• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the second best Test team?

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Now that India have been comprehensively stuffed in two of their three Tests with Australia, who do you believe is the second best Test team in the World?

My view is if England beat South Africa in South Africa (which I think they will, fairly comfortably) then England will be undisputedly the second best Test team in the World.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
its probably not all that important who is second. theres no awards for it, plus every team who seems to be rated "2nd best" has suffered a slump. South Africa are not what they were a couple of years ago, India now appear to have slumped after being rated 2nd. At this stage its probably England, but to me it doesnt really matter who second is...

Slow Love™

International Captain
Scaly piscine said:
My view is if England beat South Africa in South Africa (which I think they will, fairly comfortably) then England will be undisputedly the second best Test team in the World.
Providing that happens, then yeah, I think it's reasonably undisputed.

Scaly piscine

Until the Ashes series second is the best England can achieve - so it is worth something, wouldn't be much hope if England were below India when the Ashes series comes along...

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
On recent form England come to mind, but there is no definite answer. As someone has recently said, being labelled '2nd best' hasn't done any teams a favour recently either.

Simon

KennyD said:
...because 2nd is still miles away from Australia. right Broncoman?
no, its because teams dont play to come 2nd, they play to win, the only sport where its really important to know who is second best is boxing, cause that means they are next in line for a title fight!
Im sure England, India and so on really couldnt see a difference being 2nd or 5th, they are all aiming to knock the aussies off and you dont need to be 2nd to do that....

bugssy

Cricketer Of The Year
broncoman said:
no, its because teams dont play to come 2nd, they play to win, the only sport where its really important to know who is second best is boxing, cause that means they are next in line for a title fight!
Im sure England, India and so on really couldnt see a difference being 2nd or 5th, they are all aiming to knock the aussies off and you dont need to be 2nd to do that....

no you dont need to be 2nd to knock of the aussies but you need to have a bloody good ricket side with great team management!

Simon

bugssy said:
no you dont need to be 2nd to knock of the aussies but you need to have a bloody good ricket side with great team management!
or a couple of lucky days....

Simon

Neil Pickup said:
Or more accurately, to play them without Warne and McGrath.
i believe we tried that, and india (the so called 2nd best side) could only manage a drawn series...

Simon

Scaly piscine said:
How come you only drew a 3 Test series against NZ in your own back yard then?
r we still talking about aus? if so, is going back that many summers still relevant?

Simon

Scaly piscine said:
yes and yes
well seeing as though u brought it up, rain killed us that series, Brisbne and Hobart we had them before the rain and Perth was just one of those games, Kiwis played good cricket and just batted on and on, really they were playing for the draw....

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Who cares who's the second best side if they are not up to the standards set by the best side?

Teams should not play for second-best, but only the best.

Scaly piscine

Arjun said:
Who cares who's the second best side if they are not up to the standards set by the best side?

Teams should not play for second-best, but only the best.
The second-best side can still beat the best side, especially at home.