• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Irony of The Australian Cricket Team

Hari Krishna

Cricket Spectator
It was a matter of irony that Australia had lost the fourth and final test match against India yesterday at Wankhade Stadium in Mumbai.

They had lost very narrowly i.e. a meagre 13 runs. The test series was finished very closely.

There were four factors for their loss:

(i) Ricky Ponting had lost the toss,

(ii) Adam Gilchrist did not take the captaincy due to return of Ponting,

(iii) Rain had played a small role too, and

(iv) Warney is injured at the right moment.

But Team Australia has one thing to cheer i.e. they had won a test series a couple of days back, after 35 years due to Adam Gilchrist's superb captaincy.

Cheers to Australian Cricket Team for the future!

Craig

World Traveller
I don't see the irony.

Unless you are saying Gilchrist is a better captain then Ponting?

Western Warrior

School Boy/Girl Captain
Craig said:
I don't see the irony.

Unless you are saying Gilchrist is a better captain then Ponting?
There is no irony to be applied. I think the article below gives a good insight into why the test match was so brief.

Ponting wants ICC pitch inquiry
Saturday November 6, 05:11 PM

Australian captain Ricky Ponting wants the International Cricket Council to launch an inquiry into the doctoring of an overly lively pitch at Wankhede Stadium that led to the fourth Test ending in virtually two days.

But curator Polly Umrigar, who prepared the 22 yard strip of dynamite, has blamed the batsmen for making his pitch look bad.

"I do not care what others say, my verdict is that the batsmen did not apply themselves," said Umrigar, a former Indian captain.

"The wicket was not as difficult as it is being made out to be. Batsmen willing to play shots got ample opportunities."

After the first day featured just 11 overs - and two wickets - because of freakish rains in a city that is normally dry rather than drenched, no less than 38 wickets tumbled over the next two frenetic days.

Ponting said the wicket, which gave massive amounts of turn for the spinners and exaggerated bounce and movement off the seam for the pacemen, was "not even close to Test standard" after Australia was rolled for 93 in its second innings for a 13-run loss.

"I mean, 40 wickets (sic) in two days, I think that says it all," said the Australian skipper.

"It's disappointing for the players, who turned up looking forward to a hard, five-day Test match, and it's all over in two.

"It puts a bit of a sour taste in the mouth. It's pretty disappointing for the Indian fans.

"Even though they won, they would've liked to have seen two more days of cricket. A lot of people are affected by it.

"I want to have a chat to (Indian captain) Rahul Dravid about it, and both put our minds together.

"I don't think he'll have too many good things to say about the wicket, either.

"We need to have a chat about it, and have a chat to the referee, and give the wicket and the ground its just desserts."

Ponting said: "Let's hope there is an inquiry. As a player you want to be tested under different conditions and in different countries, but that was just going a little bit too far.

"We've played in three venues other than this one in this Test series, and the conditions have been different in each one, which is the beauty of playing cricket in India.

"But in all the matches other than Nagpur, the match was going into a fifth day, which is what you want. Unfortunately this one didn't even finish (in) two."

India made 104 and 205, Australia 203 and 93 as batsmen came and went in a hurry.

Chasing only 107 to win the series 3-0, the Australians were skittled in 30.5 overs as offspinner Harbhajan Singh took 5-29 and man-of-the match Murali Kartik finished with 3-32.

"It's probably one of the toughest wickets I've played a match on," said Dravid.

"It was interesting and it produced a great Test match. I'll admit it's not an ideal Test match, but it was a fantastic game of cricket on what was definitely not an ideal Test wicket."

Fast bowler Glenn McGrath added: "Any game that finishes on what was really only a day two pitch is probably not what you expect from a Test-standard wicket.

"But we gave it our best shot. All in all, when we sit back and think about the whole tour, it's been pretty successful."

Australian coach John Buchanan also had reservations.

"If you look at the quality of both sides, the quality of the batting, it does suggest there is something that needs to be investigated," he said.

