• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Calling all Batsmen - What goes through your mind?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Im a naturally defensive batsman..

1) Get the trigger movement going, back and across
2) Wait for the ball! No premeditation, then go forward or back..
3) Big effort on keeping the ball on the ground, early in the innings
4) Run between the wickets like an absolute whippet
5) Head position, above the pitch of the ball, and relax!

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
There are just so many factors to think about. I like the idea of splitting the pitch up into areas where certain shots can be played. Erratic bounce can lead to problems with the horizontal bat shots. Personally if I see anything coming that is pitched short I rock back and pull regardless of the line. Then again if I am facing someone really quick which doesn't happen often then I drop the hands and get out of the road.

If the ball is swinging away then I like to leave everything outside off stump until I get settled. Where a batsman takes guard and stands with respect to his crease makes a difference (LBWs etc). Anything on the stumps is played with a straight bat.

Just some thoughts. On pitch characteristics maybe moisture. The weather can then play a part in how quickly the pitch dries out. Humidity also playing a part with swing.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The Argonaut said:
There are just so many factors to think about. I like the idea of splitting the pitch up into areas where certain shots can be played.
That's my approach too. My problem with that is that I generally don't realize how much time I have to get into position against all speeds of bowlers. Instead I rush myself and end up unbalanced by the time the ball does come.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
The Argonaut said:
There are just so many factors to think about. I like the idea of splitting the pitch up into areas where certain shots can be played. Erratic bounce can lead to problems with the horizontal bat shots. Personally if I see anything coming that is pitched short I rock back and pull regardless of the line. Then again if I am facing someone really quick which doesn't happen often then I drop the hands and get out of the road.

If the ball is swinging away then I like to leave everything outside off stump until I get settled. Where a batsman takes guard and stands with respect to his crease makes a difference (LBWs etc). Anything on the stumps is played with a straight bat.

Thats about it.

What you pray you dont get very early is a ball pitched up (enough to rule out going back) on the middle and off which moves away very very late. If it does happen, you hope it beats you copletely and misses the off stump too :p