Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Players who bowl with one hand and bat another

Players who bowl with one hand and bat another

There are numerous players who bowl with one hand and bat with another, is there a reason for this? A very very small proportion of the world's population are ambidextrous, although these players seem to be ubiquitous in international cricket. Just to name a few (although you'll probably think of many more), Sourav Ganguly, Graeme Smith and many players less known for their all round abilities. Both Justin Langer and Matthew Hayden bowl right handed but bat left handed. Can anyone suggest a reason why? And why there are so many of these players?
    Shounak
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

michael clarke, irfan pathan are both another pair that do both quiet well

it's quiet common actually, there are 2 ppl on my team that are like that.... both are left arm bowlers,and right arm batsman

Sourav Ganguly is an exception though. He started batting left handed because his brother had left handed equipment and that's all ganguls had access to
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by shounak
    There are numerous players who bowl with one hand and bat with another, is there a reason for this? A very very small proportion of the world's population are ambidextrous, although these players seem to be ubiquitous in international cricket. Just to name a few (although you'll probably think of many more), Sourav Ganguly, Graeme Smith and many players less known for their all round abilities. Both Justin Langer and Matthew Hayden bowl right handed but bat left handed. Can anyone suggest a reason why? And why there are so many of these players?
    Shounak
    Its not always a case of being ambidextrous. Those who bowl and throw with their right hand are generally right handers and vice versa. However when it comes to batting it could be different and could actually be an advantage.

Batting, with an orthodox grip and technique, is a top-hand dominated excercise for all except the square of the wicket shots like cuts, pulls and hooks. For all drives, the tophand is used. Its the same in golf. Thus for Ganguly and Lara you have the right hand (top hand) being used to swing the bat and thus providing the momentum. You will sometimes see these players letting go of the bottom hand completely (so loosely does it grip the bat) and the ball stil screams to the boundary.

Of course there are some dominating bottom hand players (Sachin and Bradman are the two best known examples). These players have unorthodox grips and get the power from the bottom hand (right hand for them. Thus the swing of the bat is less free and the length of the lever shorter(since for top hand players the bat swings from the shoulder with the entire arm becoming an extension of the bat). Thus you can 'feel' the power they put into the shots while the top hand players appear to (and actually do) put less power and use the 'length of the lever' to compensate for the same.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deeps
    Apart from Clarke's bowling that is.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

School Boy/Girl Captain Western Warrior's Avatar
    If you watch you'll probably notice that Gilchrist throws with his right hand yet he's obviously a left handed batsman. I've also watched Ian Harvey in the practice nets and he can bowl left and right handed with no visible loss in pace or accuracy.

I've tried batting left handed (I'm right handed) and whilst it initially feels awkward you tend to get used to it quite quickly.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar
    I've also watched Ian Harvey in the practice nets and he can bowl left and right handed with no visible loss in pace or accuracy.
    Really? Wow, that's awesome. Wonder why he didn't try lefties at international level?

SJS, what you said about the top and bottom hand grip does make a lot of sense. But in terms of bowling. Bowling requires a lot of dexterity in the hands and fingers for all sorts of bowlers. Does that mean players like Michael Clarke or Inzamam Ul Haq, who bat right handed but bowl left arm orthodox are in fact left handers controlling the bat with their top (left) hand?
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer Joao_Quinto's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Western Warrior
    I've also watched Ian Harvey in the practice nets and he can bowl left and right handed with no visible loss in pace or accuracy.
    I believe that is why the call him 'Freak'.

I have a friend who can bat just fine left handed in the backyard and can get them reasonably straight when bowling left arm but is a natural right hander at both.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

International Regular a massive zebra's Avatar
    Eggs Champion!
    Curtley Ambrose
    Saqlain Mushtaq
    James Anderson
    THE ULTIMATE CRICKET WEB ARCADE EGGS CHAMPION

RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1990-2006
    RIP Craig Walsh (AKA "Craig"), 1985-2012

Irfan Pathan bowls and bats left-handed.
    "Talent is nothing without opportunity"
    "You're not remembered for aiming at the target, but hitting it"

Twenty20 used to be boring.

Sponsored...by...nothing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Western Warrior
    He should use that. Imagine bowling two balls with his right arm, and then from no where bowling it with his left. You'd think it'd at least put the batsman off.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Pinball Champion!
    "Left Handed" doesnt really mean left handed, because you use both your hands when playing a cricket shot...

Grant Flower is a pretty good exponant...
    Fred Tetanus likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    He should use that. Imagine bowling two balls with his right arm, and then from no where bowling it with his left. You'd think it'd at least put the batsman off.
    he'd have to tell the umpire, who in turn would transfer the message to the batsman, thus removing the surprise nature...though it would still b off puttin ghaving to adjust every delivery
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

Yeah I just thought about that after I posted it. I remembered that the umpire has to inform the batsman "Right arm over" or "Left arm over" etc. Still, pretty handy tool

International Vice-Captain
    don't forget ashley giles and richard hadlee of course
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information