• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tendulkar Vs Anwar

Bapu Rao Swami

U19 12th Man
Oh please, Sachin is streets ahead of Anwar, even though Anwar scored a 194 with the help of a runner 8-)

Infact I'd even say Jayasuriya is better than Anwar. Anwar was a desert fox.

On a serious note, a better comparison would be;

- Arvinda DeSilva V Mark Waugh

- Anwar V Ganguly

Bouncer

State Regular
Anwer VS Gangually comonn man..you cracked me up....comingback to comparison.....i dont think there is too much between two batsman....let me tell one thing to people who have been cosidering anwar Miles, Streets...and what not behind sachin...

How often have we had Sachin Vs Lara thread...and more often than not they end up showing Lara being better player than Sachin...nowlook at this...as of right now
Brian Lara 244 237 8921 42.28
Saeed ANwar 247 244 8823 39.21

There is a runs differnce of less than 100 runs between saeed and player who is by many people reconked better than sachin...or at least as good as Sachin....then how come he be Streets and miles behind Sachin.

In my personal most fovorite list i Put Lara ahead of everyone else..followed by Sachin, DE Silva, Mark Waugh and Saeed aqual for their One day abailities

tooextracool

International Coach
Bapu Rao Swami said:
On a serious note, a better comparison would be;

- Arvinda DeSilva V Mark Waugh

- Anwar V Ganguly
neither of them are significantly better comparisons. as ive said earlier aravinda desilva is an extremely overrated player while mark waugh was one of the better

and anwar is certainly not as good as hes made out to be. he was one of the most inconsistent ODI players of the 90s.

tooextracool

International Coach
Bouncer said:
How often have we had Sachin Vs Lara thread...and more often than not they end up showing Lara being better player than Sachin...nowlook at this...as of right now

actually i dont remember anyone saying that lara is a better player in ODIs.....

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
tooextracool said:
neither of them are significantly better comparisons. as ive said earlier aravinda desilva is an extremely overrated player while mark waugh was one of the better

and anwar is certainly not as good as hes made out to be. he was one of the most inconsistent ODI players of the 90s.
Aravinda was champ! A legend for Sri Lanka no doubt.

tooextracool

International Coach
Nnanden said:
Aravinda was champ! A legend for Sri Lanka no doubt.
perhaps for SL yes, but his record away from the sub continent suggests that he is another one of those jayawardhene type players.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I think we should have a separate VERSUS THREAD

where you pose x versus y until it finally comes down to me versus you between forum members :p

Here are some ideas..

Sobers versus Mohammad Ali
Jardine vs Nasser Hussain
Bradman vs Babe Ruth
Ganguly vs George Bush
Mr WG Grace vs Mr OB Laden
Ronnie Irani vs Rohan Gavaskar

etc etc...

Bapu Rao Swami

U19 12th Man
tooextracool said:

I like comparisons providing they're somewhat even, the more even they appear..the more interesting the comparison is.

Between Anwar and Ganguly,It is not as cut and dry as it seems. Ganguly is a better batsman in one dayers. In fact for a long time he was as good or even better than SRT. Anwar would be a better bat in test match. Taking nothing away from Anwar, Ganguly could decimate attacks probably even more. I would be surprised if Anwar has as much sixes as Ganguly. Ganguly had the ability to really score fast. However from a period circa 94-96, Anwar was in the league of Sachin/Mark Waugh/Lara and co but he then faded away, always was an inconsistent player.

Between Anwar and Jayasuriya, I'd definitely say Jayasuriya in both forms of the game.

How about Saleem Malik V Anwar?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Bapu Rao Swami said:
I like comparisons providing they're somewhat even, the more even they appear..the more interesting the comparison is.

Between Anwar and Ganguly,It is not as cut and dry as it seems. Ganguly is a better batsman in one dayers. In fact for a long time he was as good or even better than SRT. Anwar would be a better bat in test match. Taking nothing away from Anwar, Ganguly could decimate attacks probably even more. I would be surprised if Anwar has as much sixes as Ganguly. Ganguly had the ability to really score fast. However from a period circa 94-96, Anwar was in the league of Sachin/Mark Waugh/Lara and co but he then faded away, always was an inconsistent player.

Between Anwar and Jayasuriya, I'd definitely say Jayasuriya in both forms of the game.

How about Saleem Malik V Anwar?
I am surprised at the passion in those who opposed the Ganguly vs Anwar query. Its not that far fetched. There was a time when Anwar was considered a better player, even in India by Indians.

He was a brilliant stroke player, had a wider range of strokes than Ganguly and was surer than him when playing square and behind point on the off side. He was also much stronger against the short pitched bowling aimed at the body.

So this is not a laughable comparison except, maybe, because Anwar is not on the scene today. It makes less sense , for example to start a Steve Waugh vs Tendulkar debate at this stage. Now it should be done when even Sachin has laid down his boots.

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
Bapu Rao Swami said:
Taking nothing away from Anwar, Ganguly could decimate attacks probably even more. I would be surprised if Anwar has as much sixes as Ganguly. Ganguly had the ability to really score fast. However from a period circa 94-96, Anwar was in the league of Sachin/Mark Waugh/Lara and co but he then faded away, always was an inconsistent player. ?
The only attacks ive seen ganguly decimate were UAE and Kenyas.Anwar was capable of real brilliance on the level of the laras tedulkars,M waughs but he was very inconsistent.
He was a fantastic player who could do great things.

tooextracool

International Coach
Bapu Rao Swami said:
err anwar is a much much better test player than jayasuriya. most of jaysuriyas best performances are within the sub continent. hes struggled in SA, bar the 213 in england hes been poor and hes been miserable in NZ.

Bapu Rao Swami

U19 12th Man
SJS said:
I am surprised at the passion in those who opposed the Ganguly vs Anwar query. Its not that far fetched. There was a time when Anwar was considered a better player, even in India by Indians.

He was a brilliant stroke player, had a wider range of strokes than Ganguly and was surer than him when playing square and behind point on the off side. He was also much stronger against the short pitched bowling aimed at the body.

So this is not a laughable comparison except, maybe, because Anwar is not on the scene today. It makes less sense , for example to start a Steve Waugh vs Tendulkar debate at this stage. Now it should be done when even Sachin has laid down his boots.

Swarnjeet,

In LOI cricket Ganguly is a better bat than Anwar.

Stats wise - Ganguly averages 42 ,22 centuries, 31 Man of the Match Awards in LOI cricket.He holds the record for the maximum no. of "Man of the Match" awards in a row. His magnificent century against Pakistan at Dhaka, enabled India to chase the highest score ever chased in one-dayers, a superb 314!... He holds the record for the highest one-day partnership with Tendulkar, a huge 252.He and Tendulkar are the 4th Best Opening pair in the History of One-day Cricket. Ganguly has the distinction of being one of the few players in the World to Score a century and take 4 wickets in the same match. Ganguly has also set a World Record for 5 consecutive Man of the Match Awards. Let us also keep in mind that Dada is a great player on the off side, Ganguly in his pomp is flawless!!

Who can ever forget Dada's 183 in the WC against Sri Lanka in 99?

Dada is better than Anwar in LOIs while I admit Anwar is better in tests.