• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dinesh Karthik

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Sudeep said:
BBC Cricket spells the same way as Cricinfo... So did Ten Sports...
Hmmm. Bad slip by the 150 year old premier English daily of India.

V Reddy

International Debutant
SJS said:
Hmmm. Bad slip by the 150 year old premier English daily of India.
No his name indeed is Kaarthick and not Karthik. I had read few months back in a tamil daily that he added 'a' to his name as artrologists or someone suggested it would bring him luck :D . Will try to find that article

Edit - found diff one . Hmm he chaged it for numerology

http://web.mid-day.com/sports/national/2004/march/79650.htm

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Sudeep said:
Cricinfo don't seem to think so.
http://ind.cricinfo.com/db/PLAYERS/IND/K/KARTHIK_KKD_06008813/

I know where it's coming from though. The Times spelt it that way, didn't they?

Nope, as V. Reddy said, he had changed the way he spelt his name, for numerological reasons. He said it might bring him better luck and I dare say it has. Another interesting co-incidence is that Dinesh Kaarthick has not played in a losing Indian team as yet. And a couple of those matches were ones that many never thought India could win.

deeps

International 12th Man
honestbharani said:
Another interesting co-incidence is that Dinesh Kaarthick has not played in a losing Indian team as yet. And a couple of those matches were ones that many never thought India could win.
that's exactly how gilly started his career i believe...won his first 15 odd tests! but i do think he lost some odi's on the way, not sure

Sudeep

International Captain
deeps said:
that's exactly how gilly started his career i believe...won his first 15 odd tests! but i do think he lost some odi's on the way, not sure
Australia lost Gilchrist's first three ODIs.

deeps

International 12th Man
just read the most wins ever is 10 tests, and that's by brett lee.....i was pretty sure gilly won his first 14 or 15 odd testS!

Sudeep

International Captain
deeps said:
just read the most wins ever is 10 tests, and that's by brett lee.....i was pretty sure gilly won his first 14 or 15 odd testS!
Australia did win Gilly's first 15 tests...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
honestbharani said:
Another interesting co-incidence is that Dinesh Kaarthick has not played in a losing Indian team as yet. And a couple of those matches were ones that many never thought India could win.
He's only played 3 games - the Test I don't think India were expected to win, but nobody in their right mind would've said they ever thought India could win that game when you take into account the conditions.

He's also played 2 ODIs - one against England and one against Kenya - neither of those games are one's of which you could say you'd never think they could win.

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
Sudeep said:
Australia did win Gilly's first 15 tests...
The most noticeable thing is that they lost Gilly's 16th Test, where he made a king pair, and they lost his 17th Test, where he made 1 and 1.

That just goes to show how valuable a player he is.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
marc71178 said:
He's only played 3 games - the Test I don't think India were expected to win, but nobody in their right mind would've said they ever thought India could win that game when you take into account the conditions.

He's also played 2 ODIs - one against England and one against Kenya - neither of those games are one's of which you could say you'd never think they could win.

I did not say that India were not expected to win those matches before the match started. But the position that India found themselves in both that ODI against England and at Mumbai, not many would have given India a chance. And coming back to the point about the Mumbai pitch, sure, it was not a good wicket, but that should not hide the fact that the Aussie top order played poor shots to get out. That is why they lost, not because of the pitch. Ricky Ponting and Mark Waugh have shown us forever that they like to make excuses. I think Ian Healy's comments carry more weight. He said that however bad the wicket maybe, the best batting line up in the world is expected to score more than 107 and it was entirely their own fault that they could not do it. Plus some credit to the Indian bowlers for keeping it tight and inducing them to those strokes.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
honestbharani said:
I did not say that India were not expected to win those matches before the match started. But the position that India found themselves in both that ODI against England and at Mumbai, not many would have given India a chance. And coming back to the point about the Mumbai pitch, sure, it was not a good wicket, but that should not hide the fact that the Aussie top order played poor shots to get out. That is why they lost, not because of the pitch. Ricky Ponting and Mark Waugh have shown us forever that they like to make excuses. I think Ian Healy's comments carry more weight. He said that however bad the wicket maybe, the best batting line up in the world is expected to score more than 107 and it was entirely their own fault that they could not do it. Plus some credit to the Indian bowlers for keeping it tight and inducing them to those strokes.
Absolutely correct.

There is no denying that Australia were BY FAR the better side in the series and India were throughly outplayed in the matches they lost and never looked anywhere near a side that could claim to be the second best in the world.

Having said that, Australia still showed terrible attitude and skills in tackling a turning wicket. They could have won the fourth test if they hadn't convinced themselves that it was impossible to bat on it !

This is no test wicket for the first day or even the second day of a test, but you will get this sort of a wicket sometimes during a match (for the fourth innings surely) and you need to have some idea how to handle it !

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I am surprised how restrained the admiration for Kaarthicks keeping has been in this test. He was quite fantastic on a very difficult wicket.

Here are the views on his performance by someone who should know a bit about keeping.

No one could overlook the super cool performance of Dinesh Karthick.... To wicket-keep so crisply in such tough conditions to the hardest of spinners was spectacular by Karthick.

It was sparkling and fresh to see some levity behind the stumps and he realy wanted every ball. He had his helmeted head and eyes over every thing even the bals that were ful and down leg side in the rough. Tremendous peformance, which disguised the fact that it was his first.

High praise indeed. Even more so when it comes from one of the greatest wicket keepers of modern times..Ian Healy writing in the Hindu this morning !

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
SJS said:
I am surprised how restrained the admiration for Kaarthicks keeping has been in this test. He was quite fantastic on a very difficult wicket.

Here are the views on his performance by someone who should know a bit about keeping.

No one could overlook the super cool performance of Dinesh Karthick.... To wicket-keep so crisply in such tough conditions to the hardest of spinners was spectacular by Karthick.

It was sparkling and fresh to see some levity behind the stumps and he realy wanted every ball. He had his helmeted head and eyes over every thing even the bals that were ful and down leg side in the rough. Tremendous peformance, which disguised the fact that it was his first.

High praise indeed. Even more so when it comes from one of the greatest wicket keepers of modern times..Ian Healy writing in the Hindu this morning !
I agree completely. It was a terrific performance for any wicketkeeper, let alone one on debut. This kid should be in the team for a long while.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
SJS said:

I think it is the effect of what happened to the last young keeper, who was praised so much. Having said that, I am one of those who believes that he has a very, very bright future ahead of him, if he can put his head down and keep doing the hard work required.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jnr. said:
The most noticeable thing is that they lost Gilly's 16th Test, where he made a king pair, and they lost his 17th Test, where he made 1 and 1.

That just goes to show how valuable a player he is.
I wouldn't say that his lack of performance didn't contribute to the loss, but no player can win a Test match on his own and in the same way no player can lose it.