"It's not for me to say it, but I dare say the ICC and authorities will have a close look and we could see some reports from the match referee and the umpires about the quality of the conditions that we experienced here."

Ponting said the loss should not detract from the significant achievement of Australia winning a series in India for the first time since 1969.

"It's been unbelievable," he said after receiving the Border-Gavaskar Trophy for the 2-1 series triumph.

"What has been achieved is, for most of the guys, a once-in-a-lifetime thing.

"A lot of this group might not come back to India again. It's an unbelievable effort to win the way we have. The whole squad and team effort has been first class."

Eclipse

International Debutant
is this thread a joke ?

India won because they played better and Australia screwed up..

tooextracool

International Coach
Western Warrior said:
There is no irony to be applied. I think the article below gives a good insight into why the test match was so brief.

Ponting wants ICC pitch inquiry
Saturday November 6, 05:11 PM

Australian captain Ricky Ponting wants the International Cricket Council to launch an inquiry into the doctoring of an overly lively pitch at Wankhede Stadium that led to the fourth Test ending in virtually two days.

But curator Polly Umrigar, who prepared the 22 yard strip of dynamite, has blamed the batsmen for making his pitch look bad.

"I do not care what others say, my verdict is that the batsmen did not apply themselves," said Umrigar, a former Indian captain.

"The wicket was not as difficult as it is being made out to be. Batsmen willing to play shots got ample opportunities."

After the first day featured just 11 overs - and two wickets - because of freakish rains in a city that is normally dry rather than drenched, no less than 38 wickets tumbled over the next two frenetic days.

Ponting said the wicket, which gave massive amounts of turn for the spinners and exaggerated bounce and movement off the seam for the pacemen, was "not even close to Test standard" after Australia was rolled for 93 in its second innings for a 13-run loss.

"I mean, 40 wickets (sic) in two days, I think that says it all," said the Australian skipper.

"It's disappointing for the players, who turned up looking forward to a hard, five-day Test match, and it's all over in two.

"It puts a bit of a sour taste in the mouth. It's pretty disappointing for the Indian fans.

"Even though they won, they would've liked to have seen two more days of cricket. A lot of people are affected by it.

"I want to have a chat to (Indian captain) Rahul Dravid about it, and both put our minds together.

"I don't think he'll have too many good things to say about the wicket, either.

"We need to have a chat about it, and have a chat to the referee, and give the wicket and the ground its just desserts."

Ponting said: "Let's hope there is an inquiry. As a player you want to be tested under different conditions and in different countries, but that was just going a little bit too far.

"We've played in three venues other than this one in this Test series, and the conditions have been different in each one, which is the beauty of playing cricket in India.

"But in all the matches other than Nagpur, the match was going into a fifth day, which is what you want. Unfortunately this one didn't even finish (in) two."

India made 104 and 205, Australia 203 and 93 as batsmen came and went in a hurry.

Chasing only 107 to win the series 3-0, the Australians were skittled in 30.5 overs as offspinner Harbhajan Singh took 5-29 and man-of-the match Murali Kartik finished with 3-32.

"It's probably one of the toughest wickets I've played a match on," said Dravid.

"It was interesting and it produced a great Test match. I'll admit it's not an ideal Test match, but it was a fantastic game of cricket on what was definitely not an ideal Test wicket."

Fast bowler Glenn McGrath added: "Any game that finishes on what was really only a day two pitch is probably not what you expect from a Test-standard wicket.

"But we gave it our best shot. All in all, when we sit back and think about the whole tour, it's been pretty successful."

Australian coach John Buchanan also had reservations.

"If you look at the quality of both sides, the quality of the batting, it does suggest there is something that needs to be investigated," he said.

