• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Australian Selectors

Warne is god

U19 12th Man
Are the most biased, most useless selectors in the world. How on earth Nathan Hauritz got picked ahead of Cameron White is absolutely beyond me. Oh, wait, I remember why now. Cam White comes from VICTORIA. They wouldn't DARE pick a Victorian other than Warnie would they.

Warne is god

U19 12th Man
Explain this to me:

Season 2003/04
Bowling
Cameron White: 35 wickets at 37.80
Nathan Hauritz: 16 wickets at 63.93
Batting
Cameron White: 522 runs at 40.15
Nathan Hauritz: 196 runs at 28.00

Now, from those statistics can u tell me which had the better season?

Warne is god

U19 12th Man
age_master said:
maybe they think that Hauritz wont go for as many runs, 3/16 isn't too bad a start though
Oh and we all know Kumble, Harbahjan and Kartik are all world class batsman don't we.

bryce

International Regular
i think it was more or less judged on how they were bowling in the nets in india, apparently cameron white was shocking.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
apparently the selectors and punter who are there think otherwise. White might well have taken a few wickets, but he would have gone for alot more runs per over. in some ways im surprised they bothered with either of them and didn't play 4 quicks and have a few overs from Katich and/or clarke to fill the gaps, but the quicks are bowling so well at the moment we dont really need a spinner.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Warne is god said:
Explain this to me:

Season 2003/04
Bowling
Cameron White: 35 wickets at 37.80
Nathan Hauritz: 16 wickets at 63.93
Batting
Cameron White: 522 runs at 40.15
Nathan Hauritz: 196 runs at 28.00

Now, from those statistics can u tell me which had the better season?
I can't disagree with you there, I thought White deserved selection ahead of Hauritz, the only thing I can think of is that he was bowling better on tour. Apparently he has had a lot of coaching on his action, and is getting the ball to flight more, and using his wrist better to get more turn. I didn't see him bowl today, but they said he bowled very well on the radio.

Warne is god

U19 12th Man
Mister Wright said:
I can't disagree with you there, I thought White deserved selection ahead of Hauritz, the only thing I can think of is that he was bowling better on tour. Apparently he has had a lot of coaching on his action, and is getting the ball to flight more, and using his wrist better to get more turn. I didn't see him bowl today, but they said he bowled very well on the radio.
I don't wanna argue with you, just so you know. But Adam Gilchrist could've spun it on that pitch.

No surprise Hauritz got special treatment, he's from the selectors 2nd favourite state.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
bryce said:
i think it was more or less judged on how they were bowling in the nets in india.
That would be the logical conclusion, but some people don't like to use logic clearly.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
bryce said:
i think it was more or less judged on how they were bowling in the nets in india, apparently cameron white was shocking.
Going on the performances so far they have got it right.

Andre

International Regular
Perhaps the worst thread ever dedicated to Australian cricket in the history of this forum. White is bloody lucky to be in the country - had Warne not been injured, he was on the plane home, so IMO it's pretty clear that Hauritz was ahead in the pecking order...

Oh, and btw, I think they are both rubbish and shouldn't be in the squad when we have MacGill and Hogg taking wickets in the Pura Cup at home.

Craig

World Traveller
Bring on Stuart MacGill against New Zealand.

I'm sure many selectors from other countries wouldn't mind being as useless as Australia's since they win all the time.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Andre said:
Oh, and btw, I think they are both rubbish and shouldn't be in the squad when we have MacGill and Hogg taking wickets in the Pura Cup at home.
Absolutely spot on. There is no justification in leaving those two guys out.

Son Of Coco

Warne is god said:
Are the most biased, most useless selectors in the world. How on earth Nathan Hauritz got picked ahead of Cameron White is absolutely beyond me. Oh, wait, I remember why now. Cam White comes from VICTORIA. They wouldn't DARE pick a Victorian other than Warnie would they.
Not another one of these posts. Continuous talk about bias one way or another is getting ridiculous! We can all spit the dummy when a player from our state doesn't get picked, but after a while it gets a bit tiresome....

For the most useless selectors in the world, our team is going pretty well...in a fortnight cue the complaints from the QLD sector when Hauritz gets dropped for the next test in Brisbane.

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
Apparently White was bowling mainly half trackers in the nets and didn't come close to selection.

It will be funny if Hauritz only plays one test in his career and has an average of less than 10.

MacGill will have to come back for the test against NZ if required.

Mister Wright

Son Of Coco said:
Not another one of these posts. Continuous talk about bias one way or another is getting ridiculous! We can all spit the dummy when a player from our state doesn't get picked, but after a while it gets a bit tiresome....

For the most useless selectors in the world, our team is going pretty well...in a fortnight cue the complaints from the QLD sector when Hauritz gets dropped for the next test in Brisbane.
That isn't going to happen from me. I don't know where people get this idea that I am biased towards Queensland selections. I mean yes, I get bitter when (and please take not of my next phrase in bold) quality, consistent Qld performers get overlooked by other not so consisent players get selected ahead of them. I am by no means advocating that there should be 11 Qlders playing for the national team, that is just ridiculous because there are not 11 test quality players in the first 11 for Qld. For God sake, I can see the value of Gillespie, Langer, Martyn, McGrath and Gilchrist being in the side. But when these quality players get overlooked for other inexperienced or less qualified players continually it starts to get a bit tiresome.

I am not going to be like Age and praise the credentials of every player from my state playing 1st to 6th grade cricket. For God sake, Perren, Hopes, Nye and Noffke really don't have a place in a first class team, they are just lucky they have performed well and the opposition hasn't been that strong, they will soon get found out (although Hopes looks like he has improved a fair bit this season).

I am not going to suggest that Hauritz should stay in the side ahead of Warne of MacGill. He is not the best or 2nd best spinner in the country and is lucky Warne didn't break his finger two days earlier, because I can assure yout the Australian selectors would have been contacting Richard Branson to get one of those really fast planes (I think they're concords) to fly MacGill over. All I hope for is that Hauritz bowls extremely well in the second innings to keep his name on the selection table, of both the Australian and the Queensland selectors and that it will give him confidence for the rest of the season.