• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Players who bowl with one hand and bat another

Don

State Vice-Captain
well im one of those.i bowl right handed and bat left handed.i dont use the bottom hand grip so my right hand(top hand) controls the shots.my friend rishi is the same.my cuzin brent is the same.its a very common sight i believe.i would explain more but eyes arent very opne

Deja moo

International Captain
SJS said:
Of course there are some dominating bottom hand players (Sachin and Bradman are the two best known examples). These players have unorthodox grips and get the power from the bottom hand (right hand for them. Thus the swing of the bat is less free and the length of the lever shorter(since for top hand players the bat swings from the shoulder with the entire arm becoming an extension of the bat). Thus you can 'feel' the power they put into the shots while the top hand players appear to (and actually do) put less power and use the 'length of the lever' to compensate for the same.
I understand where you are going, but Tendulkar is the worst example you could have provided.

Tendulkar is a born Left hander ( he writes left handed, eats left handed). But he is ambidextrous enough to bowl right handed. Tendulkar is a true case of ambidexterity . ( And yes, he sometimes does take the bottom hand off the blade when he drives on the up.Maybe in fewer instances than other players , but that is just because he uses a heavy bat- more weight.)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Deja moo said:
I understand where you are going, but Tendulkar is the worst example you could have provided.

Tendulkar is a born Left hander ( he writes left handed, eats left handed). But he is ambidextrous enough to bowl right handed. Tendulkar is a true case of ambidexterity . ( And yes, he sometimes does take the bottom hand off the blade when he drives on the up.Maybe in fewer instances than other players , but that is just because he uses a heavy bat- more weight.)
Oh yes. I realise Tendulkar is ambidextrous in so much that he does certain things like write and eat with his left hand but I gave his example more to show the difference beween a top hand dominated grip and a bottom hand dominated one.

Yes, he has less bottom hand than some others but it is still very much there and you can see it also in the follow through sometimes. The way the top hand grips the bat (turned around so that the bacl of the top hand faces cover point rather than long off also makes it difficult for the top hand to dominate.

But there yes are more glaring examples than his.

Incidentally, not too many people are truly ambidextrous. The hand which provides more power is the one you normally use for throwing be it a cricket ball or a stone. Very few people are equally strong in both. These are truly ambidextrous. Others who prefer doing some functions with the 'other'(weaker) hand may do it because they just started doing it from early childhood and got used to it.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
shounak said:
SJS, what you said about the top and bottom hand grip does make a lot of sense. But in terms of bowling. Bowling requires a lot of dexterity in the hands and fingers for all sorts of bowlers. Does that mean players like Michael Clarke or Inzamam Ul Haq, who bat right handed but bowl left arm orthodox are in fact left handers controlling the bat with their top (left) hand?
Whether one is right handed or left handed is best judged (for cricketers) by how they prefer to throw in from the deep. I cant immediately recall how these two throw.

Deja moo

International Captain
^ SJS, what I meant to say was that despite him being a left hand dominant player , he is a bottom hand ( ie right hand ) player predominantly .

It just goes to show that in some cases one can be a bottom hand player even if the bottom hand is not really your dominant hand.

Really raises questions about the labels "right handed batsman " and "left ahnded batsman ". A right handed batsman might feel more natural playing "left handed" , and he would say that he is batting right handed. We might just have had the terminology wrong all along.

Cloete

International Captain
Here's a bizarre case... I know someone who bowls left handed and bats left handed but he throws right handed! I'll have to find out what hand he writes with and stuff

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Deja moo said:
^ SJS, what I meant to say was that despite him being a left hand dominant player , he is a bottom hand ( ie right hand ) player predominantly .

It just goes to show that in some cases one can be a bottom hand player even if the bottom hand is not really your dominant hand.

Really raises questions about the labels "right handed batsman " and "left ahnded batsman ". A right handed batsman might feel more natural playing "left handed" , and he would say that he is batting right handed. We might just have had the terminology wrong all along.
I presume that by a left hand dominant player you mean he(Sachin) is a left hander. If I think right, he prefers to throw in from the deep field with his right hand , doesnt he ?

Generally it is normal, for everyone, to use the bottom hand. When you take a child for his first coaching lesson, this is the first thing that gets noticed. He will hold the bat with the right hand low near the blade (assuming he is a right handed person) as if it were a stick to beat someone with and then adjust the position of the left hand on the handle, ususally turned around way towards point(back of the hand that is). THe orthodox grip and the teaching of the dominant top hand is difficult initially and some children never imbibe it.