"It's not for me to say it, but I dare say the ICC and authorities will have a close look and we could see some reports from the match referee and the umpires about the quality of the conditions that we experienced here."
how about someone telling ponting to shut up?
does he seriously believe that the wickets in australia are better? remind me about the 2 tests vs SL.....1 wicket that was just as bowler friendly, and another that was too flat.

bryce

International Regular
try telling me that this is not irony then....

gilchrist is appointed stand-in captain for ponting and wins the first three tests, when incumbent captain ponting comes back australia lose.
although i wouldn't say that applies to the autralian cricket team as the thread title says.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
This is possibly the worst thread I have seen on Cricket Chat which has been written seriously. The way this has been thought out is ridiculous. Has Ponting played the first 3 Tests he would have had the same result, if not better. India simply played better. Would people be calling for Waughs head as captain if the same thing had happened? No. Ponting has MORE then proven himself as captain.

Truth be told, you are basically giving Ponting an impossibly dumb ultimatum. You have to win this Test, otherwise you are not as good a captain as Gilchrist. RIGHT....

Another thing to note is that when Ponting came back Australia should have been a stronger side batting wise, which I think illustrates further how bad the pitch was...

Not every loss is the captains fault...

Eclipse

International Debutant
tooextracool said:
does he seriously believe that the wickets in australia are better? remind me about the 2 tests vs SL.....1 wicket that was just as bowler friendly, and another that was too flat.
Well if you use your head and have a look you might remember that the bowler friendly pitch was critersized by some members of the Australian team.. I dont think Ponting said much other than it was a bit disapointing but if your going to say something like this make sure your right..

As for the one that was great to bat on well no one seems to be saying much about overly good batting wickets these days unfourtunatly.

tooextracool

International Coach
Eclipse said:
Well if you use your head and have a look you might remember that the bowler friendly pitch was critersized by some members of the Australian team.. I dont think Ponting said much other than it was a bit disapointing but if your going to say something like this make sure your right..

As for the one that was great to bat on well no one seems to be saying much about overly good batting wickets these days unfourtunatly.
criticized, maybe, suggesting that the ICC should look into it? not a chance. how can someone ask for the icc to look into one particular pitch when the home groundsmen themselves have been producing some of the worst pitches in the world recently?
and thats precisely the problem in the world of cricket today. if we cant accept terribly bowler friendly conditions, then what about some of those ridiculous drawn test matches that we see every so often these days?
and give me a bowlers paradise to a flat test bore any day, at least in the bowler friendly wicket, i can be guaranteed a result and possibly a very close game.

Last edited:

Eclipse

International Debutant
tooextracool said:
criticized, maybe, suggesting that the ICC should look into it? not a chance. how can someone ask for the icc to look into one particular pitch when the home groundsmen themselves have been producing some of the worst pitches in the world recently?
and thats precisely the problem in the world today. if we cant accept terribly bowler friendly conditions, then what about some of those ridiculous drawn test matches that we see every so often these days?
and give me a bowlers paradise to a flat test bore any day, at least in the bowler friendly wicket, i can be guaranteed a result and possibly a very close game.
The pitches produced in Australia at least give the viewing public more than 3 days of cricket.

Besides this pitch was far worse and dont even try to suggest otherwise.

I still dont think all the pitches last summer where that flat yes they where flat but the bowling was also pathetic.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Now just a minute. Drawn Test matches? The rate of them has decreased a LOT over the last 20 odd years.

Yes, maybe the batsmen friendly pitches are *shock* batsman friendly, but you can't say they don't produce results and close games as well...

deeps

International 12th Man
i think it's about time there's been some more bowler friendly pitches...there has been ridiciolously high scores being scored all around the world, with a large jump in centuries,doubles and even a 400. either the standard of bowling has dropped significantly, batsman have become brilliant, or the pitches are flatter.

i think it's the latter, and some more lively pitches wont do the game any harm. Everyone was watching the game closely, because a wicket could fall at any time. Talks about a doctored pitch are all garbage, as india and australia both batted on the same pitch, and it didn't significantly advantage any team. Both teams were going to struggle on such pitches. The biggest mistake the australians did was underbowl their part time spinners, and over-bowled their quicks in india's second innings. Admittedly, warne didn't play, and he would have made a big difference, but they had some quality fill ins. katich and clarke both bowl decent spin, and they were not utilised. clarke finally came on and ripped through the indians.

i'd like to see some more lively pitches, to stop this batsman's era. there comes a point, where too many big scores detracts from the thrill and drama of a century. Centuries should not be easy to get, and yet, nowadays, any old joe blogs can get one.

