• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Zimbabwe Cricket

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
A side note, I see it's not just the Cricket that sees some strange dismissals - a TV commentator was sacked after Zimbabwe were beaten at Football by Nigeria - the reason was for being unpatriotic (he praised an Okocha goal)

Craig

World Traveller
If that happened in England the commentator would have his ex-employers in court for unfair dismissal quicker then Notts County drop through the English lower leagues.

Deja moo

International Captain
They're ploughing 60,000 dollars or something into domestic cricket now( or atleast that's what they claim)

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Its not much of a new name, theyve just subtracted a word. How imaginative of them.

Craig

World Traveller
Deja moo said:
They're ploughing 60,000 dollars or something into domestic cricket now( or atleast that's what they claim)
I believe it when I see it.

Funny that this money has just appeared.

Buddhmaster

International Captain
marc71178 said:
A side note, I see it's not just the Cricket that sees some strange dismissals - a TV commentator was sacked after Zimbabwe were beaten at Football by Nigeria - the reason was for being unpatriotic (he praised an Okocha goal)
That country has some rreeeeeeaaalllll problems.

Western Warrior

School Boy/Girl Captain
Buddhmaster said:
That country has some rreeeeeeaaalllll problems.
Agreed. At a point where more skilled test teams are required in order to prevent the competition becoming too lopsided and predictable, Zimbabwe is instead trying their best to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

My heart goes out to Tatenda Taibu. He is only 21 years of age yet the weight of Zimbabwe's cricket (not to mention political) aspirations rests on his small shoulders.

Since this whole fracas began late last year he's managed to lead by example and score 378 runs at 31.5 (including an 83 against the West Indies). Not bad for someone who has to bat, keep and captain a side choosen more because of their colour than their talent (that is no criticism of the players who are pawns in Mugabe's game)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Craig said:
I believe it when I see it.

Funny that this money has just appeared.
It'll be worth about £2.99 anyway, I can give you a long winded explanation about hyperinflation and the neutrality of money if you want.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Western Warrior said:
My heart goes out to Tatenda Taibu. He is only 21 years of age yet the weight of Zimbabwe's cricket (not to mention political) aspirations rests on his small shoulders.
My heart doesn't.. He's got the most stable job in international cricket... And at least he is allowed to play it..

60,000 Zim dollars will probably buy you a couple of loaves of bread...

Slow Love™

International Captain
Western Warrior said:

Since this whole fracas began late last year he's managed to lead by example and score 378 runs at 31.5 (including an 83 against the West Indies). Not bad for someone who has to bat, keep and captain a side choosen more because of their colour than their talent (that is no criticism of the players who are pawns in Mugabe's game)
Apart from Langeveldt's comments (which I completely agree with), don't you think that perhaps it helps that a) he's the "right" color, and b) he didn't support the rebels? Not that I wish him any ill-will (because I don't), but what's with all the heart-rending sympathy for his "plight"?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Slow Love™ said:
Apart from Langeveldt's comments (which I completely agree with), don't you think that perhaps it helps that a) he's the "right" color, and b) he didn't support the rebels? Not that I wish him any ill-will (because I don't), but what's with all the heart-rending sympathy for his "plight"?
Yeah thats what I thought... I think the guy is great and wish him all the best.. But if you want to cry a river for someone, go do it for someone like David Houghton, Olonga or one of the Flower brothers.. All that toil, for this... Or Sean Ervine, promising beginnings, never? to play international cricket again, because of the colour of his skin...

Buddhmaster

International Captain
marc71178 said:
But I bet Mugabe wouldn't allow you to feed the 5000 with said loaves.
If I were a Zimbabwe cricketer, under Mugabe i wouldn't play. There's just too many problems there for the cricketers to really have any chance to succeed, even if they had all their white players.

Craig

World Traveller
Neil Pickup said:
It'll be worth about £2.99 anyway, I can give you a long winded explanation about hyperinflation and the neutrality of money if you want.
Fish and Chip money - figures.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Buddhmaster said:
If I were a Zimbabwe cricketer, under Mugabe i wouldn't play. There's just too many problems there for the cricketers to really have any chance to succeed, even if they had all their white players.
Well they have to make a living somehow?

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
I am shocked to find that 60 000 Zimbabwean dollars equates to only 6 pounds or only 15 dollars Australian!!!! Am I right or wrong? If im right that is absolutely shocking!