• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lehmann - Is His Career Over?

Waughney

International Debutant
He is in a lot of doubt for the 4th test, Clarke is in cracking form, Ponting is due back, he is getting old, he has said that he is willing to step aside for Clarke....

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i wouldnt count him out, we play NZ at the start of the summer, whos to say Marto or Clarke or Katich wont get injured, Lehmann would be likely to get the call up if hes fit, theres all sorts of ifs and buts, but theres no denying a fully fit Australian line up no longer includes boof...

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
broncoman said:
i wouldnt count him out, we play NZ at the start of the summer, whos to say Marto or Clarke or Katich wont get injured, Lehmann would be likely to get the call up if hes fit, theres all sorts of ifs and buts, but theres no denying a fully fit Australian line up no longer includes boof...
Interesting. Just a week ago I said that and I was almost killed right here :-O

anzac

International Debutant
I certainly wouldn't count him out just yet...............

he hasn't had a bad summer - he did very well in SRL, prior to that it would have been Martyn who'se place would have been under some scrutiny........

another factor to bear in mind is that this is really the first season at this level for Katich & Clarke so far as consistant selection goes, & primarily thay have been selected v predominantly spin attacks...........

bottom line - it's still early days AFAIC.............

Dar

School Boy/Girl Captain
Like the other guy said a fully fit side wouldn't include him now that Martyn's playing so well and Clarke is the man of the moment. But we all know how often injuries occur and if Lehmann is brought back in to the team and scores a century he will remian in the selectors minds

Joao_Quinto

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Worst comes to worst for Boof he can go and score another 10000 first class runs in pura cup. I wouldn't mind having that option.

Yeah I think hes stuffed coz of that hammy he pulled. Now clarke is scoring runs you'd think the selectors would let him keep going especially since I would imagine that he would play better in australia, what with the NZ tour imminent.

Bapu Rao Swami

U19 12th Man
Lehmann should play until the Ashes IMHO.

He is very underrated and is still in form, but must say you Aussies have a discovered a new star in Simon Katich. His knock today was great, I rarely see batsmen come on the front foot and take Kumble to the cleaners like he did. He is exactly what Australia needs, a patient, backfoot player. With Clarke & Katich in for good, I believe Oz has covered the gap left by Waugh twins.

Lehmann will have to leave sometime or the other, so I don't blame him.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Bapu Rao Swami said:
With Clarke & Katich in for good, I believe Oz has covered the gap left by Waugh twins.
Exactly right, mate. For a while after Waugh left, the Australian batting lineup was looking pretty fragile; not in the amount of stars there, but the collapses that were occuring for whatever reason. Seems like the problem has been rectified, for the time being, at least.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
If Lehmann is gone for good, as a mad cricket fan I'm going to miss his abstract cricketing style and his ingenius batting. :(

Simon

even if lehmann isnt in the top 6 in the test side anymore, theres nothing to say he wont be in the one day squad, i see no reason why he shouldnt continue playing ODI if he wants to....

KennyD

International Vice-Captain
broncoman said:
even if lehmann isnt in the top 6 in the test side anymore, theres nothing to say he wont be in the one day squad, i see no reason why he shouldnt continue playing ODI if he wants to....
right on. I'd definitely keep him in the ODI's, hes just so useful.

Good batter, and very, very handy one day bowling.

Simon

KennyD said:
right on. I'd definitely keep him in the ODI's, hes just so useful.

Good batter, and very, very handy one day bowling.
and given the fact theres no logical replacement for him, the guys next in line, Hodge, North, Cosgrove etc... are all different types of player, Mike Hussey is the only one i can see who could replace him, but the selectors reluctance to use him means lehmann will probably retain his spot...

venx86

Cricket Spectator
I think Boof's career began in India (Bangalore) and will come to an unfortunate end in India. Ive been one of his biggest fans, like the way he plays his cricket and its unfortunate that a great character will be bidding us good bye. Clarke's golden touch has not only ensured Lehmann's exit (shall i call it) but also has proven to us what depth in cricket really means. A man-for-man replacement by the Aussies is indeed one of their great strengths. I guess he will be remembered by every cricket fan for the statement he made of giving up his place for Clarkey, when everyone else wants to hold on to it. Will he still be playing for Yorkshire with his bro-in-law Craig White ?? I hope he does keep playing cricket for Yorkshire and the Redbacks (they really need him :yawn:). We should however see him in the one day ranks hopefully. But Boof ! We'll Miss Ya Mate !!

anzac

International Debutant
I still think you are being too hasty unless his injury keeps him out for some time.............

I think Katich & Clarke will retain their spots while he is injured, but I expect Boof to be part of the Ashes Squad.................

if either Katich or Clarke have a bad run then Boof will be back in again so long as he keeps scoring runs.............

he is a proven run scorer in just about any circumstances, and more than handy as a bowling option in both forms of the game..........

Joao_Quinto

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
anzac said:
if either Katich or Clarke have a bad run then Boof will be back in again so long as he keeps scoring runs.............

he is a proven run scorer in just about any circumstances, and more than handy as a bowling option in both forms of the game..........
Im not so sure, even if a smidgeon bias, that if Kat or Clarkey lose form that Boof will slip back in. Shane watson is as good as any young batsman in Australia and is the same age as Clarke. If he is ever going to get his chance the Ashes is as good a time as any. Watson has been in every touring party I can remember since his first FC season and since those Stress Fractures in his back his batting has improved out of site. He reminds me an awful lot of Kallis. No disrespect to Boof's bowling but Watto if he can tighten up his bowling could be a little more than just handy. With Watto batting at 6 Australia have 5 bowlers. Not to mention the whole "I'll step down for Clarke" give the young fellas a go attitude that Boofer seems to have adopted.
But as I said, Bias. :D

howardj

International Coach
Other than making runs on absolute 'belters' in the Carribean last year, Boof has hardly made himself indespensible. I think the selectors would be mad to re-include him at the expense of Clarke and Katich, who both have plenty of cricket ahead of them.

Personally, Ive lost a bit of respect for Boof this series. It just seemed a bit self-serving of him to come out - so publicly - and volunteer to stand aside for Clarke. I mean, if you're really serious, then just tell the selectors your intentions privately, rather than coming out in public and trying to make a hero of yourself.