So I would say, that the dominant hand being the bottom hand (and vice versa) is the natural way for all people.

If you catch a child (right handed) early enough and pursuade him to bat as what we term a left hander, with his right hand becoming the top hand, you may find that imparting the other orthodox technical aspects of the grip and swing become easier. I have seen at least two such cases in Delhi where cricketer fathers made their sons bat with their dominant hand as the top hand. But this is very rare.

Most kids go to the coach having played some cricket, even if it is around the block, and the coach , seeing how they stand at the wicket (as right handed or left handed batsmen), dosen"t try to change that bit.

It is much more prominent in golf where all driving is left hand dominated and its the top hand and the players are (and called ) right handers :D

In cricket at least there are many strokes cuts, pulls etc which are bottom hand dominated.

I remember, my coach telling me to grip the bat as if it was an axe (with the inner edge of the bat being the blade) and this brought the grip very close to the orthodox grip. I just recalled this on reading your post. It is strange that when we hold a stick, a sword etc in one hand, we hold it in our dominant hand and grip it from the top. But the moment we hold it in both hands, the dominant hand goes lower.

I can think of only one reason. When you want to swing the stick, the bat, the axe with power and hit an object in a fixed spot, you need both power and precision. Man must have discovered early that while he could get adequate power with his non-dominant hand on top combined with speed of the swing, the precisiona nd accuracy of the plane through which to swing was better achieved by the dominant hand being the one to provide that. You get much more precision with the hand closer to the 'sweet spot" than otherwise. Try swinging a stick to hit a ball placed away from you. The shorter the stick (distance between the hand and the part of the stick that hits the ball) the more accurate will be your aim.

I think the bottom hand, in an orthodox drive , provides the direction and also helps in keeping the bat face straight. You cant trust your top hand to do that :)

If you are a right hander, you can try this small excercise. Try batting as a left hander. What is it that you see your problem as. Firstly, of course, is the feet movement. This is fundamental since you are not used to it. But try swinging with feet a bit wide apart in the stance and no forward or backward movement as you play.

You will find that while you are able to swing the bat alright. In fact you will be able to do it very well if you used only your top/dominant/right hand. BUT, you are not able to direct the bat in the right direction when you are using both hands. I suspect it is because your non-dominant hand, the left hand in this case, is not able to guide the bat in an accurate enough direction.

So maybe there is some thing more important than the speed of the swing and the power in batting , the accuracy of the dirsction of the swing and the control over the plane in which the bat moves. A big lesson in this maybe :)

Last edited:

Deja moo

International Captain
^ About the feet movements. Iam a right hander but bat left handed. My feet decided it for me really. I feel more comfortable when my right foot is the front foot , and can get to the pitch of the ball better . ( of course it would have helped if I had better hand eye co ordination as well :()

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
haha im so sad sometimes... i was trying to desperately think of someone, when that someone is me! left hand bat, right arm bowl.

nathan bracken is another, theres actually heaps around. Strauss is another.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Richard Hadlee said it just felt natural first time he picked up a bat to grab it with a lefthanded grip, which didn't go down too well with father Walter, as the rest of the family batted right handed.

Another Kiwi who did that was Justin Vaughan, while Steven Boock was a left-arm spinner who batted right-handed.

Buddhmaster

International Captain
I can bat and bowl both left and right handed, and i have a few friends who bat left, and bowl right, and 2 that bat right and bowl left, so it must be quite common.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Buddhmaster said:
I can bat and bowl both left and right handed, and i have a few friends who bat left, and bowl right, and 2 that bat right and bowl left, so it must be quite common.
My party trick (well net trick) is to go through the impersonations.

Muralitharan, Abdul Qadir, Chris Harris, Malcolm Marshall, Chris Martin, and then switch hands and a few Michael Bevans and Paul Adams (full frog in a blender effect) come out.

Buddhmaster

International Captain
Voltman said:
My party trick (well net trick) is to go through the impersonations.

Muralitharan, Abdul Qadir, Chris Harris, Malcolm Marshall, Chris Martin, and then switch hands and a few Michael Bevans and Paul Adams (full frog in a blender effect) come out.
I do that aswell, as i am quite good at bowling action mimicing, but i can't bowl like Paul Adams