• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest Fast Bowler Ever

a massive zebra

International Captain
shounak said:
Who do you people think the greatest fast bowler of all time is?

I'll get the ball rolling. In terms of having it all together, definitely Dennis Lillee. The guy's got a miniscule one day economy and an awesome bowling average, not to mention the mental side of things. His inimitable aggression is something that these current bunch of medium pacers can only dream of. Who can forget the Javed Miandad incident. Let's just hope another Lillee or Warwick Todd is produced. The current bunch of cricketers live in fear of match fee's and are always on their best behaviour. Cricket's in need of a paradigm shift, if nothing, it'll attract more spectators or viewers.

TESTS
(career)
M I NO Runs HS Ave 100 50 Ct St
Batting & Fielding 70 90 24 905 73* 13.71 0 1 23 0

Balls M R W Ave BBI 5 10 SR Econ
Bowling 18467 652 8493 355 23.92 7-83 23 7 52.0 2.75

ONE-DAY INTERNATIONALS
(career)
M I NO Runs HS Ave SR 100 50 Ct St
Batting & Fielding 63 34 8 240 42* 9.23 75.00 0 0 10 0

Balls M R W Ave BBI 4w 5w SR Econ
Bowling 3593 80 2145 103 20.82 5-34 5 1 34.8 3.58
I think Lillee is overrated. In reality, he was an outstanding but far from complete fast bowler, he was less effective against left-handers and not as good as some at running through the tail due to the lack of a good yorker. As a matter of fact Lillee had his off days and McGrath is a far more reliable fast bowler. Please note im not questioning his status as a great bowler, just think he is overrated and not the very best. Lillee's stats are less impressive than McGrath even though he played in a lower scoring era, and McGrath is the rarely thought of as the very best fast bowler. IMO Malcolm Marshall is the best paceman ever, closely followed by Hadlee.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Western Warrior said:
Probably a bit before everyone's time but this gentleman comes close

Sydney Francies Barnes

Tests

27 test matches
1312.1 overs
356 maidens
3106 runs conceded
189 wickets @ 16.43

24 five wicket hauls
7 ten wicket hauls
Best bowling: 9/103
S/R 41 balls per wicket
E/R 2.236 balls per over

First Class

133 matches
31527 balls delivered
1598 maidens
12289 runs conceded
719 wickets @ 17.09

68 five wicket hauls
18 ten wicket hauls
Best bowling 9/103
S/R 43.8 balls per wicket
E/R 2.33 balls per over
That is all very well, but Sydney Barnes was no fast bowler. 8-)

Buddhmaster

International Captain
For me, Lillee and McGrath. Because I havent watched cricket for that long, i've only been able to see live bowlers like McGrath, Walsh, Ambrose, Akram and Waqar, and i'd say McGrath is the best. Hadlee and Lillee look great from footage.

Western Warrior

School Boy/Girl Captain
a massive zebra said:
That is all very well, but Sydney Barnes was no fast bowler. 8-)
Neither is McGrath and I have seen his name mentioned more than once in this thread. Pace is not the be-all-or-end-all of bowling. It is only one ingredient.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah but Barnes, from what I've read, was only marginally above spinner's pace (slow-medium, really) whereas McGrath, at top pace, can definitely be considering at least a fast-medium (I've seen him go past 140km/h on regular occasions in teh last year).

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Top_Cat said:
Yeah but Barnes, from what I've read, was only marginally above spinner's pace (slow-medium, really) whereas McGrath, at top pace, can definitely be considering at least a fast-medium (I've seen him go past 140km/h on regular occasions in teh last year).
No. He was not a fast bowler but he bowled at a fairly hostile medium pace. Not really a spinners pace. But yes he wasnt a fast bowler as is understood today.

By general acclaim he was the greatest bowler of all time, fast, medium pace, spin whatever.

His figures which are as remarkable as the Don's in batting would have been even more stunning but for his insistence on various things , not just playing in the minor counties for the money, and his being difficult to handle and not being taken into the England side for all types of ridiculous reasons earlier than he was including the preposterous reason given by Warner for not including him in the team that toured Australia in 1902-03 that he " had no off-break" !!

barnes talking to duckworth, years later said he wasnt called to join Warner's team "because they said I couldnt bowl an off break". So playing for Lancashire, after the team and the reason to keep him out had been announced, he "whipped one down just outside Mr Warner's off stump which broke in and knocked off his leg stump."

Last edited:

Sudeep

International Captain
The greatest fast bowler I've seen bowl has to be Glenn McGrath. To maintain that kind of consitency in line and length is a very difficult task...

