalu Pulled one out of the bag and brilliantly stumped Tendulkar .... the rest is history.
All being said I am a bit partial to Kalu because of his smile ..... Lets give the man his due ! :D
i have given him his due, but averaging 12 in a wc doesnt qualify as a world cup winner in my book. the 26 off 16 while it was a decent knock, must be looked at in context of the entire series, in which he was ordinary for the rest of the games. at least had he played a match winning inning in that match one can consider that.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
He was in the team that won the World Cup, hence he is a World Cup winner - they can't not give him the medal.