• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst ever Test match you have seen

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
THere have been quite a few pointless Test matches and to me the worst matches are the pointless ones. The one between England and West Indies recently at Bridgetown comes to mind as does the one between Pakistan and Sri Lanka which ended the day before the one at Bridgetown started. I doubt if there were ten consecutive days of such terrible cricket in the game before.

For me one of the worst games has to be this one between Sri Lanka and India
Games which feature record run-getting scores like that are at least to some extent enlivened though. I'd never say either of Lara's ARG matches were the worst I'd seen.

The really bad ones are the ones along those lines which feature no run-getting records. Kinda like... Pak vs SL at National Stadium and WI vs Eng at Kensington. :mellow:

Langeveldt

Soutie
England/South Africa Centurion 2000.

That test makes me angry and sad.
I was speaking to the photographer who kind of unearthed the fact that "something was up" about that game.. When the allegations arose and Hansie retired to his Golf Estate home in the Southern Cape, she came over for pictures, only to find he had locked himself away and was sending his maid to tell everyone to **** off.. Then he went for a round of golf and they actually had to chase him on golf buggies

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Agreed. I didn't see any of it but it certainly made for tedious listening on the radio.

One of the most boring Tests in this Country was against Pakistan at the Oval in 1974. Pakistan made 600 in two days and England made 545 in over two days including a dreadful century by Keith Fletcher that at the time was the slowest ever.
The other England vs Pakistan tests that were really dreadful were in 1977/78, with both sides having lost their best players to Packer. All 3 games were drawn, and the runrate was turgid in the extreme.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Pardon the dig.

4th & 5th tests of our current tour to the Windies making strong cases for me. The cricket has been as turgid as the pitches and the quality, bowling especially, has been excremental.

It isn't sour grapes, by the way. The first test we actually lost had infinitely more to recommend it.
Yep, definitely. Although if something incredible happens today then this one could yet reprieve itself, although obviously it's highly unlikely to happen. But I'll judge it at the end; Adelaide 06 might have got a mention in this thread going into day five, after all

The last test was just awful though, still having nightmares about it

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yep, definitely. Although if something incredible happens today then this one could yet reprieve itself, although obviously it's highly unlikely to happen. But I'll judge it at the end; Adelaide 06 might have got a mention in this thread going into day five, after all

The last test was just awful though, still having nightmares about it
Indeed. Adelaide '06 is actually one of my favourite tests ever.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In the early days of that sort of entertaining my dad's employers had corporate hospitality tickets for the Headingley Test in 1981 - being a great cricket enthusiast the old man wangled his way onto the charabanc - he went on the Thursday, Friday and Saturday but declared it the dullest cricket he had ever had the misfortune to watch and surrendered his place to someone else for the Monday and Tuesday - strangely enough although I kept on trying to broach the subject he always seemed reluctant to discuss the match afterwards

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Indeed. Adelaide '06 is actually one of my favourite tests ever.
Eden Gardens '00/01 was even better, purely because it was Australia doing the losing rather than the winning.

If India and Australia had been the other way around, Adelaide would've been a virtual repeat of Eden.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
In the early days of that sort of entertaining my dad's employers had corporate hospitality tickets for the Headingley Test in 1981 - being a great cricket enthusiast the old man wangled his way onto the charabanc - he went on the Thursday, Friday and Saturday but declared it the dullest cricket he had ever had the misfortune to watch and surrendered his place to someone else for the Monday and Tuesday - strangely enough although I kept on trying to broach the subject he always seemed reluctant to discuss the match afterwards
I wonder why :laugh:

Uppercut

Eden Gardens '00/01 was even better, purely because it was Australia doing the losing rather than the winning.

If India and Australia had been the other way around, Adelaide would've been a virtual repeat of Eden.
I don't remember it though.

It's not just the drama of the final day that makes it one of my favourites. Would it explain it any better if i told you Shane Warne was my favourite cricketer of all time?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Funnily enough, one of the first things my Mum related to me about cricket was how my Dad had been offered the chance to attend the fourth (not fifth mind you) day at Headingley that year. This was after the opening three days' play. He decided - reasonably enough - that it wasn't worth bothering as it was never likely to be terribly interesting, with Australia clearly poised to wrap-up victory probably within a session or so.

He elected instead to knock down a porch which needed disposing of in their house at the time.

Needless to say as that Monday's play progressed, the porch's demolition was promptly put-off for another couple of days. :) But Dad has, not surprisingly, always thought it might've been good if he'd elected that even a boring session or so was worth a visit to Headingley for.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't remember it though.
Shameful. You'd only have been 11, not ancient history!
It's not just the drama of the final day that makes it one of my favourites. Would it explain it any better if i told you Shane Warne was my favourite cricketer of all time?
Aha. Subplots thicken. Surprised you'd so love such a **** as Warne though TBH.

Uppercut

Shameful. You'd only have been 11, not ancient history!

Aha. Subplots thicken. Surprised you'd so love such a **** as Warne though TBH.
I wasn't a cricket fan at 11. Can vividly recall football matches right back to about 1997 though.

Warney rules. I don't think I'd actually ever have gotten into cricket if it weren't for him. I shall rant/rave about him somewhere else if you wish to hear about it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If Australia had been India and India been Australia at Eden Gardens in 2000/01, then Adelaide 2006/07 would've been a virtual repeat of their achievement there.

As it was, it was a reverse of their kock-up there.

Zinzan

Pardon the dig.

4th & 5th tests of our current tour to the Windies making strong cases for me. The cricket has been as turgid as the pitches and the quality, bowling especially, has been excremental.

It isn't sour grapes, by the way. The first test we actually lost had infinitely more to recommend it.
Strange that you include this latest test that clearly had CW fans glued to their screens for what was a pretty gripping final session.:ph34r: You only need to check the Eng/WI thread in the last hour or so to see that

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Strange that you include this latest test that clearly had CW fans glued to their screens for what was a pretty gripping final session.:ph34r: You only need to check the Eng/WI thread in the last hour or so to see that
:p

Last 4 sessions rather did ruin my argument, yeah, but what'd gone before was pretty ordinary.

Krishna_j

U19 12th Man
in living memory - it has to be India v Pakistan, Ahmedabad, 1986/7 as earlier posted - made memorable by the infamous slow crawl from younis ahmed and refusal to start play by Imran for frivolous reasons resulting in a day loss - Darrel Hair would have been in his elements.:laugh:

would also state the two tests of the truncated Pak Vs Sl tests in 2009 - the placid nature of the tracks made me feel the terrorists should have given a lesson to the groundsmen instead of the hapless players .

Certainly a poor advert for test cricket

Last edited:

Uppercut

would also state the two tests of the truncated Pak Vs Sl tests in 2009 - the placid nature of the tracks made me feel the terrorists should have given a lesson to the groundsmen instead of the hapless players .
Yeesh. Bit of an ill-advised comment, surely.

Agree though, it's hard to conceive of a worse test series than that one.