• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sachin - Wht could be the reason ?

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
Sachin - A transformation phase ?

There has been a lot talk going on about how he cant handle the pressure, how bowlers have sorted his out and how he is a mentally soft batsmen..etc. Lets analyze his career and wht in my opinion is a transformation phase of his career.

How good is he ?

Obviously very good. Sound techique. Has every shot in the book..and a few improvised strokes to boot. One weakness is that he seems to clean bowled often - something gavaskar has pointed out and Abdur Razaak has taken advantage of.

Pressure:

As a 16 yr kid he stood up to wasim at his peak and waqar at his fastest and qadir and performed. He held his own against every bowler to this day that not a single bowler can claim that he is their bunny. Amazing feat.
In 1992 or 93 when SA needed 4 runs to win ( semis of hero cup) kapil hesitated to take the ball from Azhar...before a young sachin grabbed the ball and bowled india to victory.No warm up nothing ..last over and no fear. This is kOlkata ..wow

There was a talk of how warne would beat him...but reality was very different. Mcgrath,donald, wasim.saqlain,murali,ambrose,walsh - yeah these the bowlers who came second best to sachin.

So obviously he can perform under pressure.

Big match temperament:

During the first 6 yrs of his career he alwys came good under adversity. His knocks in sharjah 98 agaisnt oz showed that he can perform when put under the spotlight.

Transformation:

During his second captaincy period sachin seemed to change a lot. No longer a young charger he seemed to feel the pressure of being the most experienced even though still relatively young. He seemed to lose his impetousity and became more calculating. Despite the fact that now he has a good supporting cast he seems to fail during crunch games.

He has now failed a number of times under important matches and when a lot is under stake it is the Mcgraths and Donalds who come out on top.

I remember only one phase in his career where sachin went thro a rough patch. In 93 in onedays. But he droppedhimslef in the order and came good soon.

Now his recent phase where despite his obvious heavy scoring the intimidation of sachin has gone. Ray price,andy flintoff,giles,hoggard,dillon, pedro collins - the names of his recent tormentors. Men who would have pissed in thier pants when sachin was in full flow.

I feel that this has more to do with sachin realising that he has to bring india more victories and decided that since we didnt win anything when he was aggressive he is now going for the patient approach when he should be more aggressive considering the support cast he has got now..

Sachin has been very cerebral, with and ability to adapt fast, eliminate any chinks in his technique and conquer a bowler if he wags his tail once too often.

But so far Nasser and Fletcher have managed to get the better of a sachin in two minds - attack or defend. I have a gut feeling that he is gonna come good and slaughter england if he decides to do a gavasker - come firing on all cylinders.

And sadly all the talk abt his failures in the finals, pressure from media and ex stars really seem to weigh him down.

Hopefully he will turn it around...cheers

Rich2001

International Captain
The problem is fans expect to much from him, yes he is an super batsman but he can't be expected to go out and hit 100's ever innings, he is only human afterall but one reason could be that he has strugled against the English conditions, but so have all the Indian batsman to some extent.

By the end of the tour I bet he will come good and have at least 1x100 behind him and will have played many more vital roles for India.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I wouldn't worry about Tendulkar, its your bowlers that you need to be concerned about.
John Crawley is NOT an international player and he made your bowlers look pretty ordinary, credit to Crawley anyway on several well fought innings however.

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
Tim...i already wrote abt how the bowling sucks that even hussain and crawley make runs in the topped thread..

The point of this thread is the slow but sure fall in performance and image of sachin.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Anyone consider that maybe he's just getting a little older?

He's approaching 30 and whilst most batsmen hit their prime at 30, some decline. Viv Richards is the perfect example. He is considered one of the best batsmen of all time yet after 30, he scored fewer hundreds and his average dipped. And bear in mind Sachin has been playing Test cricket for a VERY long time so maybe his injuries are starting to get to him. His back has been an issue for years, for example.

Viv Richards:

After turning 30

Average: 43.48
10 hundreds
26 fifties.

Before turning 30

Average: 58.98
14 hundreds
18 fifties.

It sucks but sometimes, even the best falter after 30. Most times it's nothing to do with ability either. As I said, maybe the pain he feels whilst batting is finally getting to Sachin.

[Edited on 7/29/02 by Top_Cat]

Anoop

U19 12th Man
Hopefully I'm wrong

But I just get the feeling that we won't see that old Sachin again. The guy who smashed the OZs in Sharjah.. He seems to be past his peak. Look at his performances lately... and you'll understand.. not his old consistancy.

Eclipse

International Debutant
I reckon if he was to take a year of (I know its not going to happen) he would come back in awsome form.

Hes played sooooo much cricket compaired to most players his age and a brake to refresh himself could really help.

devdas

Cricket Spectator
I came up with a similar post about Sachin performance under pressure on another chat site.

Fact is that his famous knock of 134 against the Aussies was the last one when he really shined in a big match.Ever since then(i.e '98) he has been a disaster in big matches.
When Sachin started his career, he never had such kind of pressure, i.e pressure of expectations from 1 billion + fans, now its a different case.U can see from his body language in the finals that he is tense.This is omething very obvious, Gavaskar,Atherton & Ravi had been pointing out to this.
He averages a mere 15 in the last 10 finals! The burden of expectation is killing him!

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
well....his form has dropped only when compared to HIMSELF.

He is still one of top 10 batsmen in the world. I really think tht it is just that his attempt to reinvent himself hasnt worked the way he wanted and he will soon try alternate attempts like dropping himself down the order or going all out aggresive.

Coz he is one player who uses his brain so much and all this failure might really hurt him and i guess he might come back firing.

T_C: I have a sneaking suspicion that you might be right. btw wheredid you get your stats?

Killing Time

Cricket Spectator
Im no psychologist but i reckon its more of a case with mind than techinque as a reason for Sachin's slowdown. Think he is just taken upon himself to be the talisman of the Indian team. He realises the enormous pressure he is under and that he is expected to to score hunderds every time he trods out to the crease . Hence , i think he's just become a wee bit cautious in his approach. Also he's struggled with a fair few injuries in the past few years and has had some personal setbacks. Think he just needs to relax a wee bit or better take a little break from the sport just to get the hunger back. :undecided:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
T_C: I have a sneaking suspicion that you might be right. btw wheredid you get your stats?
Cricinfo, d00d. Statsguru search followed by a little deduction by yours truly. :)

Im no psychologist but i reckon its more of a case with mind than techinque as a reason for Sachin's slowdown. Think he is just taken upon himself to be the talisman of the Indian team. He realises the enormous pressure he is under and that he is expected to to score hunderds every time he trods out to the crease.

So do tell me then when at any stage of his career this has NOT applied! :D

Seriously, I think you're right and when he wasn younger, he could do it but now, I dunno. I reckon in a team with a batting lineup like Australia's, Sachin would average way more than he does now. People will try to tell you that he falters under pressure. Well under that sort of pressure, I doubt anyone else would still average 57+. Unfortunately it DOES get to you in the end and maybe we're seeing it in Sachin.

Quite frankly, he needs a break. Not just from cricket but fanatical cricket fans in India.

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
There have been a few articles by peter roebuck and daniel laidlaw which seem to indicate that my original thinking was right.
Sachin is in a phase of reinventing himself and is struggling at the moment. Hopefully he will get it right soon..

Coming to sachin i can remember only 4 bowlers making any impact on him.

Donald,mcgrath,warne,price. of these warne was more for hype beofre sachin murdered him.
Ray price seemed to really have him in knots..but i guess it is more that sachin was mentally confused.
Mcgrath and sachin seemed to have a even battle. But after the ind-aus series at home sachin wnet after mcgrath in the ODI's with a point of thrashin him and did it too.
Donald is one bowler who can say that he didnt lose and i guess both him and sachin played out a draw.

On a lesser note Henry olonga once got him out with a nasty snorter which had sachin fending off. In the next match he went after him with a vengeance, same happened with Mcgraht and warne.
He has tried to do the same to Giles whihc though failed.

So itwill be interesting to see what approach he takes against hoggard, flintoff and co..in the next match...

sir middle stump

School Boy/Girl Captain
Fact is that his famous knock of 134 against the Aussies was the last one when he really shined in a big match.Ever since then(i.e '98) he has been a disaster in big matches.
what about the 140 with the bat and 4 wickets with the ball in the same match against the aussies in their match in the first ICC knockout tournament in dhaka? This match came after the sharjah thrashing.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
lol talking about breaks for sachin that is never going to happen

the selectors rely on him heavy , and the selectors knw that the whole of india is going to bombard them if they drop sachin for 10 matches continous,

im not sure he will agree to going for a rest either because who knws he might get worser if he comes back ,

he just needs to see what mistakes he does each time and he needs to ease the pressure for that i think india need to bat first , im not too sure , but if he has a partner like sehwag , who scores runs freely and easily sachins mind is taken off pressure and he goes with the flow to , if sachin sees ganguly and dravid and all falling down like a pair of 9 pins hes eventually going to go down soon too

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
I think sachin struggles if he doesnt dominate. Which is what england is preying upon..

But i have to give a lot of credit here to fletcher, hussain and the disciplines pommy attack..

But god knows what happens to their minds when they play the ashes..lol

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
That century and the recent statement from sachin,askin critics to lay off..and his past record make me think that he is really goin to make england pay.

Boy i really hope so..tis abt time :)

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
Another old thread...i guess my initial hunch was right. We still havent seen the old sachin...but his performance has not left much to worry abt.

Interestingly all the articles that popped all the over the net abt sachin faltering havent been followed up by apologies.

All the "quality old players" who found so many faults with his tech dont seem to come and explain what he did right now...yeah thts right..they just used it to see thier name in the media.

Now suddenly it is praise for sachin by all and sundry and the all the focus is on his 100th test.

WHen they should be thinkin of india possible winning its first away series after a blue moon. I hope the media shows atleast a little bit of sanity :(!