• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

MCG to lose Test?

Craig

World Traveller
Full story here

If the bad weather prevents from the MCG from hosting the Boxing Day Test, I say good luck to the Telstra Dome. I just hope that the people turn out for Test at the Telstra Dome if the MCG ground isn't match fit.

At least on the bright side is that they no play will be lost to rain (unless they open the roof), even if there is a huge downpour in Melbourne, so that would have to be a plus for TV viewers and specators at the ground

Buddhmaster

International Captain
Being a big A.F.L fan, i don't quite like the idea of playing cricket in the Telstra Dome, even though it's better for everything, i just dont like the idea.

Waughney

International Debutant
masterblaster said:
Hope Not, MCG is the home of Victorian Cricket.
Some could argue Test cricket for that matter, with the first ever match being played there.

Craig

World Traveller
As compared to playing on a substandard outfield that could cause serious injuries, if you have a better option, I'm all for to hearing it.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm sure the 'Gabba could host it. :p

Believe it or not, as a through and through Qlder, I love the boxing day test being in Melbourne. Nothing better than getting up around 10:15 on boxing day, getting ready to watch the rain fall.

shaka

International Regular
By having the game at the telstra dome, the retractable roof could be used. The MCG looks like a mess at the moment, too much construction work, and the field is sandy atthe moment. field and pitch being made up elsewhere I think.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
a bit sandy? ha! there's not a speck of grass on it at the moment, its all just mud. they're getting it ready to be an athletics track for 2006 commonwealth games. neways, re: craig's comments about substandard outfield, sounds like you haven't really heard of telstra dome, or "death valley" as it used to be termed. with the retractable roof in place, the grass is well below the standard of the mcg. and can i remind you all that there is still a month and a half for them to lay new grass, and the pitch will be dropped in, as per usual.

Rich2001

International Captain
vic_orthdox said:
a bit sandy? ha! there's not a speck of grass on it at the moment, its all just mud.
LOL I don't see the problem myself! - Just get Brett Lee on from one end to take advantage of any uneven bounce there may be and get Warnie on from the other to take advantage of the extra grip. :D :cool:

Attachments

Craig

World Traveller
When the running track is put in - surely the MCG would be the only mainstream Test venue that has a running track around it?

Craig

World Traveller
vic_orthdox said:
a bit sandy? ha! there's not a speck of grass on it at the moment, its all just mud. they're getting it ready to be an athletics track for 2006 commonwealth games. neways, re: craig's comments about substandard outfield, sounds like you haven't really heard of telstra dome, or "death valley" as it used to be termed. with the retractable roof in place, the grass is well below the standard of the mcg. and can i remind you all that there is still a month and a half for them to lay new grass, and the pitch will be dropped in, as per usual.
How long does it take for new grass to grow?

As long as you don't dive and use your knees - ala Simon Jones in the 'Gabba in 2002, then I think you should be fine.

It astounds me that fielders still use that fielding technique - surely that is a knee reconstruction and a whole year out of the game at least just waiting to happen.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Craig said:
When the running track is put in - surely the MCG would be the only mainstream Test venue that has a running track around it?
It won't have a running track around it, the base for the athletics track will be under the grass. If it were to have a regulation athletics track around the playing surface, the ground would be ridiculously small.

Linda

Dasa said:
It won't have a running track around it, the base for the athletics track will be under the grass. If it were to have a regulation athletics track around the playing surface, the ground would be ridiculously small.
Or just plain ridiculous :blink:

I agree about Telstra Dome. A little bit of moisture on that grass and no one can keep their feet!

Craig

World Traveller
Dasa said:
So they just remove the grass when it is needed?

Dasa

Craig said:
So they just remove the grass when it is needed?
Sort of. They'll remove the grass after the 2006 AFL season and install the proper track on the base that's under the grass. After the Comm. Games are over, I'm pretty sure it'll go back to being a normal cricket ground, so no track under the grass.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
It astounds me that fielders still use that fielding technique - surely that is a knee reconstruction and a whole year out of the game at least just waiting to happen.
I don't think that was so much to do with the fielding as the turf was it?

Craig

World Traveller
Partly yes.

I wouldn't use thato technique of fielding on any surface as it leads up the possibility of injuring my knee.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Mister Wright said:
I'm sure the 'Gabba could host it. :p

Believe it or not, as a through and through Qlder, I love the boxing day test being in Melbourne. Nothing better than getting up around 10:15 on boxing day, getting ready to watch the rain fall.
Just like last year?

Wait, wasn't it the other way around ;)

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
marc71178 said:
I don't think that was so much to do with the fielding as the turf was it?
If you go down sliding on your knees it'll cause you problems sooner or later though.