• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sachin - Wht could be the reason ?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hundredth tests are special, and special players often bring out that little bit extra. It's just something about three figures.

I well remember Geoff Boycott, becalmed on 99 first-class centuries. Fourth test, Headingley, Aussies, 1977, stage was set.

191 runs later, the pints of John Smiths were flowing like water.

A few years later, in his 100th test (same opponents), he got to 60 or so. Everyone was expecting the magical ton, but it wasn't to be. Get well soon, Geoff.

If Sachin does something special, I'll be the first one down the off-licence for a few bottles of Kingfisher lager.

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
100th test is special. But more important is india winning. You should see the hype in indian magazinesand websites. 75% is sachin this sachin that. Yeah he has earned it ...but it is going overboard.

Just a fortnight ago all those morons slammed him saying he cant play pace or spin he is mentally fragile, he has lost it ...blah blah blah..

now it is a about turn..makes me sick. Sachin still has his true fans who alwys celebrate when he does well..and support him when doesnt do well. But these tabloids and fair weather fans drive everyone away.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sachin has universal appeal.

The fact that fairweather supporters are inclined to jump on the bandwagon is a fact of life - witness Man Utd in football.

Sometimes in order to get a true opinion of the value of the player, you ought to ask the opposition (or the opposition fans) one simple question - "would you have him in your side on current form?".

The answer, I feel, would be an unconditional YES.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Especially if he can have Agarkar bowling at him
Don't let that reach Sachin's ears. He might not be able to resist moving to England. :D

[Edited on 9/6/02 by anilramavarma]

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
100th test is special. But more important is india winning. You should see the hype in indian magazinesand websites. 75% is sachin this sachin that. Yeah he has earned it ...but it is going overboard.
Yes I tend to agree that the Indian media is taking it too far....100th test is great but Indian team performance and victory is what should be the main focus.He is a great player and all his real fans have stood through thick and thin, but these newspapers are the real culprits when it comes to carrying scathing criticisms and over the board adulations as the wind changes.

They would portray as if Sachin was a schoolboy cricketer one day and then the next day you would see as if he was eons ahead of the Don.This is ridiculous.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes I tend to agree that the Indian media is taking it too far....100th test is great but Indian team performance and victory is what should be the main focus.He is a great player and all his real fans have stood through thick and thin, but these newspapers are the real culprits when it comes to carrying scathing criticisms and over the board adulations as the wind changes.

They would portray as if Sachin was a schoolboy cricketer one day and then the next day you would see as if he was eons ahead of the Don.This is ridiculous.
God forbid, but after all this hype and attention, if he fails in this test, the same people will come down on him like a ton of bricks. Let's just hope he doesn't read all the reports and is concentrating single-mindedly on his cricket.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hello, he averages around 58 at Test level. I think he figured out a long time ago how to block that stuff out. :D

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
I do know that the guy is mentally pretty strong, but this stupid hype stuff is going through the roof and after all, Sachin is only human. I read a recent interview with Sachin where he admits that he feels bad when the media and people trash him, but he says he sets his own goals and tries to focus on achieving them. The pressure of expectations of say, a 100 million people can weigh down the strongest minded person, you know. i just hope it doesn't happen.

R_Powell_fan

U19 Captain
IMO people have to realise that Sachin Tendulkar is a mere human first and foremost, the minute they acknowledge that all this crap going on in the media because of a couple of low scores will stop.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
His average was 57.99, and he only scored 54 this test! He's failed!

:rolleyes: I wonder how much of that we'll get over the next few days..