• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Australian Selectors

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No Queenslander has any right to complain when you look at the non-selection of someone like Lehmann throughout the 90's when you look at the vastly inferior players who were selected ahead of him. And let's no forget the treatment of Blewett during his Test career (although admittedly, he didn't take the opportunities he got late in his career but I believe he was asked to play a role he wasn't suited to). The continued non-selection of Jamie Siddons in the early 90's was a tad unfair too. You guys on the eastern seaboard have had it easy.

Craig

World Traveller
But then couldn't you say Corey that simply theere weren't the spots available for them all to get a go? It happens in every country.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Of course. But there have been plenty of line-ball selections of players where, when a choice of similar players has to be made, the NSW player has gotten the spot and personally, I think it's more than mere co-incidence.

And surely, when he was at his peak, any Test side in the world would have been able to find a place for Lehmann. He was regularly breaking 1000+ runs in Australian summers for many years and there were several times when Mark Waugh was struggling for runs that he could have been given a spell or Lehmann could have slotted in at no. 6, etc.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Top_Cat said:
Of course. But there have been plenty of line-ball selections of players where, when a choice of similar players has to be made, the NSW player has gotten the spot and personally, I think it's more than mere co-incidence.

And surely, when he was at his peak, any Test side in the world would have been able to find a place for Lehmann. He was regularly breaking 1000+ runs in Australian summers for many years and there were several times when Mark Waugh was struggling for runs that he could have been given a spell or Lehmann could have slotted in at no. 6, etc.

Yes, I agree.

Haha, could you imagine the uproar from N.S.W. if Mark Waugh had of been dropped in the mid 90s?

Son Of Coco

Top_Cat said:
No Queenslander has any right to complain when you look at the non-selection of someone like Lehmann throughout the 90's when you look at the vastly inferior players who were selected ahead of him. And let's no forget the treatment of Blewett during his Test career (although admittedly, he didn't take the opportunities he got late in his career but I believe he was asked to play a role he wasn't suited to). The continued non-selection of Jamie Siddons in the early 90's was a tad unfair too. You guys on the eastern seaboard have had it easy.
It's always the same complaint though. Favouritism, followed by three or so players from the person's home state who could be considered to be unlucky to be there. The list of players who are unfortunate to miss out is longer than the list who have made it into the team, it's going to happen, and it's bad luck.

Mister Wright

Son Of Coco said:
It's always the same complaint though. Favouritism, followed by three or so players from the person's home state who could be considered to be unlucky to be there. The list of players who are unfortunate to miss out is longer than the list who have made it into the team, it's going to happen, and it's bad luck.

That doesn't mean:

a) we can't complaign about it.
b) bring up conspiracy theories.

Son Of Coco

Mister Wright said:
That doesn't mean:

a) we can't complaign about it.
b) bring up conspiracy theories.
Fair enough then, but if they're going to be conspiracy theories surely they can be embellished somewhat.......bring on the abductions and aliens.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
Son Of Coco said:
Fair enough then, but if they're going to be conspiracy theories surely they can be embellished somewhat.......bring on the abductions and aliens.
and the anal probes :p :p

howardj

International Coach
Am begging them - no more left-field Victorian selections. God bless Victoria, but there some absolute tragics coming out of there the last few years. I give you:

White
Lewis
McGain
Rogers (just included him to make my list long)
Wayne Phillips
and now Stickers Harwood.

Enough already.

I blame Merv.

andyc

TBF, as much slack as the selectors cop, they've made some decent selections recently - picking sicking and sticking with him, giving Hughes a game, North didn't turn out too badly, and even McDonald did pretty well.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Am begging them - no more left-field Victorian selections. God bless Victoria, but there some absolute tragics coming out of there the last few years. I give you:

White
Lewis
McGain
Rogers (just included him to make my list long)
Wayne Phillips
and now Stickers Harwood.

Enough already.

I blame Merv.
You're right, Siddle's been a total failure so far...

I also refuse to judge Cam White until he's been picked properly.