cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Leadership of Indian cricket

School Boy/Girl Cricketer

Leadership of Indian cricket

As India look to move forward following their loss of the Border Gavaskar trophy, there's been some talk about change in both the coaching and captaincy departments.

Firstly, re: the coaching, John Wright's contract is scheduled to end circa March 2005. Unquestionably Indian cricket has seen some major improvements under Wright but it also clear that some pretty significant holes remain. Some commentators e.g. Boycott, Greg Chappell have suggested that
    it would probably be in India's interest to look at a fresh face at the helm -- someone who can bring an influx of new ideas and build on the work of Wright. Others have favoured continuity such as Peter Roebuck and veteran Indian broadcaster Bhogle.

Secondly, re: the captaincy, Dravid has been touted in some quarters as the man to take over from Ganguly whose test batting/captaincy/fielding/advocacy of certain players have all been questioned;
    with perhaps young Mohammad Kaif to be groomed as the future captain.

What do you guys think on both counts ?
    In 1995, 16 commandos of the GRU Spetsnatz went
    head to head against 16 US ARMY Rangers in Alaska in ten tests of physical strength and endurance.
    Final Result: Spetsnatz 9 US Army Rangers 1

RIP Vladimir Belyanov (d December 24 1942) Tamanskaya Division (Taman Guards) - Pitomnik Airfield, Stalingrad

Tim
    There's only so much a coach can do. I still feel there are major managment & structual problems within Indian cricket.

There appears to be progress with selecting players based on skill rather than their educational or parental background but it's not as simple as sacking the Coach & Captain IMO.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim
    There's only so much a coach can do. I still feel there are major managment & structual problems within Indian cricket.

There appears to be progress with selecting players based on skill rather than their educational or parental background but it's not as simple as sacking the Coach & Captain IMO.
    True, something needs to be done about the coaching/support facilities offered by Indian domestic cricket.

As amit Verma of Wisden said in his recent article, the national side gets a fairly good level of coaching but what about at state level ?
    Where are the mechanisms in place to rectify problems like Partiv's wicketkeeping, Yuvraj's technique, Munaf Patel's fitness and action ?

Those are the fundamental problems that need to be solved.

the last test match for me saw a great improvement in selection via skill and not other influences. From the reports we get in the media, it seems that ganguly tends to favour some players (patel, yuvraj etc.) and he will go in and try his 100% to make sure that his players are on the team. Now it is good to show faith in your players, but there is a limit. Parthiv patel is an example, of where they had too much faith in him, and it ended up POSSIBLY costing india a number of victories. Now, ppl are saying that india are grooming a young keeper for the future. Now, dinesh karthik is younger than patel, and is definatley a more natural keeper. why on earth didn't he get the chance until noW? Gambhir, Sriram and many other indian openers have been performing brilliantly in the state comp,and have barely got a look in to the indian team until now

sriram was selected aginst the presidents XI, and gambhir played in the final test. they are getting chances......

wlel done on the improvement!

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    they were saying the other day on TV that Tendulkar wants another go at captaincy
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

International Captain masterblaster's Avatar
    Netblazer3D Champion!
    I don't want captaincy affecting Dravid's batting though, he is too good a player for that.

But yeah, Mohammad Kaif is definitely one of the future candidates for Indian Captain after the likes of Ganguly, Dravid and Tendulkar have retired.
    Self Elected Vice-President of AAAS
    (Ajit Agarkar Appreciation Society)

"Uniting Ajit Agarkar Fans World Wide"

Always Live Life With: Intensity, Integrity and Intelligence

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Does Ganguly deserve to be in the Indian test squad as a middle order batsman ahead of Kaifu ?