Batsman should be made to work hard for 100 runs, as bowlers should also be made to work hard to take 5 wickets.

Obviously this pitch was TOO bowler friendly, but there's been plent of batsman friendly pitches that have not come underfire.

the trick is to find the right mix.

Eclipse

International Debutant
and thats precisely the problem in the world of cricket today. if we cant accept terribly bowler friendly conditions, then what about some of those ridiculous drawn test matches that we see every so often these days?
And as you may be aware Ponting is a batsman and he scored over 700 runs in the test series last year.. I think he would be crazy to complain dont you.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Western Warrior said:
This is the key statement IMO.

Sehwag309

Banned
marc71178 said:

Murali Kartik's too

"Any wicket, people are always going to find something wrong with it. If it turns, it's going to help the spinners, if it seams, it's going to help the fast bowlers, if it's a flat wicket, the bowlers are going to suffer."

Slow Love™

International Captain
deeps said:
i'd like to see some more lively pitches, to stop this batsman's era. there comes a point, where too many big scores detracts from the thrill and drama of a century. Centuries should not be easy to get, and yet, nowadays, any old joe blogs can get one.

Batsman should be made to work hard for 100 runs, as bowlers should also be made to work hard to take 5 wickets.

Obviously this pitch was TOO bowler friendly, but there's been plent of batsman friendly pitches that have not come underfire.

the trick is to find the right mix.
I agree. I know there are those that say that the pitch in this game wasn't a problem - I disagree with that. I don't think it gave players fair reward for their level of talent (or application), and as I said in the other thread, it made part-time bowlers look like world-beaters, and good batsmen look like amateurs. Given that BOTH captains (and at least one player made a comment about it well before the Aussies were in the hot seat) agreed on this, I think it's reasonable that the pitch be open to criticism.

I also agree that the flat, bat-friendly tracks we've been seeing so many of lately are hurting test cricket (and bowlers, particularly). Somewhere in the middle shouldn't be that hard to achieve.

Western Warrior

School Boy/Girl Captain
marc71178 said:
Taking away 4 bowlers from each side, he is saying that 14 batsman did not apply themselves.

It was a bad pitch, thats all there is to it. Any pitch that allows Michael Clarke to get 6/9 needs to be looked at. :ph34r:

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
tooextracool said:
You'd be talking about the two matches in the North? I think you'd find that neither of those wickets are prepared as well as the Gabba, MCG, Wacca etc due to the fact that they are not regularly used for international cricket. Considering that the last test was at a venue regulary used for first-class cricket you'd probably expect better.

To answer your question, yes I think he would seriously believe most wickets in australia are better. The one I played on this weekend was better, and there won't be any international games there ever.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Slow Love™ said:
I agree. I know there are those that say that the pitch in this game wasn't a problem - I disagree with that. I don't think it gave players fair reward for their level of talent (or application), and as I said in the other thread, it made part-time bowlers look like world-beaters, and good batsmen look like amateurs. Given that BOTH captains (and at least one player made a comment about it well before the Aussies were in the hot seat) agreed on this, I think it's reasonable that the pitch be open to criticism.

I also agree that the flat, bat-friendly tracks we've been seeing so many of lately are hurting test cricket (and bowlers, particularly). Somewhere in the middle shouldn't be that hard to achieve.
I agree, what happened to the ability to produce a wicket that offered a little early to the seamers before turning on days 4 and 5? Haven't seen one of those for quite a while it seems.