• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in Australia Thread

Craig

World Traveller
Tour begins in less then seven days time, so I felt I will get the ball rolling with this thread.

I can't work out why New Zealand are playing a tour match v NSW at Sydney when we don't even play a Test there, would have been more logical to play against Queensland at the 'Gabba where NZ play the first Test.

If Fleming wins the toss, please what ever he does unless it is a raging green top, do not bowl first against Australia. It never works, or at least it hasn't so in the last three or four seasons when the opposition bowl first to Australia and is just giving them the advantage. Be positive and bat first.

I also think Mark Richardson needs to be a bit more proactive with the bat and looking for more singles to keep the scoreboard ticking over and not build up pressure on himself and his team.

Should be exciting, and I should be going up for at least one day or two at least.

shaka

International Regular
WArne would be crucial for Australia, a huge blow for them, NZ have a small sigh of relief, but imo MacGill will be their main spinner.

shaka

International Regular
IF they dont, then the idea of not playing MacGill in the series would be based on his refusal to go to Zimbabwe, so far it is holding true though.

Craig

World Traveller
Richardson
Sinclair
*Fleming
Styris
Astle
H.Marshall
McCullum
Oram
vettori
Franklin
Butler/C.Martin

Or;

Richardson
Sinclair
*Fleming
Styris
Astle
Oram
McCullum
Vettori
Franklin
Butler
C.Martin

Which one is the best line-up? The first XI is stronger batting wise, but only gives four bowlers plus the part-time stuff of Styris, but my second line-up is probably more balanced with more bowling options, but does Oram at 6 give a longer tail?

Craig

World Traveller
Gareth Hopkins picked as wicket keeper for the tour game v NSW to give Brendon McCullum the game off.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Craig said:
Tour begins in less then seven days time, so I felt I will get the ball rolling with this thread.

I can't work out why New Zealand are playing a tour match v NSW at Sydney when we don't even play a Test there, would have been more logical to play against Queensland at the 'Gabba where NZ play the first Test.

If Fleming wins the toss, please what ever he does unless it is a raging green top, do not bowl first against Australia. It never works, or at least it hasn't so in the last three or four seasons when the opposition bowl first to Australia and is just giving them the advantage. Be positive and bat first.

I also think Mark Richardson needs to be a bit more proactive with the bat and looking for more singles to keep the scoreboard ticking over and not build up pressure on himself and his team.

Should be exciting, and I should be going up for at least one day or two at least.
I think it has something to do with Queensland being involved in a Pura Cup game next week.

It has always been the case anyway. I can only remember when Queensland used to play the touring teams, it was always the team that didn't play in Brisbane. We played India when Pakistan played up here. The only occasions I can think of in recent times is against New Zealand last time they were here. Of course that includes two team tours, we usually play the one team tours in a lead up game.

Andre

International Regular
IMO, New Zealand need 5 bowlers to counter the Australians in Australia. Of those, I think Butler is a must pick as he offers the most peneration of the quicks and should find these conditions helpful. Oram and Vettori will play, quite possibly the same with Franklin, so it is down to Wiseman and Mills for the final place - and for some reason I quite like the idea of Mills playing in Brisbane where he might hit the seam nicely. Richardson looms as the great strength with the bat, while Astle is a quality player and my gut tells me that Hamish Marshall will do very well - he looks a very composed and well organised cricketer, the kind that succeeds in Australian conditions.

Lehmann may squeeze back into the Australian side, while MacGill would be a certainty for the 12 I'd imagine - the possibility of playing Lee for a spinner will tempt the selectors should a green top emerge. I dare say the Australians will not take the Black Caps lightly this time - they seem too focused of late to take their foot of the pedal, especially after their wake-up call at home last summer against the Indians.

shaka

International Regular
I would agree with that Bryce, we have to give him a chance to perform in Australia against the worlds best.

tooextracool

International Coach
Mister Wright said:
He couldn't score any runs.
perhaps so, but on his previous recall he only played one game, which was against SA in the final test and he scored a 75 odd. after that he was dropped. if you select a player and then drop him when he succeeds, then what was the point of selecting him ITFP?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
just wondering, why was sinclair dropped in the first place?
Because aside from his three big scores - 150, 214 and 204*- he averages 22.

tooextracool

International Coach
Voltman said:
Because aside from his three big scores - 150, 214 and 204*- he averages 22.
yes i know, but if the NZ selectors picked him again, it obviously suggests that there was fresh hope, that they had let by gones be by gones and that they were hoping he would succeed. yet when he did, and lets not forget that he was the top scorer in the side in that match against SA, they dropped him, where is the sense in that?
the way i see it is that, if you've picked him then you cant drop him until he fails.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
yes i know, but if the NZ selectors picked him again, it obviously suggests that there was fresh hope, that they had let by gones be by gones and that they were hoping he would succeed. yet when he did, and lets not forget that he was the top scorer in the side in that match against SA, they dropped him, where is the sense in that?
the way i see it is that, if you've picked him then you cant drop him until he fails.
He lacks footwork, which the selectors had concerns about, particularly on seaming English wickets.

I think if he is on form, he is an option for a middle order. I think he is going to get slaughtered if he opens against the Aussies.

Sorry, half-read your first post.

tooextracool

International Coach
Voltman said:
He lacks footwork, which the selectors had concerns about, particularly on seaming English wickets.

I think if he is on form, he is an option for a middle order. I think he is going to get slaughtered if he opens against the Aussies.

Sorry, half-read your first post.
agreed, he doesnt have the best of footwork and a weakness against spin.
personally, i think papps is a decent player, too bad hes injured.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
agreed, he doesnt have the best of footwork and a weakness against spin.
personally, i think papps is a decent player, too bad hes injured.
Yeah, Papps is a long term option for sure.

Mark Richardson gave an interview to a national sports magazine last month, and he believes the most important thing for an opener is actually sticking with it and wanting to do it.

The other key point he made is that the NZ academy doesn't seem to be promoting crease-occupying as a quality to be admired - plenty of strokemakers coming out of the academy system, but no-one who wants to hang around all day and be 'unfashionable' like him. He believes that is a failing of the academy, and I am inclined to agree.

Mingster

State Regular
Andre said:
IMO, New Zealand need 5 bowlers to counter the Australians in Australia. Of those, I think Butler is a must pick as he offers the most peneration of the quicks and should find these conditions helpful.
Penetration? What exactly do you see in Butler as a "penetrative" bowler? His pace is overrated, he's only mostly around high 130s, and bowls with a scrambled seam. Bowls too short.

Andre

International Regular
bryce said:
chris martin should be picked over both of those two.
IMO, bowlers like Martin and Tuffey will prove cannon fodder against the Australians.