• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tendulkar Vs Anwar

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Bapu Rao Swami said:
Swarnjeet,

In LOI cricket Ganguly is a better bat than Anwar.

Stats wise - Ganguly averages 42 ,22 centuries, 31 Man of the Match Awards in LOI cricket.He holds the record for the maximum no. of "Man of the Match" awards in a row. His magnificent century against Pakistan at Dhaka, enabled India to chase the highest score ever chased in one-dayers, a superb 314!... He holds the record for the highest one-day partnership with Tendulkar, a huge 252.He and Tendulkar are the 4th Best Opening pair in the History of One-day Cricket. Ganguly has the distinction of being one of the few players in the World to Score a century and take 4 wickets in the same match. Ganguly has also set a World Record for 5 consecutive Man of the Match Awards. Let us also keep in mind that Dada is a great player on the off side, Ganguly in his pomp is flawless!!

Who can ever forget Dada's 183 in the WC against Sri Lanka in 99?

Dada is better than Anwar in LOIs while I admit Anwar is better in tests.
Hi,

My point was not that Anwar is better or Ganguly. One can go into comparisons but these are odious.

Of course, Ganguly has an impressive record (although I wouldnt call his batting flawless by any stretch of imagination)

What I was tryin to say was that it was not THAT far fetched a comparison to be laughed at.

Thats all.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think Sourav is a better ODI player than Anwar, but as SJS said, it is a close thing between the two of them and I think it is a very good comparison, as both of them were left handers and openers and played a lot in the sub-continent.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Okay Guys here is a comparison of Saurav and Anwar on more equitable basis.

These are their statistics against all opponents (except each others countries) and all non test playing countries as well as Bangladesh are removed from both players figures. So here they are

GANGULY

Innings 193
Runs 7225
100's 15
Avg 39.9

ANWAR

Innings 180
Runs 6223
100's 16
Avg 37.5

If you add Indo-Pak matches, Anwars average gets closer to Ganguly's and his lead of 1 hundred over Gabguly increases to 3 hundreds.

Not too much between them is there.

BTW, Anwars's career Scoring Rate is 80.6 against Ganguly's 74.5.

Ganguly has 31 man of match awards (at least a couple for his bowling in Canada) against Anwars 27 .

So I dont think too much separates them on performance.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
honestbharani said:
Can you do a home and away split of those stats?
Okay. Here are the away and at home figures but these are overall and not far a select group of opponents.

Ganguly : Home (Away)

Matches : 57(205)

Innings : 56(197)

Average : 47.5 (40.5)

100's : 4 (18)

Anwar : Home (Away)

Matches : 42(205)

Innings : 40(204)

Average : 46.8 (37.8)

100's : 3 (17)

Again not much between them.

I would presume that Anwars much superior strike rate would apply both at home and abroad.

So the moral is : The fans tend to use a lot of rhetoric and hype which they actually believe in but may not always be based on facts :sleep: :sleep:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Anwar averages only 29.7 away from home. He averages 42 in neutral venues, but taking UAE away from that list, he only averages 39.6 at neutral venues.

Sourav averages a more impressive 37.2 away from home. At neutral venues, he averages 43. Taking out his Sharjah stats, he averages nearly 48. So, I guess overall, Sourav sort of edges out Saeed as a ODI player.

I would like to clarify here that away refers to only test playing nations played in their home grounds. The Sharjahs and the Torontos are not included in this away list.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
honestbharani said:
Anwar averages only 29.7 away from home. He averages 42 in neutral venues, but taking UAE away from that list, he only averages 39.6 at neutral venues.

Sourav averages a more impressive 37.2 away from home. At neutral venues, he averages 43. Taking out his Sharjah stats, he averages nearly 48. So, I guess overall, Sourav sort of edges out Saeed as a ODI player.

I would like to clarify here that away refers to only test playing nations played in their home grounds. The Sharjahs and the Torontos are not included in this away list.
Oh yes. I agree Ganguly has an over all superior one day record to Anwar. No doubt about that. But this came up because some people said it was crazy even to contemplate comparing them which is unfair I think. They are eminently comparable. But Ganguly has a better record overall and, as you rightly point out, on venues where the public support is reduced :)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
SJS said:
Oh yes. I agree Ganguly has an over all superior one day record to Anwar. No doubt about that. But this came up because some people said it was crazy even to contemplate comparing them which is unfair I think. They are eminently comparable. But Ganguly has a better record overall and, as you rightly point out, on venues where the public support is reduced :)
Agree with you fully on that. I would not mind having Anwar and Sourav opening the innings for me, esp. at Sharjah.

tooextracool

International Coach
honestbharani said:

i dont think there was ever much doubt that ganguly was the better ODI player. anwar was far too inconsistent to match him, particularly before and after 96-98