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sudeep said:
The greatest fast bowler I've seen bowl has to be Glenn McGrath. To maintain that kind of consitency in line and length is a very difficult task...
That reminds me, what's happened to Richard? :p

Craig

World Traveller
tooextracool said:
probably ate his computer after martyn and katich score prolifically in india.....
It wouldn't haave been the first time he has said it.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Sudeep said:

I think Curtly Ambrose did that too. I am sure if he had a great spinner to support, he would have gotten even more wickets than he did. For me, the best fast bowlers are Ambrose, Wasim and McGrath amongst the current guys.

Of all time, I would still rate Marshall ahead of Lillee, because I don't think Lillee was too good in the subcontinental conditions, whilst Marshall led his side to a whitewash in tests in India. I am not too sure about whether it was a whitewash but a scoreline of 3-0 suggests it must have been pretty close to a whitewash.

telsor

U19 12th Man
Fred "the Demon" Spofforth.

Quite apart from having very good figures ( 94@18.41, SR 44.5 ) and a hugely imposing reputation, he established the entire ethos of intimidation and awe that later bowlers have sought to immitate.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
wat about lillee's outstanding world series cricket record, when he was consistently playing against the best players in the world, and was still wrecking batting orders? in addition, this time spent out of test cricket during his prime surely detracted from his statistics, compounded by the fact that it is unfair to judge by numbers any fast bowler, as his aura and presence is what makes a fast bowler so good. this is why courtney walsh has hardly been mentioned on this thread - outstanding bowler, but did not have the threatening demeanour of curtly, dennis or even wasim

Shounak

Banned
vic_orthdox said:
wat about lillee's outstanding world series cricket record, when he was consistently playing against the best players in the world, and was still wrecking batting orders? in addition, this time spent out of test cricket during his prime surely detracted from his statistics, compounded by the fact that it is unfair to judge by numbers any fast bowler, as his aura and presence is what makes a fast bowler so good. this is why courtney walsh has hardly been mentioned on this thread - outstanding bowler, but did not have the threatening demeanour of curtly, dennis or even wasim
I totally agree. Facing some chin music and then having a bowler like Lillee walk up, snarl at you and tell you the next ball's taking your head off would be disconcerting for most batsmen. It's these aggressive qualities and general attitude to the game that I don't think any current players possess. I'd rather face a 'nice guy' bowler like Brett Lee then the great D.K. Lillee anyday.

twctopcat

International Regular
shounak said:
I totally agree. Facing some chin music and then having a bowler like Lillee walk up, snarl at you and tell you the next ball's taking your head off would be disconcerting for most batsmen. It's these aggressive qualities and general attitude to the game that I don't think any current players possess. I'd rather face a 'nice guy' bowler like Brett Lee then the great D.K. Lillee anyday.
I would much prefer a mouthy aussie bowling at me than a 6ft 7in west indian who didn't talk so much, there's something more psychologically imposing about that sort of character IMO, because it's not all about mouth. The best batsmen aren't imposed by talk.

Bapu Rao Swami

U19 12th Man
Lillee - 'McGrath is the greatest'
Wisden Cricinfo staff
April 24, 2004

Glenn McGrath has been given the ultimate accolade as he prepares for his return to international cricket. None other than the legendary Dennis Lillee reckons he is possibly the greatest fast bowler in history.

McGrath, who has been out of action all season with an ankle injury, asked Lillee to oversee his final preparations. Lillee approved of what he saw, and even believes that McGrath's best years could be ahead of him. "He is probably the best quick we've seen for a long time - if not the best ever," Lillee told Australia's Sunday Telegraph." You can't write anyone off who has been that good over the years. You'd be stupid to. I have absolutely no doubt he'll be back - and he'll be as good, if not better."

Even before his injury crept in, McGrath had been aware of a flaw that was creeping into his effortlessly smooth action, and under the supervision of Lillee, he has made best use of his time off the treadmill of international cricket. "Glenn has never really had any problems with his action,"said Lillee, "but a couple of times over the years he has had a minor glitch which we have discussed and straight away he fixes it. He is very aware of what works for him and what doesn't."

McGrath, for his part, has scotched all talks that his career is drawing to a close. "I've looked at all my goals and I want to play the 2007 World Cup," he said. "I'll be 37 then and I believe right at my peak as a fast bowler. I'm definitely not thinking retirement. Combined with my strength and increased fitness levels, I reckon I've added 10km of pace, and I'm confident I can go around 140kph consistently now. It is all just coming together for me."

"You can never write anyone like Glenn off. There is more than just an injury there, it's what goes on in here," added Lillee, pointing to his heart. "You can lose fitness, you can lose confidence, but you don't lose a talent - and he has a talent. Like Imran Khan, there is no reason why Glenn can't go on until he is 39 or 40. "