• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most boring player

Western Warrior

School Boy/Girl Captain
Most boring / least exciting player

This is a very subjective post and one bound to cause a little 'robust debate' but I was watching some test highlights of Australia v South Africa from the late eighties and early nineties and I was rudely reminded just how boring a player this gentleman was. I would rather watch paint dry that watching this player bat as there would atleast be more action watching the prior.

Apologies to all Saffie's :D

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Warne bowling to Atherton was some of the most boring cricket I've ever seen, Atherton was dull enough to begin with, then Warne comes on and Athers uses his hamster power to 'put away' long-hops for a single (as long as he hits the gap in the field - otherwise no run). Jimmy Adams and Shiv' Chanderpaul are very dull at times as well.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
The dullest batting I have ever seen is from a near great (also a captain) from England and another England Captain.

Colin Cowdrey and MJK Smith. MJK Smith offered his pads as the first and last and only line of defense.

Those were the days when if batsmen lunged long enough forward, the umpires always gave a 'doubtful benefit' to the batsman. Smith considered this his best recourse to survival in India. I bet his bats didnt lose a slightest lick of oil from his bat (those good old days when you had to oil the bats)after an hour of padding :@

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Tony Blade said:
Mark Richardson
Gillespie
I find those two anything but boring, simply because their game is built entirely on their limitations.

I like seeing Richardson be successful despite the fact that he obviously has no talent.

I like seeing Gillespie deadbat everything because he knows he isn't a batsman and has possibly the biggest annoyance factor of any tailender in the world.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Tony Blade said:
Mark Richardson
Gillespie
I am terribly irritated by Gillespie proving do difficult to dislodge, but believe me this is not boring. If he was an Indian tailender thwarting Warne and McGrath it would be as exciting as Sehwags tonks if not more. Every ball you expect him to fall and there he comes with a dead bat and drops the ball well short of the waiting close in fielders. This is great test match cricket.

Boring..no way.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The most boring batsman I have ever seen has to be Matthew Elliot. He has some days where he can't even get it off the pitch, let alone the square. And even when he is scoring runs, it is quite boring, which is rare.

Joao_Quinto

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Hi I'm new.
The most boring cricketer I've ever seen would have to be me. Playing backyard cricket where the boundaries either side of the wicket are 3 feet from the bat with only one fielder and I still manage to face out a maiden.

On the international stage, Butcher(with the exception of that 170 odd to win that ashes test a few years ago) and atherton are almost unwatchable.

Hit4Six

U19 Debutant
Mark Richardson
Glenn McGrath (line and length is great and all and he's a text book bowler but my gawd doesnt anyone else find that dull to watch?)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mr Casson said:
I like seeing Gillespie deadbat everything because he knows he isn't a batsman and has possibly the biggest annoyance factor of any tailender in the world.
Hoggard does it as well - great to see and a key role still in the side IMO.

Bapu Rao Swami

U19 12th Man
Normally I would say no one is boring, this is what test cricket is all about, to mentally get the edge over the opposition.

However I get your drift, I usually find English and Kiwi batsmen boring(no offense meant).

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Mark Richardson has no talent? that's laughable beyond belief.

How can someone not be talented when they average 47 in test cricket over 4 or 5 years?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Tim said:
Mark Richardson has no talent? that's laughable beyond belief.

How can someone not be talented when they average 47 in test cricket over 4 or 5 years?
You know what point was (clumsily) being made :p

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Joao_Quinto said:
Hi I'm new.
The most boring cricketer I've ever seen would have to be me. Playing backyard cricket where the boundaries either side of the wicket are 3 feet from the bat with only one fielder and I still manage to face out a maiden.
LMAO! Great post. :p

Slow Love™

International Captain
Most boring player I've ever seen was Chris Tavare, who toured Australia as an opener in the 82/83 Ashes. Took about 8 hours to reach 80-odd in the first test, and except for the occasions he was blasted out early, it was more of the same - strike rate in the 20's for the series.

Last edited:

KennyD

International Vice-Captain
I think because Richardson used to be a left arm spinner (i think), and not a particularly good or talented batsmen, but then went away and worked so hard on his batting, technique wise and mentally, to make him a sufficent test opening batsmen. I like him alot, and I wold be very happy if I could do what he has done. I have a lot of respect for Richardson, but I agree that he is not exciting.