• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lehmann - Is His Career Over?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mr Casson said:
People say that about half the batsmen in domestic cricket. If it's true for every one of them, a lot of Australians have missed out on becoming Test centurions. 8-)
I very much doubt it is true for all of them - possibly only a very small percentage of them.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Western Warrior said:
Well said. I keep wondering why Stuart Law didn't receive more chances. He subbed once in a test for an injured Steve Waugh and made a half century. However, that was the last we saw of him. He did have a longer run in the ODI team where he demonstrated a weakness against spin.

Yet having seen him play against the likes of Warne in the ING and Pura Milk Cup I think he was quite an accomplished player against the slower bowlers.

In the end I think he was yet another player who didn't get the chances he deserved to showcase his talent.
If the rumours are to be believed we may yet see him in next year's Ashes.

Won't be wearing the baggy green tho!

Western Warrior

School Boy/Girl Captain
BoyBrumby said:

Why not. Alec Stewart played until he was 40 so you never know. :D

As for Bob Simpson........

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Western Warrior said:
Why not. Alec Stewart played until he was 40 so you never know. :D

As for Bob Simpson........
I'd have him in a shot! Looks like the kinda guy who takes care of himself, a charge you could never level at Mr Lehmann! :D

Craig

World Traveller
BoyBrumby said:

Do you guys really need him? You have Ian Bell, Kevin Pietersen, and I have a gut feeling about Mark Wagh (how do you pronounce it anyway?) waiting in the wings.

Some quality back-ups in the pace (if there is another injury crisis which usually happens against Australia), spin department, and a good 'keeper batsman (Jones is good enough with the bat but not with the gloves).

Craig

World Traveller
honestbharani said:
He can still comeback if Hayden continues playing like this and we might see a repeat of what happened in 2001 Ashes during the 2005 Ashes. They replaced Slater with Martyn and asked Langer to open back then. Maybe now, they will replace Hayden with Lehmann and ask Katich to open, if Katich can maintain his good form..... Not very probable, but possible.
I would have found it funny had it been posted on April's Fools Day.

And you have a factiual error in there anyway, Langer replaced Slater for the 5th Ashes Test. Martyn replaced Langer, Ponting took Langer's spot at 3 and Martyn slotted in at 6, since then he has moved to number 4.

Western Warrior

School Boy/Girl Captain
BoyBrumby said:
I'd have him in a shot! Looks like the kinda guy who takes care of himself, a charge you could never level at Mr Lehmann! :D
I must admit I have had the pleasure/nightmare of seeing Mr Lehmann with his shirt off. That apparent paunch is not fat. Stout he may be, fat he is not!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
Do you guys really need him? You have Ian Bell, Kevin Pietersen, and I have a gut feeling about Mark Wagh (how do you pronounce it anyway?) waiting in the wings.
Same as Afghan.

Dydl

International Debutant
He might be dropped for the final test, he might not be able to get back in again. He is also willing to step aside and get dropped.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Craig said:
A fair point. We may not need him as such (Australia certainly don't really "need" Clarke!!), but Law's proven quality as a batter & a nice option to have, if only in the short term. Might inspire one or two interesting comments from the more vocal members of the Aussie team!

Craig

World Traveller
Interesting to note to read in the paper today that Lehmann himself reckons he is a good chance of lining up against New Zealand on the 18th.

You can't say he lacks confidence in himself playing Test cricket again.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Craig said:
Interesting to note to read in the paper today that Lehmann himself reckons he is a good chance of lining up against New Zealand on the 18th.

You can't say he lacks confidence in himself playing Test cricket again.
Suddenly hes not so keen to step aside for Clarke? I cant keep up.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
I didnt say Clarke will be dropped. I'm talking about Lehmann's willingness to step aside for him if it came to that.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Linda said:
Suddenly hes not so keen to step aside for Clarke? I cant keep up.
Face-saving exercise. When push came to shove, Clarke was going to edge out Lehmann for the fourth test anyway. Doesn't matter what he says about it now.

Western Warrior

School Boy/Girl Captain
Mr Casson said:
Face-saving exercise. When push came to shove, Clarke was going to edge out Lehmann for the fourth test anyway. Doesn't matter what he says about it now.
I think it really is time we gave the younger players a go rather than trying to squeeze out the last bit of form from our more 'senior' players. I think Lehmann got it right first time when he said he would step down to make way for Clarke. It was a noble gesture and a sign that the old guard is soon to step aside for a younger generation.

I think come the 2006/2007 season our test XI will be (crystal ball is a bit murky so please fogive me)

Hayden
Langer
Ponting
Love
Katich
Clarke
Gilchrist
White
Lee
Gillespie
Tait (or Rofe)