• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

So the ICC evidence is finally in - and apparently even Glen McGrath chucks...

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What I'm saying is that I wouldn't be surprised if even the most natural looking of orthodox spinners have reasonably high degrees of flexion, simply because of the nature of the beast. You're moving your arm fast enough to bowl 110km/h whilst rotating the arm, the elbow has to rotate at the same time. There's going to be flexion there, IMO, and you can see that in a number of actions.
There may be some flexion there, but not nearly as much as with faster bowlers who are moving their arm fast enough to bowl significantly faster. The only way a finger spinner is going to come anywhere near the limit is if they're chucking to a significant extent. Up to 99% of fast bowlers occasionally went past 10 degrees (the old mark for seamers). The old mark for spinners was 5% and I've seen no mention of lots of spinners exceeding that. The 15% rule basically opens the floodgates to legalised chucking for spin bowlers and so you get guys like Ajmal, who chuck moderately and heavily depending on the delivery.

As mentioned before because of the ludicrous situation of only testing flexion in a lab as well things are far too much in favour of the chucker.

smash84

The Tiger King
There may be some flexion there, but not nearly as much as with faster bowlers who are moving their arm fast enough to bowl significantly faster. The only way a finger spinner is going to come anywhere near the limit is if they're chucking to a significant extent. Up to 99% of fast bowlers occasionally went past 10 degrees (the old mark for seamers). The old mark for spinners was 5% and I've seen no mention of lots of spinners exceeding that. The 15% rule basically opens the floodgates to legalised chucking for spin bowlers and so you get guys like Ajmal, who chuck moderately and heavily depending on the delivery.

As mentioned before because of the ludicrous situation of only testing flexion in a lab as well things are far too much in favour of the chucker.
Interestingly would you also discount Jack Hobbs's record since he used to play in a time with a significantly different LBW rule?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Whats the fuss about?
Teesra is completely fine if you are talking about this delivery 43344330006 - YouTube

It is actually better than his orthodox deliveries since his arms straightens - a bit like Malinga or Tait.
I do not really know the rules except the 15 degree but that really looks fine. If anyone has a problem, they should complain to the ICC but lemme remind you, ICC already cleared him ;)

I fear, a few of the camps won't recognize him as a spinner just like they do not consider Murali a spinner.
It's not even vaguely like Malinga or Tait. They're both round armed, but their arms are both straight throughout the delivery action.

The act of straightening the arm is the chuck; if it's bent or straight throughout it's legal.

I think my opinions on Ajmal's action are a matter of record. That he's allowed to "bowl" is a calumny to one of the most basic tenets of our sport.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Just caught up on a few highlights.

Are people actually saying that his teesra isn't a chuck? Just :laugh:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's so brilliant that he had the audacity to tell everyone he'd invented a new delivery when really he's just running up and throwing the ball at the stumps. And that it got to the heads of the English batsmen so convincingly.

Some cheating just has to be admired.

Fusion

Global Moderator
It's so brilliant that he had the audacity to tell everyone he'd invented a new delivery when really he's just running up and throwing the ball at the stumps. And that it got to the heads of the English batsmen so convincingly.

Some cheating just has to be admired.
Wait, are you suggesting that his mere announcement of his new (and barely used) chucking delivery rattled the English psyche so much that they couldn’t properly play him? If they are so easily messed with, I’m shocked that they made it to #1.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
He definitely throws some of those teesra's but bowls some of them with a more Malinga like round arm too.

Would be pretty tough to catch that delivery in a lab, as he will just only bowl the complete round arm ball.

Uppercut

Wait, are you suggesting that his mere announcement of his new (and barely used) chucking delivery rattled the English psyche so much that they couldn’t properly play him? If they are so easily messed with, I’m shocked that they made it to #1.
Haha not really, it's just a narrative that I like so I'm sticking with it. There's a grain of truth.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Are people actually saying they can figure out things with the naked eye that technology cannot catch? :laugh:
The fifteen degree tolerance limit wasn't just pulled out of some UWA's scientist's arsehole. It was decided on because it's the flexion level at which it becomes visible to the human eye. Therefore, short of a Muralitharanesque physical defect, if it has webbed feet, feathers and goes "quack" then it's a duck.

Just watching the highlights now, actually. He has to be reported. From the side angle it just isn't funny. He is literally throwing it down. Ridiculous.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I don't think it is visible if it is 17 or 20 degrees. Your eyes have to be real sharp to detect such small deviations and hey, if your eyes are that good, who needs hawkeye? ;)

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Obviously nobody is going to be able to out an exact figure on how much it straightens but the point is if to the naked eye it looks like chucking then it's probably very close to chucking. As was found with his offbreak and doosra. They looked dodgy, were tested and found to be close to the limit but crucially legal. So the human eye wasn't too far wrong with that one. The fact his teesra actually looks worse isn't a promising sign for him because if it is worse then chances are it's illegal.

and by chances I mean 99.99%.

M0rphin3

International Debutant
CBF to read the entire thread, but can someone point out what advantage chuckers have over the legit ones? Is it the pace or turn?

benchmark00

CBF to read the entire thread, but can someone point out what advantage chuckers have over the legit ones? Is it the pace or turn?
Both.

It provides another lever. Instead of just having your wrist to impart spin and/or pace, you've now got the leverage of another joint as well.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah human eye is better than technology when we are talking about chucking. And it's the other way round for LBW decisions.

I think it's best to blame BCCI for everything.