• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian ODI squad

GermanShepherd

School Boy/Girl Captain
India squad: Sourav Ganguly (capt), Rahul Dravid (vice-capt), Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar, Venkatsai Laxman, Yuvraj Singh, Mohammad Kaif, Ajit Agarkar, Anil Kumble, Irfan Pathan, Harbhajan Singh, Zaheer Khan, Ashish Nehra, Sridharan Sriram, Dinesh Karthik.

This squad was named for the Jubilee game against Pakistan next week.
Nehra and Agarkar shouldn't be there -- time to give the likes of Bhandari/Paul/Salvi a chance.
The inclusion of Laxman and Yuvraj is also questionable as is Kumble whose time in ODI cricket IMO is over. The Dravid as keeper experiment must also stop.

I think India need to be more innovative with their ODI setup/strategies.
The seven batsman 4 bowler tactic is just not workable now.
A squad like the followng would be much better:
1) Ganguly
2) Tendulkar
3) Kaif
4) Dravid
5) Sehwag
6) Powar/Joginder
7) Dinesh Karthik
8) Pathan
9) Zaheer
10) Harbhajan
11) Salvi

12) Murali Karthik

Your'e taking a calculated gamble on the likes of Joginder,Powar, Karthik (wk) -- but I think its well worth the risk. Some imagination and flexibility is the required now.

bryce

International Regular
sridharan sriram gets a chance but i think he should be used in tests if they want him playing for the national side, did they name 15 players for one match ?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
yeah, that is a bit too much. I think Sriram could be tried as a test opener if Gambhir fails to use his chances against RSA. But I rate him as an ODI player too. He bats like Chanderpaul and Kirsten. You hardly notice him and he would have 30 or 40 on the board without using up too many deliveries.

GermanShepherd

School Boy/Girl Captain
honestbharani said:
yeah, that is a bit too much. I think Sriram could be tried as a test opener if Gambhir fails to use his chances against RSA. But I rate him as an ODI player too. He bats like Chanderpaul and Kirsten. You hardly notice him and he would have 30 or 40 on the board without using up too many deliveries.
Does sriram open for TN ? I thought he doesn't open any more.
If he does, he should be in the Indian team as one of the test openers.

Sudeep

International Captain
IMO Sriram has a chance to play only if Ganguly fails to pass fit... I'm quite sure Dravid will relieve the glove work, and hand it over to Karthik.

Dydl

International Debutant
Dravid doesn't like keeping. I remember reading that somewhere or hearing it from some commentator.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
bryce said:
sridharan sriram gets a chance but i think he should be used in tests if they want him playing for the national side, did they name 15 players for one match ?
lol, makes NZ's 14 for a tour look small!

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
GermanShepherd said:
Does sriram open for TN ? I thought he doesn't open any more.
If he does, he should be in the Indian team as one of the test openers.

He used to open in the early days, but nowadays bats at 3. Still won't be a bad idea to ask him to open. He is technically reasonably sound and has a good temperament.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Why are they having this silly match and the SA tour opener at the SAME time?

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
From a tour opener? Maye they could have both matches on different days, so that younger and less established players can get a fair try.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
How about-

Gambhir
Sehwag
Dravid (c)
Tendulkar
Sriram
Kaif
Karthik
Powar
Kumble
Bhandari
Paul/Salvi

for this benefit match?

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
6) Powar/Joginder
If you're talking of that Haryana bowler, he must get that bowling average higher up to get into the Indian A-team, and keep that average high to make the senior team, as well as consistently take wickets.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
dont they ever give up on nehra and aa?
TEC, I know you dont agree but Nehra is really not such a bad bowler. He is actually more gifted than Zaheer. He is not very bright though. And, of course, his physical fitness is legendry.

As a bowler, he is one of the most likely to bowl an unplayable delivery from this lot. Believe me, its true. I wouldnt put him in my team ahead of Pathan and Balaji because they are both smarter cricketers and it is a thinking game.

Between Zaheer and Nehra its a difficult choice. Nehra is a better bowler but Zaheer is more agressive and smarter. The agression bit in Zaheer can work against him, of course.

Ajit Agarkar is too much of a lottery to be played in test matches if there are other options available.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
I don't think anyone really cares about the SA tour opener.
Oh no.

We in India are really interestd in knowing what happens to the batsmen particularly the openers. In fact, I would like to see if Ramesh is played as an opener or not wince there are three openers being played.

India's big problem (besides whatever has happened to the famed Indian middle order) is in the opening.

We are far from it today, but it would be great to have TWO new openers doing well and the rest, Dravid, Tendulkar, Sehwag, Laxman, Ganguly, Yuvraj and Kaif , besides others, fighting for the middle order. Until that happens, we will keep struggling or coming up with inconsistent performances.

But as I said. We are far from it today