• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** South Africa in India Thread

masterblaster

International Captain
Both teams are in trouble somewhat, and it should make an interesting series. Although India do have a long and somewhat illustrious history in making unknown opposition players into absolute superstars.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
1 spinner for a tour of India 8-)

It just makes it all the worse for England if they are going to win down there, because I can see this one ending up 2-0 India.
Spin was never their main bowling strength, not if Nicky Boje is their frontline spinner- ask Boycott! Their pace/seam/swing bowlers have always been their best bowlers.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
masterblaster said:
Both teams are in trouble somewhat, and it should make an interesting series. Although India do have a long and somewhat illustrious history in making unknown opposition players into absolute superstars.
Hopefully some unknown players in this Indian team (if picked) become superstars, for a change.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Arjun said:
Spin was never their main bowling strength, not if Nicky Boje is their frontline spinner- ask Boycott! Their pace/seam/swing bowlers have always been their best bowlers.
That's all very well, but you still have to take bowlers to suit conditions, and that lot doesn't do a lot for me!

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
the politics of south african cricket and the sacking of boucher!

it has become apparent to me that the state and selection matter of south african cricket is becoming more and more dominated by political matters.
the sacking of mark boucher is a pime example of this, boucher is obviously good enough to be in the side and his sacking is a joke, he has been replaced not for his performance but because he is of the incorrect race which is quite simply ridiculous. i cannot understand why the sa selectors insist on there being a quota of black players in the side each time a squad is picked, surely if you are good enough then you should make the team rather than be greanted a sopt on the squad on merit or becuase of your race. boucher is a very talented batsman and keeper and his sacking so that he can be replaced of another raced keeper is stupid and silly , it is a ridiculous movemnt that will only weaken the state of south african cricket into a worse condition that it already is.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The way I see it, this is a lose-lose situation for India, on the Cricketweb boards anyway.

If they win, even if they win comprehensively, it's a shrug of the shoulders and a "Hey, the current South Africa team aren't a real challenge", and if they lose, they'll be laughed upon and deemed garbage.

I myself am reasonably optimistic with the tour, hoping for a good series.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Now you see how England get treated!

Anyway, should Bojé refuse to tour, the replacement will be Charl Langeveldt, leaving SA with all of no spinners. That's nothing more than stupid at best.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
There's obviously a problem with South African cricket if this line of thinking is happening with every SA tour. Or maybe there's a problem with some member's thinking? I don't know.

On the topic of Boucher, I'm stunned to not see him selected. I've always rated him very highly.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
What I'm concerned about is that the chief executive of the United Cricket Board (UCB), Gerald Majola, told parliamentarians Tsolekile "should walk into the team" ahead of Boucher last week.

Smacks of, well, the ZCU.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:
What I'm concerned about is that the chief executive of the United Cricket Board (UCB), Gerald Majola, told parliamentarians Tsolekile "should walk into the team" ahead of Boucher last week.

Smacks of, well, the ZCU.
Have any of our SA correspondents seen much of the new guys? From a distance, the squad smacks of political interference, but I don't know enough about the players to say for sure. Jennings had made some pretty clear comments that Boucher's place was in danger anyway, although maybe he had Nik Pothas in mind.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
The chief (Don't know who it was, must be Majola), said that Boucher talks a little too much, and it has affected his game, so he needs to learn the hard way.

Joao_Quinto

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I dont think that SA taking only one spinner is that unreasonable.
I know there is an obvious difference in class but Australia only have 2 (I am assuming that Hauritz didn't go) in the touring squad and lets face it everyone knew that White (and Hauritz if he is there) were never going to play the test series they just went for the experience and to get a feel for the conditions so that when Australia next goes to India the younger players will know what to expect.
I think it is fair to say the the Aussie quicks were the pick of the bowlers for the majority of the series so far, with the exception of that 6 for that warnie got in a match that in turn was the most even out of the three so far.
There is no point in SA picking a player just because he is a spinner if there are other better bowlers. The Indian batsman would murder a below par spinner anyways, IMHO. :happy:

kof98

U19 12th Man
I think the worst part of the squad is Ontong. I don't know where the selectors get the idea he will be a useful spinner, an average batsman but not worth a place in the squad.

On the issue of Boucher , Jennings has said that he believes boucher is very talented and that he needs to perform to his full potential. However had this been about 10 years ago when Dave Richardson retired, I think Jennings would have been hugely in favour of Nic Pothas. So a bit of a contradiction there. Tsolekile and some of the other keepers mentioned have been in good form in the new first class competition but I think for a tour of India (and a short one) would have required the experienced players. Considering that from the beginning the only objective was to get 2 draws.

The most talked about selection was Cullinan after he refused to play against the Aussies last time around but obviously he is highly rated by Jennings.

My prediction is that India will win the series

bryce

International Regular
kof98 said:
I think the worst part of the squad is Ontong. I don't know where the selectors get the idea he will be a useful spinner, an average batsman but not worth a place in the squad.
agreed i thought they would of learnt from that australian tour.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I feel that Jennings & Boucher were on a one way collision course. I've read that they're not the best of friends. Throw in the fact that Boucher has been below average with the bat recently & thats enough for the selectors to ditch him.

biased indian

International Coach
Boje the vice captain and the only spinner of any good withdraws from the touring squad to india :-O

.as the indian police did nto give him any assurance that he wont be called up for questioning

dippenar is the new vice captain

and langaveldt is selcted in place if i remember correctly

twctopcat

International Regular
Joao_Quinto said:
I dont think that SA taking only one spinner is that unreasonable.
I know there is an obvious difference in class but Australia only have 2 (I am assuming that Hauritz didn't go) in the touring squad and lets face it everyone knew that White (and Hauritz if he is there) were never going to play the test series they just went for the experience and to get a feel for the conditions so that when Australia next goes to India the younger players will know what to expect.
I think it is fair to say the the Aussie quicks were the pick of the bowlers for the majority of the series so far, with the exception of that 6 for that warnie got in a match that in turn was the most even out of the three so far.
There is no point in SA picking a player just because he is a spinner if there are other better bowlers. The Indian batsman would murder a below par spinner anyways, IMHO. :happy:
Very true, a good fast bowler will excel everywhere, as we have seen from australia's recent demolition of india and more importantly the dust bowls of sri lanka.