• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Laxman has lost it

V Reddy

International Debutant
Sudeep said:
I've a Diwali *** reading vacation. My finals start on the 30th of November.

You won't get a Diwali vacation?

No man only 2 days :@ . Infact mine is the only college still functioning now in Hyderabad as all the others are having 1 month holidays :happy:

Sudeep

International Captain
V Reddy said:
No man only 2 days :@ . Infact mine is the only college still functioning now in Hyderabad as all the others are having 1 month holidays :happy:
That's just :wacko:

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
IMO It's very debatable that Laxman would average over 40 in test cricket if he didn't get to bat on the sub-continent for most of the year.

tooextracool

International Coach
Tim said:
IMO It's very debatable that Laxman would average over 40 in test cricket if he didn't get to bat on the sub-continent for most of the year.
really?recent performances suggest he would probably average more than his career average......50 in SA,79 in WI,40 in eng, and 82 in aus. the only real failure that hes had outside the subcontinet was in NZ where as we all know everyone bar richardson and dravid failed.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
It doesn't take much for someone to jump on Laxman's back. I'm happy with him in the side, and unless he consistently fails for a lot longer, I'm sure he'll be in there, and deservedly so.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
There will always be these types of players who look gorgeous when in good form and disgraceful when in bad form. Laxman is one, Sehwag is another, Trescothick comes to mind, even Ponting and Gilchrist have had POOR POOR series in India. I mean, most of such players depend on hand-eye co-ordination and when things go wrong, they go horribly wrong, and when things go right, they look awesome. But overall, Laxman's numbers post 2000 are not that bad and so he can probably be expected to do better real soon.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
The fact of the matter is that Laxman is what is best described as a rythm player. When he is going well he will make batting look the easiest thing in the world and getting him out appear like an impossibility.

When he isnt, he can get out to any kind of delivery.

It is not as if he is throwing away his wicket by playing atrocious slogs or going into his shell and playing a game totally alien to his normal game. He is just not in rythm (for want of a more appropriate term). That is why, even earlier when he has been having a bad patch, even the 20-30 runs he did score were stil made with beautiful batting. He is incapable of scoring with ugly batting. The other day, before getting out he played a couple of lovely strokes. But it just doesnt last. He is kind of lost.

It has happened to him before and he will come out of it.

Every time he has been dropped from the Indian side he has come back and stroked freely as before as if nothing had ever happened.

He is not under pressure (at least not on the surface) or out of form in the conventional sense.

Most players talk of being 'in the zone' sometimes in their careers and then the game just flows and they play great innings. Laxman is one of those who is in the zone almost all the time. When he is not -n-the-zone, that is his equivalent of being out ogf form and he seems lost, not able to concentrate etc etc.

Those who say he is not a good player or a bully on sub continent wickets or a bully against mediocre bowling dont know what they are talking about. But thopse who think his problems are faulty technique or lack of footwork aren't on the spot either.

He is just not all there !!

KishanTeli

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Hi everyone,

Apparently, Laxman has a nagging knee/shin injury. Not sure whether it is true, but it is said to affect his batting quite drastically when the problem is at its worst.

Might just be a rumour (or an excuse for his recent poor form).

Whether this problem exists or not, I still think he should be in the side. He is by no means 'Mr. Consistency" but when he produces he tends to score quite heavily.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
seems as if he is having similar problems as trescothick in the caribean.
its just down to form , sooner or later he is bound to get back .

TendulkarFan

School Boy/Girl Captain
Remember the Australia tour from a few years ago when Laxman was told in the last Sydney test that they were going to drop him once they came back to India? The guy went out relaxed and stroked a beautiful 167. It's amazing what one can do when there's no pressure on.

I look forward to some outstanding individual Indian performances in Mumbai since the pressure of winning the series is now gone. Established guys like Tendulkar, Dravid, Laxman and Sehwag just have to go out and enjoy themselves. There is absolutely no pressure on them.

I also expect the Aussies to let their guard down a wee bit now that they have won the series. No way their intensity stays the same as in the first three tests.

Sudeep

International Captain
TendulkarFan said:
I also expect the Aussies to let their guard down a wee bit now that they have won the series. No way their intensity stays the same as in the first three tests.
Manjrekar mentioned it in an interview with Ponting that Australians never seem to clean sweep a series. There's always a loss somewhere. Ponting guaranteed that they'd go at it 100%, but yes having won the series there's a tad bit of relaxation that prevents you from doing that.

Will Scarlet

U19 Debutant
Back off the LAX!

Sure, Laxman has had a bad series, but so has the rest of the Indian top order - excluding Sehwag. It appears the only way they will get runs is by taking a LAXative!

Tendulkar's form against the Aussies in recent series has been rubbish. In the last series in AUS he was only saved by a double ton in one match, when things were already pretty rosey, I think.

And let's not forget that Australia has the best bowling attack in world cricket!

V Reddy, you appear to going to the KwikiMart of Indian Educational Institutions.

Last edited:

V Reddy

International Debutant
Will Scarlet said:
-

V Reddy, you appear to going to the KwikiMart or Indian Educational Institutions.
I didn't get you right. You asking me whether i am student ? If so then yes :sleep: .

BTW, what do you mean in that sentence by Kwikimart ?