• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Zimbabwe Cricket

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Z$60000 = £5.34 today
It was £6.32 a month ago
It was £43.47 a year ago
It was £970.48 five years ago

It's called economic meltdown.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Nnanden said:
I am shocked to find that 60 000 Zimbabwean dollars equates to only 6 pounds or only 15 dollars Australian!!!! Am I right or wrong? If im right that is absolutely shocking!

When I went to Turkey: 1 pound equated to 131,000 lira
When I left Turkey: 1 pound equated to 186,000 lira
When my dad went recently : 1 pound equated to 2,000,000 lira

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Neil Pickup said:
Z$60000 = £5.34 today
It was £6.32 a month ago
It was £43.47 a year ago
It was £970.48 five years ago

It's called economic meltdown.
thats fricken ridiculous.

Chubb

International Regular
Zimbabwe has been ruined by Mugabe. It could have been, indeed was, the most successful nation in Africa; it's got the lot, natural beauty for tourism, natural resources and had a extremely strong agricultural economy until the seizures. If I was a Zimbabwean I would have left a long time ago. Black or white, I would have left. I actually find it astonishing that despite all the "retirements" they still have any kind of team at all. Some of those young guys could have been really good in the future but the structure they play in is falling apart- and the ICC does nothing, the British Gov. doesn't do anything in case they are calle "Imperialists"- France has just committed troops to the Ivory Coast, and we sent troops to Sierra Leone. Why can't we do something about Mugabe?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Chubb said:
Zimbabwe has been ruined by Mugabe. It could have been, indeed was, the most successful nation in Africa; it's got the lot, natural beauty for tourism, natural resources and had a extremely strong agricultural economy until the seizures. If I was a Zimbabwean I would have left a long time ago. Black or white, I would have left. I actually find it astonishing that despite all the "retirements" they still have any kind of team at all. Some of those young guys could have been really good in the future but the structure they play in is falling apart- and the ICC does nothing, the British Gov. doesn't do anything in case they are calle "Imperialists"- France has just committed troops to the Ivory Coast, and we sent troops to Sierra Leone. Why can't we do something about Mugabe?
Good post.. I vaguely remember when Zimbabwe was one of the most beautiful places on earth, and not called the "Breadbasket of Africa" for nothing... Before Mad Bob really kicked in...

I can't really answer why the International community hasn't done anything about Zimbabwe.. Probably because they have got other fish to fry?

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
They're putting in Zim$635million to fund the development of players, which equates to around £60,000.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Jnr. said:
They're putting in Zim$635million to fund the development of players, which equates to around £60,000.
Where have they got that money from? Printed it?

*waits for Hungary-esque hyperinflation to kick in...*

KishanTeli

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
To put it bluntly, the whole situation is ridiculous. Rebranding Zimbabwe Cricket wont make the slightest difference. Might as well rearrange the deck chairs on the titanic.

Clearly, while Mugabe is in charge the situation will not change. What a shame, as highlighted by other forum members Zimbabwe does have alot of potential. So frustrating :@

Sussexshark

Cricket Spectator
I think it's all to do with a 3 letter word that begins with O and ends with L.

I've been reading through what you guys are saying and it echoes what I've always said about the Zim situation. I even think what Mugabe's doing is worse than the worst excesses of apartheid - I see no difference between a white supremacist racist b*****d and a black one. However, Mugabe gets away with it because he is black. Oh, and don't accuse me of racism either in expressing these views. Consider how he's treated by other African states, as a hero. And consider that the other coloured nations within the cricket family do not say anything negative about Zim.

We used to scream No normal sport in an abnormal society when condemning apartheid. I've seen nothing like that in relation to Zimbabwe. Why is that? What are people so afraid of?

I feel so sad for the country - it's been raped by that fricking monster and will never ever recover to be the beautiful country where my wife and I had the holiday of a lifetime.

So sad

Peter

Langeveldt

Soutie
Sussexshark said:
I think it's all to do with a 3 letter word that begins with O and ends with L.

I've been reading through what you guys are saying and it echoes what I've always said about the Zim situation. I even think what Mugabe's doing is worse than the worst excesses of apartheid - I see no difference between a white supremacist racist b*****d and a black one. However, Mugabe gets away with it because he is black. Oh, and don't accuse me of racism either in expressing these views. Consider how he's treated by other African states, as a hero. And consider that the other coloured nations within the cricket family do not say anything negative about Zim.

We used to scream No normal sport in an abnormal society when condemning apartheid. I've seen nothing like that in relation to Zimbabwe. Why is that? What are people so afraid of?

I feel so sad for the country - it's been raped by that fricking monster and will never ever recover to be the beautiful country where my wife and I had the holiday of a lifetime.

So sad

Peter
Good post.. I think even a lot of Europeans and Americans are sitting back thinking "Those colonial *******s got what was coming to them"... It's a pretty disgusting mentality when you consider how well these white employers have treated their farm labourers compared with how they are being treated by the state at the moment.. As for the rest of Africa, well if you think about it, it isnt really their problem is it? You have to realise that the politics of the continent don't revolve around helping others out..
Anyway, I think (well I hope and pray) that there is a big recovery, no matter how long it takes Mugabe's legacy won't last for ever.. The years following his exit could be the most important ever for Zimbo... It's still an insanely beautiful and spirited place, but it will take ages and ages to get right, and thats only if the right people are involved..