Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dinesh Karthik

Dinesh Karthik

I didn't see much of this test match. All I saw of Dinesh Karthink was when he got bowled for 10 in the first innings. But how was his wicket keeping in this match? Is he better than patel? Do you guys think he will replace patel?

it's hard to say from one test match, especially hard to tell on such a hard pitch to keep on. gilchrist missed a few as well, and quiet frankly, india are very lucky patel didnt keep

Karthik didnt' glove everything cleanly, but one thing i did notice, was that he managed to get something behind the ball almost every time... in doing so, the ball usually went up in the air around the slip cordon, and they even got a catch off one of his deflections. he also got a stumping (clarke), and seemed to me, to be a much better keepr than patel. He seems a natural keeper, wheras, to me, parthiv patel is not a natural keeper. obviously though, my judgements must be wrong, due to the fact that the indian selectors who are experts seem to think otherwise.

karthik dint make many runs either, but he did show some talent with the bat..played some nice shots looked solid in defence etc etc. a very tough pitch to make your debut on as a batsman (gambhir) as well as a keeper. both should be given at least another chance, and karthik shld get an extended run in the team.

however, ganguly loves patel, and i wldnt be surprisd if karthik gets axed soon. expect to see murali karthik back in the indian domestic comp as well, as ganguly severley underbowls him and uses him terribly.

one critisicm about ganguly's captaincy is that he takes sides with his favourite players, and it severely effects the other players

one example is chopra. ganguly's antics in publicly announcing he wants yuvraj as opener rather than chopra, can't have helped chopra's confidence. karthik's bowling severely suffers when ganguls is captain, as opposed to both sachin and dravid (cricinfo article a few days ago proves this)

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deeps
    karthik's bowling severely suffers when ganguls is captain, as opposed to both sachin and dravid (cricinfo article a few days ago proves this)
    It proved nothing! The sample was far, far too small for it to be taken as anything like proof.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

however, ganguly loves patel, and i wldnt be surprisd if karthik gets axed soon. expect to see murali karthik back in the indian domestic comp as well, as ganguly severley underbowls him and uses him terribly.

one critisicm about ganguly's captaincy is that he takes sides with his favourite players, and it severely effects the other players

one example is chopra. ganguly's antics in publicly announcing he wants yuvraj as opener rather than chopra, can't have helped chopra's confidence. karthik's bowling severely suffers when ganguls is captain, as opposed to both sachin and dravid (cricinfo article a few days ago proves this)
    No Bias there

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    expect to see murali karthik back in the indian domestic comp as well, as ganguly severley underbowls him and uses him terribly.
    Or would him being dropped be more to do with the fact he's not as good as Harbhajan or Kumble?
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

U19 Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    Or would him being dropped be more to do with the fact he's not as good as Harbhajan or Kumble?
    give him some time hes only just started out
    Best batsman = Rahul Dravid
    Best bowler = Muttiah Muralitharan

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Yes, but when there's better bowlers around, that will be the reason for him being dropped, not some supposed bias against him from the captain.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Dinesh Karthik looks a very organized young man. I was quite impressed with his 'keeping as he seemed very quick and thoughtful behind the stumps whilst doing the technical things correct. I didn't see all of his batting, but the little that I did see indicated some potential. If he can add 20-25 runs per innings to the Indian total and continues to 'keep well, they can certainly afford to pick him at 7.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

The...er...Twitter[/SIZE][/CENTER]

International Captain masterblaster's Avatar
    Netblazer3D Champion!
    Dinesh Karthik >>>>> Parthiv Patel

In wicketkeeping ability alone.

Geoff Lawson summed it up perfectly when he said that Dinesh Karthik was a genuine part of this win and that had Patel being playing, India would've lost this match.

I echo Liam's comments above, I think he is the best young technical gloveman in India at the moment. He's got a lot of potential at only 19.
    Self Elected Vice-President of AAAS
    (Ajit Agarkar Appreciation Society)

"Uniting Ajit Agarkar Fans World Wide"

Always Live Life With: Intensity, Integrity and Intelligence

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    i thought he kept really well on the pitch, missed a few but with that sort of bowling thats gonna happen, his batting didn't last long enough to tell. on a better pitch he might get a few more
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup
    It proved nothing! The sample was far, far too small for it to be taken as anything like proof.
    well, i've watched most of india's matches (whole family are indian supporters), and let me tell you, that when ganguly is captain, karthik is bowled at the wrong times, doesn't finish his quota of 10 overs in a odi, and bowls very few overs in tests etc etc. we've all known this BEFORE the cricinfo article. the article merely confirmed our doubts.

So you've seen all the other Tests Dravid has captained Kartik? Oh wait...

i dint say i've seen ALL, i said i've seen most. dravid has captained the side with karthik in the team quiet a few times.

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    neither karthik or patel are upto standard, the onlty reason that either of them has been given a chace is taht there is simply nobody better, neither of them would get into any other test team in the world asides bangladesh and maybe zimbabwe and the west indies. and of course maybe pakistan but they are a poor side so we will discount them :P

it is obvious that they would not get into , any other test side in the world as a keeper or batsman

i dint say i've seen ALL, i said i've seen most. dravid has captained the side with karthik in the team quiet a few times.
    Right...

Dravid has captained India in 5 Tests.

v NZ - Kartik did not play
    v Pak - Kartik did not play
    v Pak - Kartik did not play
    v Aus - Kartik played and bowled 46 overs
    v Aus - Kartik played and bowled 27.3 overs

Kartik has played just 2 Tests under Rahul Dravids captaincy and bowled 73.3 overs.

In his Tests under Tendulkar...

v SA - 37 overs
    v SA - 50 overs

Under Ganguly...

v Ban - 25.3 overs (24 in the 1st innings)
    v Zim - 35 overs (24 in the 1st innings)
    v Aus - 45 overs (211 runs taken off him)

That's 105.3 overs in 3 Tests, with 67 of them in the 1st innings.

Simply put there's really nothing that you should be able to suggest that Dravid bowls Kartik more seeing as Dravid has captained him in 2 Tests and Ganguly in 3, especially considering that one of Dravid's Test was on a ripper.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information