Tim
    John Wright has remained relatively quiet about the management of Indian Cricket since he began in 2000.
    It would be interesting to see what he has to say should he resign or be sacked.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GermanShepherd
    Does Ganguly deserve to be in the Indian test squad as a middle order batsman ahead of Kaifu ?
    Possibly, possibly not - but whilst still skipper, definitely IMO.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend honestbharani's Avatar
    I still think Laxman would make a better captain than Dravid. But having said that, I cannot see anyone better than Sourav to lead India at the moment.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

One person who I think could be a great potential future captain is Pathan. We're definitely going to be hearing about his batting in the future. His bowling will also improve, at the age of 19, he got up to 143km/h, it'll only get faster and more accurate as he gets older. He's got the ability to work under pressure and always deliver for his team.

Dravid and Tendulkar are not aggressive enough to be captains. You need someone who stands up for themselves and the team. Much of the reason why Ganguly made such a good Indian captain. The indian captaincy needs to go to someone aggressive, with fire running through his heart, like Pathan.

India should work to groom him as a future captain. Brightens the future considerably...

Quote Originally Posted by Spetsnatz
    with perhaps young Mohammad Kaif to be groomed as the future captain.
    I like that idea, and I think it will occur. Kaif's definitely the future of Indian cricket.

Regarding current captaincy, I think Dravid's batting is more valuable than Ganguly's and this if captaincy is indeed affecting Ganguly's batting, who's to say it won't affect Dravid's too? I want Ganguly to stick as captain.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    I like that idea, and I think it will occur. Kaif's definitely the future of Indian cricket.

Regarding current captaincy, I think Dravid's batting is more valuable than Ganguly's and this if captaincy is indeed affecting Ganguly's batting, who's to say it won't affect Dravid's too? I want Ganguly to stick as captain.
    It has to be someone whose place in the side is not 'iffy'. Kaif has some way to go for that.

The people who are firmly in the team are Dravid and Tendulkar(first), Sehwag and Kumble (second) Laxman and Ganguly (third). I have taken those more likely to be chosen as skipper and left out someone like Harbhajan.

Clearly the choice falls first on Dravid and then on Tendulkar.

Sehwag may not be such a bad choice but he will find it difficult to give instructions to batsmen if he has just thrown away his wicket with a nowhere shot.

If at all there has to be a change, I think Dravid has to put up his hand and I am sure his batting will be okay over time.

looking at just this series, zaheer khan seems to have some agression and fire running through him

School Boy/Girl Captain
    It's a difficult one. The captain has to be a natural leader because if he has to work at being the leader, that will take time away from his game. Also, a player has to be a permanent fixture on the team before he can be considered for captaincy, which disqualifies Kumble and Kaif.

Tendulkar, as he showed in the past, is NOT a natural leader. A natural leader understands the weaknesses of other players and tries to get the best out of them for the benefit of the team. Tendulkar, because of the level he consistently performs at, didn't do that the last time around. Was it because he was only in his mid-20's? Is he mature enough now (and perhaps more importantly, has failed enough) to be more tolerant of his mates' weaknesses and understand how to get the best out of the individuals on his team?

Dravid has been good in the tests he has captained in; he certainly gets the guys to perform at their best but his batting has gone to pieces in those games. He averages in the 10-15 range; clearly not something that indicates that captaincy won't affect his batting. If his batting stats as a captain looked even close to good, he would be a slam dunk choice to take over from Saurav.

Sehwag doesn't think much about his game and there's no point in giving him the captaincy. He's a freewheeler who shouldn't be burdened with making others perform.

Laxman seems like an intelligent individual and I'm not quite sure how he would make out as a captain. I would love to see him captain a few games to see how he thinks.

Harbhajan has too much energy, and not enough maturity, to be a captain right now. Maybe 5-8 years from now, he would be perfect. The guy will go through a wall to win for India. You need a perfect blend of that type of enthusiasm and maturity. Enthusiasm he has but maturity will come with time.

Pathan is the same as Harbhajan only less expressive and seems like a bit more intelligent as a cricketer.

For now, I think the best policy is to stick with Ganguly and a few years down the road, pass it onto either Harbhajan or Pathan (or Kaif if he ends up replacing either of the middle-order batsmen).

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information