• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fattest, Laziest, Unfit Cricketer

Shounak

Banned
Who's the fattest, laziest, unfit cricketer. Three examples immiediately spring into my mind. Inzi, Ranatunga n Warnie.

Any others?

Shounak

Banned
Merv Hughes n Boonie...

Don't think many cricketers have a staple diet of Fosters, Benson + Hedges n Chops anymore.

Ahh well

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Gotta make a nomination for Eddie "The Whale" Hemmings, his nickname says it all!

Of current England players Rob Key looks a relative stranger to the gym. Freddie seems to have it under control @ the moment, but the potential for some good guttage remains!

Sehwag309

Banned
shounak said:
Aaloo i think his real name is.

The Inzi Incident

Another great man. Can't wait til he comes over here at the end of the year. I know what I'm gonna be yelling if he's ever fielding in the deep.
I met that guy once, didn't have a chance to talk much as it was in a crowdy bar.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
Gotta make a nomination for Eddie "The Whale" Hemmings, his nickname says it all!

Of current England players Rob Key looks a relative stranger to the gym. Freddie seems to have it under control @ the moment, but the potential for some good guttage remains!
We've had one or two over the years. Remember Ormond & Afzaal getting in trouble with Fletcher a couple of years ago? Tresco isn't exactly slimline. Botham was carrying a fair bit for a while, IIRC.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
wpdavid said:
We've had one or two over the years. Remember Ormond & Afzaal getting in trouble with Fletcher a couple of years ago? Tresco isn't exactly slimline. Botham was carrying a fair bit for a while, IIRC.
Now you mention it I do recall seeing a pic of Jimmy Ormond bowling in the nets (last Ashes tour?) with his top off sporting what could only be called a pair of moobs! Eeeuuw! :D

Western Warrior

School Boy/Girl Captain

Fat - possibly
Lazy - maybe
unfit - certainly

but he still took 212 wickets @ 28.38 and spent the last two years of his test career bowling with a knee so badly degraded we mere mortals probably couldn't even have walked with the same injury.

Love the Mambo shirt underneath his test uniform :D

Slow Love™

International Captain
Mister Wright said:
What do you reckon is on his shirt under his cricket shirt? It looks a bit like a VB shirt.
I think (as Western Warrior guessed) it's a late 80's/early 90's Mambo shirt - classic gear at the time. Some of the designs were done by Reg Mombassa, the Mental as Anything guitarist, IIRC.

My nominee: Ranatunga. Eddie Hemmings was a good call though. Now, there just doesn't seem as much room for it - even Inzi looks slimmer than he used to.

Warnie surely wouldn't fit into this category anymore.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Arjuna's Fatwalk on a pitch would beat Naomi Cambel's Catwalk on a ramp anyday. :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Hmm.
Fattest, laziest and unfittest ??
Does it have to be the same guy with all three attributes ?

Colin Milburn is the fattest I saw but he was neither lazy nor unfit :huh:

On the other hand, we have a reasonably trim Indian skipper who could challenge many for the second crown :p

And a couple of left arm seamers who two arent fat but are a cinch (except for a tie between them) for the third :p

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
SJS said:
Hmm.
Fattest, laziest and unfittest ??
Does it have to be the same guy with all three attributes ?

Colin Milburn is the fattest I saw but he was neither lazy nor unfit :huh:

On the other hand, we have a reasonably trim Indian skipper who could challenge many for the second crown :p

And a couple of left arm seamers who two arent fat but are a cinch (except for a tie between them) for the third :p
I'm not sure about these days, but in olden times Merv Hughes, Greg Ritchie and Arjuna Ranatunga come to mind. Arjuna being the leading light.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
For those who remember a little bit of English domestic cricket there is Ian Austin (think his first name was Ian, can't be bothered to check). He played a lot of one-day cricket especially, for Lancashire, he didn't appear to be particularly unfit just that he was a weird shape for a bowler. I think he worked in the winter carrying meat carcasses around or something like that.

http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/PLAYERS/ENG/A/AUSTIN_ID_01004204/

The pictures are frightening, shame he only bowled medium-fast really.

Last edited: